Stereo Microscope

pointless IMO, everythings big & clear & its not designed to be used with an imaging device (others are) so it wouldn't be a fair representation of what you'd actually be seeing if you used one. I've been using this now for a few months & if it broke tomorrow I'd replace it like for like, it ticks all the boxes for my needs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I turn the base 180 degrees and put something on it to weigh it down, this gives a bigger working area.

With the light I have it much higher near the bottom lenses so it can't get close to the hand.

I also use the 5x eye pieces from them, it means I can view a whole movement in one without only seeing part of it.

• Like 1

There is good advise here! I placed it in my wish list already! Thank you Lee for the review (maybe good stuff for your blog?) and the rest of the gang for the nice input/solutions. Now I gotta have it!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I purchased one of amscope's zoom microscopes from eBay and absolutely love it. Mine is the trinocular 3.5x-90x zoom scope. It comes with two additional lenses: one is .5x and the other is 2x. Without adding any lenses it zooms from 7x-45x. I prefer this setting because it offers the greatest flexibility while still allowing room underneath to work. The 2x lens is nice because it allows for greater magnification but you need a great light source and lose a lot of depth of field. And speakin of lighting, I would get the best light you can afford. I have the 144 led light and am happy most of the time with it. There are a few occasions where I need more light so I may eventually look into adding another one. They sell a great product and have excellent customer service. Best of luck!

For the Brunel scope they sell a camera adaptor to fit any 35mm SLR camera to one of the eyetubes but you also need something called a T2 ring to convert to your make of camera so that is 30.83 plus VAT and postage. The T2 ring converts the photography adaptor to the lens fitting of your camera if it has such a capability.  I do not profess to know the ins and outs of this sort of photography but I have seen the "T2" ring mentioned elsewhere for photography through a microscope. 

Unfortunately for me my cameras are the digital type where the lens automatically comes out when they are turned on as I am a point and click type and none of these adapters seem to work on a bog standard digital camera.  I will muddle by using my iphone for the odd pic which is very fiddly and frustrating but just about works if I am determined enough.  Keeping the hands steady with the phone camera the correct distance from the eyepiece is the trick, the rubber eyepieces are helpful in that respect but it is a bit of a carry on.

Cheers, Vic

• 4 months later...

Hi folks, as I'm getting more into this hobby & after reading a few members use stereo microscopes for assembly & inspection work. Ive decided to raid the holiday fund & make a purchase.

Can anyone recommend one if I've got a budget of approximately £300 also I assume it needs to start at 5 x magnification.

Thanks in advance ☺

You may be able to pick up a stereo dissecting microscope, with a reputable brand and excellent lenses, on eBay, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271740822245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Then there's this sort of thing, brand new, and Chinese, but I've seen these being used in labs around the medical school, and they seem OK. One big plus is that they have a cold-light LED ring. And there's no need to change lenses - it's a zoom control:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7X-45X-Industry-PCB-Inspection-Dissecting-Zoom-Power-Stereo-Microscope-LED-Lamp-/111349298384?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item19ecef74d0

Or if you win the lotto, then one of these would be great - this is very similar to the head of the operating microscopes I use in surgery. The prices on this one are in Aussie dollars:

http://www.edmundoptics.com.au/microscopy/stereo-microscopes/olympus-sz51-sz61-zoom-stereo-microscopes/3628

Hey thanks Geo, I've read the reviews & I'll be placing my order this weekend. Looks like a nice piece of kit & I'll have change left over from £300.

You may be able to pick up a stereo dissecting microscope, with a reputable brand and excellent lenses, on eBay, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271740822245?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Then there's this sort of thing, brand new, and Chinese, but I've seen these being used in labs around the medical school, and they seem OK. One big plus is that they have a cold-light LED ring. And there's no need to change lenses - it's a zoom control:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7X-45X-Industry-PCB-Inspection-Dissecting-Zoom-Power-Stereo-Microscope-LED-Lamp-/111349298384?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item19ecef74d0

Or if you win the lotto, then one of these would be great - this is very similar to the head of the operating microscopes I use in surgery. The prices on this one are in Aussie dollars:

http://www.edmundoptics.com.au/microscopy/stereo-microscopes/olympus-sz51-sz61-zoom-stereo-microscopes/3628

Thanks for taking the time to point me in right direction. I studied the ones you suggested & although I really liked the one with the zoom feature I've decided after reading a review by Lee on the Brunel am1 long arm microscope. I'm going to go with the Brunel. I think the long arm will give me the ability to work comfortably under the scope without keep knocking it & disturbing the movement etc.

Again many thanks

• Like 1

You're very welcome :)

I know you've made your decision, which is good. But I'd just point out that my own preference - and that's all it is - is for a zoom setup rather than having to change lenses. That way, you have infinite control of the degree of zoom between lowest and highest, and can adjust so that whatever you're looking at just fills the view.

After I posted the above, I checked at work, found an Olympus very similar to the eBay one I posted that sold for $142, and had a play with it using an anatomical specimen. Brilliant image, loads of working room, etc. I just removed the two little spring clips which just lift out. 

Then I tried one of the LapSun ones with the cold light LED ring. They are used in one of the neuroscience labs - they use them when they're operating on lab mice and rats.  For an inexpensive Chinese microscope, I was very pleasantly surprised. Seriously thinking of getting one now, to be honest. :)

But whatever works for you is great, and reading Lee's reviews of the Brunel one was very interesting. You could even have the base clamped onto the desktop or screwed down, to stop it tipping forwards, if the counterweight wasn't sufficient. Enjoy the world of miniature :)