Jump to content

Jewel spring is a headache to install


Recommended Posts

These jewels and springs are unbelievably small and a challenge to service. I managed to do one with the circular spring, no issues, but this one below is not cooperating. It's located on one of the bridges. Do you have some advice on how to install the spring? There's a tiny indent where I think the spring base goes in. I tried running one spring end under the lip of the chatone but the other side is hard to wedge in place and I'm afraid I'll break it. The other one just like it I lost. It pinged away into the ether. Thanks.

spring.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh the fabulous duofix. Inventor of this style should be roasting in hell for all eternity along with that damn soviet 3 legged circle spring. Anyway I'd say holding it in place with pegwood is the easiest way to install and it also wont fly away. Sharpen it like a flat screwdriver head so u have space to work around it but enough surface to hold it fairly firmly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, rubberteeth said:

Oh the fabulous duofix. Inventor of this style should be roasting in hell for all eternity

Hahaha, true! 

 

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I also recommend oiling through the jewel hole.

I agree. 

9 hours ago, rph952 said:

Do you have some advice on how to install the spring

Yes. Put a thin sheet of transparent plastic film on top of it and work "through it". It'll make it a lot easier and you won't loose the spring. 

Start with one leg, then position the second leg at the widest part of the circle/chaton to slip it in. Then slide back the two legs to insert the head. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

After a long delay, I finally got the shock springs reinserted! I taped down the small bridge that held the jewel to my steel riveting anvil so it wouldn't move around and that helped a lot. The spring on the main body was easy in comparison. I purchased 25 springs from H&W Perrin in Canada ($9 with shipping) and found a good fit for the one I lost. Alex has great videos, which helped me with the spring. This Westclox with a Seiko movement is fighting me every step of the way. I'm sure it was never serviced. Almost every screw was frozen and needed a good soaking. The transmission fluid/penetrating oil combo worked best. The good news is that everything is in great shape.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'll go halves with them John , we can share it 😉
    • Besides locktite Nev, is there anything random that you use to fix in the pivot ?
    • Thanks Hector, I do think though that the problem I am experiencing is specific to Miyota movement in general and the 6T series in particular.  When you describe putting the bridge you are talking about the train wheels.  The problem here is that under that same bridge you have the 4 train wheel, the barrel, 2 extra winding related wheels and the center sweep pinion.  I can mostly put them in their holes but 2 of those (the 4th wheel and the second pinion are completely under the plate so I can't nudge them in the right position.   I managed it with a larger Miyota 8200 series but with the smaller 6T15 it is even worse. Anyway, I'll retry tomorrow evening or this week end.  This evening is going another rock climbing day (going from very light pressure on tweezers to much more force going through the fingers, although in climbing we also want to use the absolute minimum grip which won't make us fall to save the muscle and be able to climb longer routes). to add insults to injury, if you read this thread from the start, I initially messed up the disassembly as I couldn't detach the rotor.  I normally (and I think I did this time too) put all my parts in their individual compartments in the part tray and I am doing my best to be very careful about them.  But in the week and a half it took to figure out how to detach the rotor I somehow lost the screws from the bridge.  I have a few others which will be needed later.  I know they are reference 922-600 but I couldn't find what it means in general term so I don't know if I can buy replacements or an assortment of screws and replace those 2 by others.
    • Something that can happen with a lyre spring, the back of the arms can bind against the shoulders of the chaton cut out where the spring is fixed in when the spring is lifted out of the way. To stop the spring bending or breaking it needs pulling forward slightly before lifting so it clears the edge of the chaton.
    • One way is to file it by hand. Good file with sharp edge is needed. Another way is with the aid of milling attachment. There is one more way, thyat is really only on the lathe, but the arbor has to be attached perpendicular to the axis of the spindle. Will be easier to show pictures than to explain this. I must say 'Good night' as my wife is now awake and is roaring when I get closer to the computer...
×
×
  • Create New...