Soldering Tube Chrono Hand

PeterGe

Hi!

After restoring the hour & minute hands of the valjoux 22, I have to tackle the next problem.

The tube came of the chrono hand.

In a first attempt I tried epoxy but this didn't seems to hold strong enough.

So soldering seems the best next action.

Which solder would be recommendable?

Anyone any experience of soldering on a tube?

This could be more than tricky Peter, capillary action will probably track solder up inside the tube. Ideally it should be riveted in place, but you would need a perfectly fitting collet to hold the tube while riveting the hand in place with the correct set of punches.

• Like 3

If it's brass you could use any low temperature solder. The same that CB tried for soldering dial feets  .But if it''s stainless steel you may have a problem .Maybe silver soldering? Agree with Geo .

Edited by rogart63

There is far too much heat involved in silver soldering for a delicate job like this.

If you had access to a watchmakers lathe, you could hold the tube in a collet in the headstock, and use a pointed tailstock runner to gently swage the end of the tube after the hand has been positioned on it.

There is far too much heat involved in silver soldering for a delicate job like this.

If you had access to a watchmakers lathe, you could hold the tube in a collet in the headstock, and use a pointed tailstock runner to gently swage the end of the tube after the hand has been positioned on it.

Love this post. Makes absolutely no scene to me :) long way to go.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hi!

After restoring the hour & minute hands of the valjoux 22, I have to tackle the next problem.

The tube came of the chrono hand.

In a first attempt I tried epoxy but this didn't seems to hold strong enough.

So soldering seems the best next action.

Which solder would be recommendable?

Anyone any experience of soldering on a tube?

Solder paste is the easiest to use as it needs very little heat. However it is not the strongest.  

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what I tried to do today

3074335bab85e3cf8649ae56d0035006.jpg

Yes indeed, trying to solder on the tube.

Well, it worked, more or less.

The tube is fixed on the hand now but not 100% straight. But I might get away with it. If not I just start over.

bd8b0e5c6275af0a326e6051faf2d586.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2