Jump to content

404 Club Reboot


404 Club Reboot  

13 members have voted

  1. 1. Due to inflation our 404 club price cap seems a little unworkable, so here are some options to re-boot ihe idea - first three are what common currency to choose (pic 1 out of 3) the rest 4-10 are the price cap (pick 1 out of the 7 options)

    • Do you think the price cap should be in equivalent US $ value?
      0
    • Do you think the price cap should be in equivalent £ value?
      7
    • Do you think the price cap should be in equivalent € value?
      0
    • How about a price cap of 8.08 (twice 4.04)?
      0
    • How about a price cap of 10.10 (to represent the hand position of pictures of watches 10:10)?
      5
    • How about a price cap of 6.99 (approximte value of 4.04 corrected for inflation)?
      4
    • How about a price cap of 6.91 (the first example of an irregular prime 691 - and lets face it we are all pretty irregular)?
      2
    • How about a price cap of 8.90 (12th number in the Fibonacci Sequence 89)?
      1
    • How about a price cap of 14.40 (13th number in the Fibonacci Sequence 144)?
      0
    • How about a price cap of 9.11 (emergency number in many countries)?
      0


Recommended Posts

When I record how much I have spent on each watch I include the postage.  UK EBayers seem to be charging £5 minimum these days on postage.  Have made a couple of job lot buys recently - based on the average price this one could be 404 reboot project 

Bad photo from eBay - 1 of 4 watches for a total of £21.19.

A Medina with an MST 385 movement - Soaked in oil but looks like it will run again!
image.thumb.png.638c29152f63abddbfa5c563e4798a04.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Speaking of 404 reboot.... I have another category of watches... Those that I wished I had not gone above £4.04 when I bid for them!!!

Someone probably should have also told me to stop before I put a new stem, crown, crystal, escape wheel and then adjusted the end shake on the escape wheel. This was all on watch that had a EB 8800 pin lever movement in a worn gold plated case with a snap on case back (basically everything I try to avoid!).
 

Edited by ColinC
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ColinC said:

Speaking of 404 reboot.... I have another category of watches... Those that I wished I had not gone above £4.04 when I bid for them!!!

Someone probably should have also told me to stop before I put a new stem, crown, crystal, escape wheel and then adjusted the end shake on the escape wheel. This was all on watch that had a EB 8800 pin lever movement in a worn gold plated case with a snap on case back (basically everything I try to avoid!).
 

When you are having fun restoring false economy exits via a window. Your time and money dont always matter Col , what does matter is that you breathed new life into something that was dead and destined for a scrap heap. That has to feel good doesn't it ? Some of my favourite watches to wear are my first attempts at repair. With a face that only its repairer can love , Rolexes pah !!! give me a Smiths pin pallet any day of the week. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

When you are having fun restoring false economy exits via a window.

Too true!  I particularly enjoyed fixing the end shake issue with my brand new Chinese horia clone.

I have now used that to improve 3 non runners - would have paid for itself already if I ever got round to selling the projects I have worked on!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, ColinC said:

Too true!  I particularly enjoyed fixing the end shake issue with my brand new Chinese horia clone.

I have now used that to improve 3 non runners - would have paid for itself already if I ever got round to selling the projects I have worked on!

That's great Col, i firmly believe once you have gained some knowledge you just have to jump in and crack on. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2024 at 5:27 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

Your time and money dont always matter Col , what does matter is that you breathed new life into something that was dead and destined for a scrap heap.

That's what my cardiologist keeps telling me after i get his bill.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Lol so you're ready to be thrown on the scrap pile ? You best get all your watches serviced and fixed then if you ain't got long left 😆.

Let's just say my mainspring isn't as strong as it used to be and I'm a few jewels short of a full movement. We won't go into my balance staff. 😮😉 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

OK I'm going to call this.... and the winning combination is...... £10.10

So the value to be equal or less than £10.10 or equivalent in your currency, exclusive of reasonable shipping charges and/or spares.

To start the ball rolling here is my first posting as a 10:10, this is a Buler that I picked up in October 2023 for the sum of £3.00, apart from the strap and cracked crystal, all is original:

Before shot:

1717557596720.thumb.jpg.0f50ab3e7bc68e7b103c41496cb261f6.jpg

And the movement:

1717557596714.thumb.jpg.7c3b43167385fdf483f0b3839edf270f.jpg

All went smoothly with no drama, so the whole thing took about 5 hours, here is the final result:

1717557596709.thumb.jpg.a3da5ad03e7856d39c2f028c766e2091.jpg

The date is manually set (not quick set... hence the wrong date)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Waggy said:

OK I'm going to call this.... and the winning combination is...... £10.10

So the value to be equal or less than £10.10 or equivalent in your currency, exclusive of reasonable shipping charges and/or spares.

To start the ball rolling here is my first posting as a 10:10, this is a Buler that I picked up in October 2023 for the sum of £3.00, apart from the strap and cracked crystal, all is original:

Before shot:

1717557596720.thumb.jpg.0f50ab3e7bc68e7b103c41496cb261f6.jpg

And the movement:

1717557596714.thumb.jpg.7c3b43167385fdf483f0b3839edf270f.jpg

All went smoothly with no drama, so the whole thing took about 5 hours, here is the final result:

1717557596709.thumb.jpg.a3da5ad03e7856d39c2f028c766e2091.jpg

The date is manually set (not quick set... hence the wrong date)

Why heavens to Betsy, Scott did you wimp out mate ?  10.10 pah,  and you already had a 404 in toe.  I'd be ashamed to call myself a Yorkshireman if i ever stooped so low.  Talk some sense into these people Rich , ffs moderate will ya mate 🤣.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK. So, let's get organized a bit. This is a fun thing, so nothing too serious. We'll either need a new, separate thread for the new 10:10 limit, and it'll need a name:

404 Club Reboot, 404 Club Reloaded, 404 Club Lite, 404 Club 2000 (like the old sci fi flicks), 404 Club Remix... 10:10 Club

... and keeping under the original 404 limit goes into ...

404 Club Prime, 404 Club Alpha, 404 Club Classic, 404 Club Elite, 404 Club Ninja, 404 Club Hard Mode...

OR

Continue under the original thread with the new 10:10 limit, but if you snag one under the original 404 limit, you get to (must!) post your find with an image of a gold star. Any gold star image you find on the internet that you want to post.

Thoughts?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

OK. So, let's get organized a bit. This is a fun thing, so nothing too serious. We'll either need a new, separate thread for the new 10:10 limit, and it'll need a name:

404 Club Reboot, 404 Club Reloaded, 404 Club Lite, 404 Club 2000 (like the old sci fi flicks), 404 Club Remix... 10:10 Club

... and keeping under the original 404 limit goes into ...

404 Club Prime, 404 Club Alpha, 404 Club Classic, 404 Club Elite, 404 Club Ninja, 404 Club Hard Mode...

OR

Continue under the original thread with the new 10:10 limit, but if you snag one under the original 404 limit, you get to (must!) post your find with an image of a gold star. Any gold star image you find on the internet that you want to post.

Thoughts?

404 Club Tropicana ?...... drinks are free, fun and.........................ok thats enough of that i was never a Wham fan.  🤔   404 Club Hard ? Now that's a proper bloke's  club, i can think of more than one connotation that fits that name . I was thinking of relaunching my career and becoming a kids TV presenter 🤔 ...maybe not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

404 Club Part Deux, 1010 Club

Or to take the value out of the equation (as inflation will eventually make the value limit go higher):

Budget Watch Club, Bargain Watch Club, Dirt Cheap Club, Club Thrifty

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gpraceman said:

Or to take the value out of the equation

That makes good sense...... thinking of a good name.....

The Cost Conscious Challenge

Operation Skinflint

Cheapskate Challenge

Polish The 💩

 

??

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, tomh207 said:

@Waggy operation skinflint has a certain resonance with me for some reason 

 

Tom

Haha tight arse from Scotland by any chance ? 😅

1 hour ago, rjenkinsgb said:

The Yorkshiremans bargain? (If it's a bargain to a Yorkshireman, it MUST be cheap!)

 

Lol right on the nail Rob 😅 but then is any price above free to a Yorkshireman a bargain 😅 ?

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have we had " Tight Timers "                "Dollar Dials "  " Low dosh Discoveries"   "Canny Cases"    "Ticker Thrift finds "   "Chrono Catches"  "Wristwatch Hit"        " Way-hay Watches "                       "Stingy strap-ons" 🤣

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So much obscure British English slang to parse... Not the stuff you typically hear on Top Gear or Doctor Who...

Cheap is part of it, but it's also fodder for learning. The point, from my perspective at least, is that it's low cost, low risk watches to practice on. Sometimes, you get lucky and end up with some real diamonds in the rough. I got enough of the "cheap" stuff very quickly with all the pin levers and full plates. The fun for me is in hunting for the fully jeweled, all stainless Swiss watches. Some people have gotten really lucky with genuinely nice watches with recognizable names under the bar. Focusing solely on the cheapness of it... cheapens it. I don't know what to do with that brainwave really other than put it out there...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

So much obscure British English slang to parse... Not the stuff you typically hear on Top Gear or Doctor Who...

Cheap is part of it, but it's also fodder for learning. The point, from my perspective at least, is that it's low cost, low risk watches to practice on. Sometimes, you get lucky and end up with some real diamonds in the rough. I got enough of the "cheap" stuff very quickly with all the pin levers and full plates. The fun for me is in hunting for the fully jeweled, all stainless Swiss watches. Some people have gotten really lucky with genuinely nice watches with recognizable names under the bar. Focusing solely on the cheapness of it... cheapens it. I don't know what to do with that brainwave really other than put it out there...

No that makes sense specs, personally i like some of the cheap stuff,  in part it was designed so that anyone from any walk of life could have a watch on their wrist. But essentially you are correct this thread is about the hunt for real gems, I'm sure we are all more thrilled after opening a parcel and being faced with something really nice that reveals itself, than a bag full of cheapos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'll go halves with them John , we can share it 😉
    • Besides locktite Nev, is there anything random that you use to fix in the pivot ?
    • Thanks Hector, I do think though that the problem I am experiencing is specific to Miyota movement in general and the 6T series in particular.  When you describe putting the bridge you are talking about the train wheels.  The problem here is that under that same bridge you have the 4 train wheel, the barrel, 2 extra winding related wheels and the center sweep pinion.  I can mostly put them in their holes but 2 of those (the 4th wheel and the second pinion are completely under the plate so I can't nudge them in the right position.   I managed it with a larger Miyota 8200 series but with the smaller 6T15 it is even worse. Anyway, I'll retry tomorrow evening or this week end.  This evening is going another rock climbing day (going from very light pressure on tweezers to much more force going through the fingers, although in climbing we also want to use the absolute minimum grip which won't make us fall to save the muscle and be able to climb longer routes). to add insults to injury, if you read this thread from the start, I initially messed up the disassembly as I couldn't detach the rotor.  I normally (and I think I did this time too) put all my parts in their individual compartments in the part tray and I am doing my best to be very careful about them.  But in the week and a half it took to figure out how to detach the rotor I somehow lost the screws from the bridge.  I have a few others which will be needed later.  I know they are reference 922-600 but I couldn't find what it means in general term so I don't know if I can buy replacements or an assortment of screws and replace those 2 by others.
    • Something that can happen with a lyre spring, the back of the arms can bind against the shoulders of the chaton cut out where the spring is fixed in when the spring is lifted out of the way. To stop the spring bending or breaking it needs pulling forward slightly before lifting so it clears the edge of the chaton.
    • One way is to file it by hand. Good file with sharp edge is needed. Another way is with the aid of milling attachment. There is one more way, thyat is really only on the lathe, but the arbor has to be attached perpendicular to the axis of the spindle. Will be easier to show pictures than to explain this. I must say 'Good night' as my wife is now awake and is roaring when I get closer to the computer...
×
×
  • Create New...