Swatch Eta 2840 Walkthrough

I think you forgot to post the picture, I can't see it from my end!

Although I can't really take micro pics using my cell, I think all the ones in the thread are correct (meaning just like mine). They work very well but the springs tend to ping away the moment you relax your control, so be careful with those.

Cheers,

Bob

attachicon.gifIMG_20151119_141009.jpg

Is there anyone using pegwood? I've been using modified pegwood all this while and it served the purpose very well.

I have noticed that pegwood is far better for holding the spring steady than say an old oiler/pin. The last encounter with a kif spring I used extra fine Dumont tweezers & a sharp piece of pegwood. Oh & a microscope.

Clock boy, I used only the pegwood without anything else. The way is to shaped the tip of the pegwood slightly concave and to the diameter of the spring. Then press the concave tip on the spring and turn it a little to free the spring from the catch. To replace the spring, press the concave tip on spring and turn a little to get it under the catch. Never once the spring pings off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clock boy, I used only the pegwood without anything else. The way is to shaped the tip of the pegwood slightly concave and to the diameter of the spring. Then press the concave tip on the spring and turn it a little to free the spring from the catch. To replace the spring, press the concave tip on spring and turn a little to get it under the catch. Never once the spring pings off.

Thanks Steven I will try that next time. I don,t get flyers any more by just holding steady when releasing however the latest one was a Bulova watch with a already broken spring so had to be replaced.

The way is to shaped the tip of the pegwood slightly concave and to the diameter of the spring....Never once the spring pings off.

Ah! The underestimated power of pegwood: such versatility! ....and there goes some more $$$ invested in Bergeon crap! Why didn't I keep my money and used this proven old watchmaker's trick all along. But no, tool-itis had to kick in and make me go for "THE TOOL"!   :D

Ah! The underestimated power of pegwood: such versatility! ....and there goes some more $$$ invested in Bergeon crap! Why didn't I keep my money and used this proven old watchmaker's trick all along. But no, tool-itis had to kick in and make me go for "THE TOOL"! :D

I've spent about one grand on some tools from eBay last month. So many nice tools caught my eye during that time and couldn't resist it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On October 31, 2015 at 3:21 PM, bobm12 said:

Swatch ETA 2840 Walkthrough

Based on a summary research, this movement is very similar to the ETA 2801 et al family. Nevertheless, Ranfft doesn't list it as part of that family and instead says it is made only for swatch watches. All in all, the movement comes encased in a laser sealed case made of either plastic or metal. They are supposed to be throw away/disposable watches not meant to be serviced. The plastic crystal is supposed to be buffed when scratched, not replaced, since, again, it is laser welded to the plastic case.

The irony models usually have a pressure sealed backs, being reinforced with a metal ring at this area, and can be opened. Due to the nature of those cases, movements can be found in almost pristine condition once the case is opened. That is, they mostly fail at the lug area where it attaches to the band (plastic breaks).

At times, the case ruptures and then the above does not apply. Also, there exist a belief that in order to fix something in these watches we need to break something to get at it. Example, break the crystal and cut the stem, to get to the movement. Again, it is not necessary in some models.

@My friend Colin: If you are reading this, it is with great pleasure I will be using the cases you so kindly gave me. I know it has been a while but for a busy hobbyist like me, things take time...but they get done...eventually! Always a pleasure to say hi!

So without much ado here is the disassembly of a Swatch ETA 2840:

Swatch ETA 2840 Walkthrough.pdf

To be continued.....

Due to time constraints, I had to do a pdf for faster download. Hope it works well.

Cheers,

Bob

hi i am new to watch repair talk but recently bought a fake hamilton khaki H705450 that when i took the back off found that it has an ETA 2840 movement in it or a fake one.  anyway i cannot seem to open your PDF file.  any ideas on how i can open?  i would like to take the movement apart or at least try to regulate it.  it is a second fast every 5 minutes.  thanks, E

11 hours ago, bobm12 said:

I fixed the link, it should work now....(?)

Thanks for the positive feed back and for letting me know about the glitch!

Cheers,

Bob

sorry bob still not working for me, page comes up blank.  I'm on a mac, not sure if that makes a diff.  tried it on firefox, chrome, and safari...thanks,  e

Hi easears,

I came back from receiving some feed backs from some users about this problem. What I get is that macs sometimes have a knack of saving "invisibly" to the downloads folder. Did you checked that one, just in case? It may be doing that to you since everyone I've talked to has been successful one way or another with the fixed link....just let me know if the problem persists.

Cheers,

Bob