Screwdrivers Choices

They look fine to me Gary, as long as the tips are made of good quality steel and are ground correctly they should do just fine.

I suggest that you buy a set of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EZE-LAP-LPAK-3-4-x2-Diamond-Sharpening-Pad-Set-3pc-/191114032404?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2c7f48b514 to allow you to maintain them in good condition. You will find them very useful for other things like shortening stems, screws etc.

• Like 1

If you are working on Seikos I would also recomment a 1.4 and a 2.5 since the 2.5 is handy for the bigger screws in the power train. Most of the other ones for ligne 11 ish to 12 ish are 1.4. Also there is a philips screwdriver that may be very handy to have (1.2 mm) for 7S26/7S36 movements et al (I bought the Seiko made $crewdriver but in my mind any 1.2 mm would do, I'll test this later and post).

A*F is a very decent brand. They have a fairly priced set (small, set of 6) that according to ofrei (French made screwdriver set $67), they would score a solid 9 out of 10 (Bergeon is 10). --- Check out Esslinger: Horotec set of 4 = $23

I can't but repeat myself, get a faceted body screwdriver set. It they roll and fall you may be either buying a replacement tip or redoing the exhistent one (Most floors in Miami are tile, but you'll never know with other materials). If a part is in the way while they are rolling out of control they may sent it to "where the laundry socks has gone before" or worst, they can break pivots or anything....Unless you discipline yourself to NEVER EVER leave them on the table but in its craddle/base/whatever safe place after EACH use.

Edited by bobm12

Thank you for the feedback. These are the Bergeon 30080 Watchmakers Mini Screwdrivers . Since I am just starting out I thought I would invest in a decent few any idea on the most useful sizes? I have small watches to large size 18 pocket watches.

Bergeon are very good, some say the best vs. some say horodec are better. In any case, these specific Bergeon, the traditional ones, are still improved with the newer releases which include the faceted thumb rest. Alternatively, you can use the A*F for savings (or any other good quality ones) and use the Bergeon replacement tips. They will fit the horodec and the A*F!

Try the Bergeon 30081 set. Much better!

Edited by bobm12

bobm12, on 30 Nov 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

I can't but repeat myself, get a faceted body screwdriver set. It they roll and fall you may be either buying a replacement tip or redoing the exhistent one

This is a MUST for your drivers!  You are going to have at least 2-3 drivers on the table at any one time, and you don't want them rolling around.

Most common sizes that I use are the following ... 0.8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 2.0 (2mm for oscillating weights).

I recommend Horotec, I use them and love em!

You can buy them for AU$21 each of the Fleabay ... here's the link and you can choose which sizes you want:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tournevis-Dhorloger-Horotec-01-201-screwdriver-watchmaker-swiss-made-/150865333232?pt=FR_MaisonJardin_Horloges&var=&hash=item68cbdcc305

• 3 months later...

Hi ro63rto,

If the blades are straight, aligned and firm and remain that way when you fit Bergeon blades to them (better quality steel, not what they usually have which can scratch and damage the watches), you will be ok.

I started with a similar set and fitted the good blades. Eventually I moved towards the real thing to never come back to them. In any case, they might still work for you considering quality is very aleatoric so to speak, for the brand.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

I have used A*F for a while now and they are good but I am hoping to purchase professional quality next year. I have done some research and many watch repairs seem to prefer Horotec over Bergeon because of the ball-bearing tops. I think these are what Mark uses.

• 10 months later...

Hi Roamerofold,

Looks like they're French, '' Brevet '' means licence in French & '' mod dep '' ( modele depose ) means ''registered design'' or ''registered trade mark'', quality probably ok ! , hope this helps.

Phil.

I had pretty well researched that

but the question is would these be genuine FAVORITE

post-1485-0-58226200-1446591582_thumb.jp

Does it really matter whether or not they are genuine Favourite.

For a long time I used a cheapish  set marked A*F which have served me well.

When a watchmaker friend sold up he let me have a Bergeon set and as far as I can tell, apart from the knob being a little smoother, there isn't a lot of difference. You need to be using them all day on a professional basis to really say you can distinguish differences.

Another point is that I think the really important thing is the quality of the blades. If the ones you have turn out to have faults then just buy new blades and if you want supposed really top quality then buy Bergeon ones but I'm sure it will be a long time before you can tell the difference. 

It's a known fact that we all get carried away with acquiring tools and we strive for the best but it"s been pointed out many times that "the best" i.e. Bergeon are ripping us of to a ridiculous extent.

You have a box marked " Favourite " who's going to fake that ?  Accept them for what they are. Use them to repair some watches and be happy. Stop worrying about brand names, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is how well you repair watches.

• Like 3

Does it really matter whether or not they are genuine Favourite.

For a long time I used a cheapish  set marked A*F which have served me well.

When a watchmaker friend sold up he let me have a Bergeon set and as far as I can tell, apart from the knob being a little smoother, there isn't a lot of difference. You need to be using them all day on a professional basis to really say you can distinguish differences.

Another point is that I think the really important thing is the quality of the blades. If the ones you have turn out to have faults then just buy new blades and if you want supposed really top quality then buy Bergeon ones but I'm sure it will be a long time before you can tell the difference. 

It's a known fact that we all get carried away with acquiring tools and we strive for the best but it"s been pointed out many times that "the best" i.e. Bergeon are ripping us of to a ridiculous extent.

You have a box marked " Favourite " who's going to fake that ?  Accept them for what they are. Use them to repair some watches and be happy. Stop worrying about brand names, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is how well you repair watches.

Just took the words right out of my keyboard. Its all about the blades.

• Like 2

Good blades are the most important . I bought some blades from Germany . They are really nice . I acctually think they are better then Bergeon . I shall see if i find them . 

Ebay number 291325587494
Edited by rogart63

I'm the other extreme. i purchased a Chinese set that look like Bergeon, I have used them for four years now and only dressed them once. That was only because I made a jig for sharpening them. They have never bent or chipped in all the time I have had them, and all for £5.29 delivered.

The proof of the pudding is long term use!

• Like 5