New Toy Watch Winder

clockboy

They are not bad those, I found out too late after buying the Bergeon Cyclotest, and Final Test machines that there were these Chinese models which do the damn same.  

The green is slightly faster then the Orange FT machine which cycles less per minute.  Bergen have recently updated their watch holders for these models too, so thats another expense I will feel, the current set up is ok, and for added security, I use velcro bands to secure as a anti fall device for watches with fitted bracelets/straps.

15901332269_adeee6b6d7_k.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

My workspace has gone through several iterations since on my quest to save space, so moved my winders off the bench on arms, and then moved my UV lamp underside one of my shelves.

Edited by SSTEEL

clockboy, thanks for the post, these look good.

Do you have a link for the supplier please ?

ssteel, how do you know which speed is best for particular watches. I understand that, if it is too fast, damage can occur to the watch mechanism but how to select. ?

Mike

Edited by Alaskamick

clockboy, thanks for the post, these look good.

Do you have a link for the supplier please ?

ssteel, how do you know which speed is best for particular watches. I understand that, if it is too fast, damage can occur to the watch mechanism but how to select. ?

Mike

I have lost the original link but this is on the Bay Item No. 191325780656

Mike

The speed is minimal between each model of Bergeon Cyclotest, and Final Test Machines.  The Green (Cyclotest) has a ratio of 4rpm, and the Orange (Final Test) has a ratio of 1rpm

*rpm = Revolutions Per Minute.

This video shows physically the speed differences between the two.

Thanks both. I may seem a bit dim but must ask.

Can this machine be used for storing automatic watches long term or is it intended purely for testing them in the workshop.

Also I understand the difference in speed but how would you select the correct one just for watch storage.

Edited by Alaskamick

You would be better purchasing a good quality watch winder for long term storage. These machines will run continually once switched on, and in one direction only, although occasionally the will go in a different direction when initially started.

A good quality watch winder will automatically cycle in the opposite direction as well as having a rest for a few hours to let the spring run down a bit, before automatically starting the winding sequence again. The one I have can be set to different winding sequences.

Geo, any recommendations for a good one that will last. Don't tell me to go to Cousins !!!

I've got Christmas and a 70th birthday soon so could persuade my wife that this item is a must have.  ;)

Found lots on eBay but have no idea which ones are good and which are pretty looking but rubbish.

Edited by Alaskamick

I purchased mine from eBay about five years ago and didn't pay too much money for it. I really can't recommend a specific unit regarding quality and longevity, but this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Double-Automatic-Mute-Watch-Winder-2-0-Display-Storage-Box-Case-with-Lock-/321711556328?hash=item4ae780c6e8 gives you all the programmable options that mine has. I'm afraid you will just have to pay your money and take a chance. What I will say however, is my unit was about the price of the one in the link and it is still functioning OK.

SSTEEL : what is the rectangular cover you use for the watches ? 

Bergeon sell them..

22003240100_601f87514f_b.jpgDust_Cover_Bergeon_6759-2 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

But I point blank refuse to pay that in this instance. 

I get mine from the bay seller below, and have eight of them now.  They are just under €25 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271078711134?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1