Cleaning A Watch Movement Video.

I have posted a video detailing how I clean watch movements after I have stripped them to pieces.I use the cleaning solutions manufactured by Quadralene and L&R

The cleaning machine I am using is an Elma SuperElite which is a manually operated machine. This gives me full control over the cleaning cycle, but the disadvantage is that it is not ultrasonic. However, with the cleaning solutions I use this is rarely a problem as great results are achieved.

I also have an L&R varimatic which is fully automatic and has an ultrasonic addon. However, I still prefer my trusty Elma.

• Like 2

Hi Mark, great video, have you arrived at the cycle times by experiment ? is the heater left on during the drying cycle ? Just wondering if there is any risk to Shelac

Peter

If the watch is in a very bad way then I could leave it longer - say 25 mins but for most watches I find 15 minutes to be perfect.

Good point about the dryer. 

I switch the heater on during the final jar spin-off. I leave the heater on but you may notice in the video - I do not plunge the basket down. This keeps the watch far enough away from the heater that it will not soften the shellac. Even then it is still not as hot as my old L&R machine, but it does get the job done. 11 minutes in the heater seems to do the job.

• 4 months later...

I finally got my rinse solution in the mail today and decided to give my newly aquired L&R Veri-Matic Ultrasonic Cleaner a go! I have L&R Cleaning Solution and Zenith Drizbrite in the jars.

I had to put some paper towels between 2 of the rinse jars as the turn table is a slight bit off by just a few mm's. Not that much, but enough to cause parts basket to brush the side of the jar on the spin cycle.

I am also totally amazed a how powerful the ultrasonic module is!  The cleaning machine just sits on top of it, but I had to turn the ultrasonic cleaner down a bit as it was really causing the bits and pieces to rattle!

Now, about the actual performance of the machine...

The parts all came out sparkling! Although, next time I will make sure the parts basket is clean of dirt, dust and tiny fibers....

I have 2 concerns....First, I need to find the best setting for the basket spinning speed for when the basket spins off the excess cleaning solution before moving onto the rinse jars. The speed is controlled by the overall basket speed when in the cleaning cycle. The faster the speed during cleaning, the faster the spin while expelling the liquids. The problem is if the basket spins too quickly while cleaning, the parts get beaten about pretty severely!

My second issue is that the small parts that are located in the tiny parts bin inside the basket are not getting dried durning the drying cycle. I had to put the small parts in the larger basket run them through the drying cycle again to get them dry.

Once I get to know the best settings for the machine to do a complete job, it will make my life a whole lot easier! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2zxWxv-Y4

I just sold two vari-matics with the ultrasonics. They are good machines, but I like the control the Elma gives me. If I want to keep a watch in for longer, I can (without having to adjust knobs).

Do you have the metal cookie cutters at the bottom of the jars? They stop the cyclone effect caused but the fast spin-off. If they are not there then look for some as they really do help when spinning off. Vari-matics have a high speed spin-off by design.

This is my dream machine: https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/elma-solvex-va

Although this is an excellent machine - I used one at the BHI and love it: https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/greiner-watch-cleaning

I just sold two vari-matics with the ultrasonics. They are good machines, but I like the control the Elma gives me. If I want to keep a watch in for longer, I can (without having to adjust knobs).

Do you have the metal cookie cutters at the bottom of the jars? They stop the cyclone effect caused but the fast spin-off. If they are not there then look for some as they really do help when spinning off. Vari-matics have a high speed spin-off by design.

This is my dream machine: https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/elma-solvex-va

Although this is an excellent machine - I used one at the BHI and love it: https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/equipment/greiner-watch-cleaning

Yeah, those are sweet machines! But, I'll have to settle for what I have....plus, it was only $150.

Nice clean machine but loud !.. :D..... thanks for the video

It's very quite when the Ultrasonic part is turned off. But Hey!, that's what you get for $150!

I'm happy with it, even though it's the size of small person, 80 pounds (or 36kg for you natives!)!

• Like 1