2804-2 Stem Resitance

matabog

I just serviced a 2804-2 which had the problem that when I wound the watch every once in awhile it "slipped". After some advice from a watchmaker it seemed it was a problem with the winding pinion (clutch) and the sliding pinion - their teeth were worn.

So I changed them with a set from a 2842 (from a swatch auto). Under the 15x loupe they seemed identical. Also, it solved the problem, there is no more slippage.

I presented the above because I want to ask your opinion for the problem that I have now:

When I wind the watch the crown turns quite hard IMO. It happens in both directions (both when winding the mainspring and when turning the crown back - when the sliding pinion slips over the breguet teeth on the winding pinion). The problem is also present with the crown wheel off (the one that engages the ratchet wheel). I put silicone grease on the case tube - it didn't help.

Do you think the crown is the problem - namely the rubber gasket in the crown - maybe it got old and hardened? Or do you think it's the pinions that I replaced?

Thank you,

Bogdan

Edited by matabog

Thank you Clockboy, but at 15x, one next to the other, they were identical. I will try to measure them with the micrometer (the rodico method leaves room for error IMO). It's just that I will need to take the pinions out :)

I was wondering if any of you guys ever stumbled upon this problem caused by an aged rubber gasket.

Edited by matabog

Thank you Clockboy, but at 15x, one next to the other, they were identical. I will try to measure them with the micrometer (the rodico method leaves room for error IMO). It's just that I will need to take the pinions out :)

I was wondering if any of you guys ever stumbled upon this problem caused by an aged rubber gasket.

It has to be identical with the same pitch for the gears or it will bind. Fit the old one & if it turns Ok then that is the issue.

Ofrei doesn't have the 2842 in there list . So i reckon it's not the same . You can buy generic parts now also? I saw that while searching for this .

Clutch Wheel for ETA 2801-2, 2836-2, 2804-2 Also called "Sliding Pinion"

Also for ETA 2821-2, 2824-2, 2834-2, 2846  

407/1228 

I have experienced similar.  Try removing the auto wind bridge, and see if that improves the manual winding.  The one movement I has similar problems, it turned out one of the reverse wheels in the auto wind bridge was clogged up with dried oil.

I talked to a watchrepairer I know and it turns out it is normal, because the crown has a small diameter (4mm max) and the old o-rings in it.

@rogart63: I strongly believe 2842 is close to 2846.

Thank you guys for advices.

Bogdan

p.s. another problem that I had with this watch was with the rubber ring gasket between the bazel and the watch case - because it got old it didn't sit quite on it's place and I couldn't close the basel all the way (it snapped in place, but not all the way). So I took out the gasket and it closed just fine. Now I have to find a rubber ring about .5mm thick and aprox 32mm in diameter.

Edited by matabog

I talked to a watchrepairer I know and it turns out it is normal, because the crown has a small diameter (4mm max) and the old o-rings in it.

@rogart63: I strongly believe 2842 is close to 2846.

Thank you guys for advices.

Bogdan

p.s. another problem that I had with this watch was with the rubber ring gasket between the bazel and the watch case - because it got old it didn't sit quite on it's place and I couldn't close the basel all the way (it snapped in place, but not all the way). So I took out the gasket and it closed just fine. Now I have to find a rubber ring about .5mm thick and aprox 32mm in diameter.

That you can find on Cousinsuk . Cost a few £. O-rings i mean .