Help Diagnose Mysterious "loose Hands" Problem (Vintage Duxot 17J Movt)

chasovoy

Hi all and thank you in advance for any advice. I am a complete noob here, so any advice will help. I received a watch that has mainly sentimental value to me. The watch appears to be 50 or so years old and from what I can tell has no value other than the sentimental one may attach to it. Still, I would like to find out what it would take to make it run properly. The watch seems to be well preserved for its age, but is ailed by a strange issue. The watch runs and keeps good time except that I noticed that once in a while it is wa-a-ay off. I observed the watch more closely to discover that the the minute hand can sometimes "droop" by 10 or even more minutes when you tap on the case of the watch ever so gently. By repositioning the case and tapping on it from the opposite side you can cause the hand to droop back. Initially I thought that may be the minute hand itself was loose, but then I noticed that the hour hand moves with the minute hand when the minute hand "drops" and then I knew this is too big for me to diagnose. I would like to figure out the scope of the issue to estimate how big of a repair I am looking at here. I apologize for the lame low-rez pictures, but I figured this is no rare watch and someone who knows even a little more than I do can classify this movement enough to diagnose what may be wrong here (if it's even movement-specific). Again, many thanks for any light you may shed on my problem. If any additional info is needed, please let me know. I hope it is something I can provide despite my inexperience and lack of proper tools.

leo

post-1535-0-54926000-1445810231_thumb.jp

post-1535-0-56296500-1445810303_thumb.jp

My recommendation is to carefully observe whether the hour and minute hand are always off concordantly. That is, if the minute hand is fast by thirty minutes, has the hour hand advanced halfway between the number markers too? If so, that is a concordant error, likely due to a loose cannon pinion, a Geo suggests. However, discordant errors may be due to both minute and hour hands being loose on their respective pipes. The required intervention between the two is quite different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you for your response. After careful observation I concluded that there is a concordant error (both hands "slip" together, each at its respective pace). So I will proceed on the assumption that there is a loose cannon pinion. Thank you again for your advice.