Stereo Microscope

After doing some research and pondering the idea of getting a microscope, I found one on the 'bay this weekend. It was delivered just a few hours ago. It is a 1970's American Optics Stereo Star 569. I really can't complain taking into consideration that the price was ridiculous and it included delivery. It does need some cleaning up, but other than that it is in very good shape.

It came with 15x optics and the zoom range is from .7-3.0x. I think this will do nicely for my needs. I have not touched a microscope since biology class back in the 70's. So it is going to take me some time to get used to it.

21289946260_0ca6261a76_c.jpg

Once I finished setting it up, I noticed that I have approximately 4-5 inches of clearance to work under the scope. I just have no idea if that will be enough for working with watches.

I am thinking about getting some 10x opticals and see if that increases the work area. I also found a 0.5x Auxiliary lens and, according to what I've read, that will increase the work space. I may give that a try.

Looking for some advice from those with experience working with these types of scopes.

• Like 1

I'm using the similar Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 5 & 7 scopes and you should get the 0.5x lens. It'll give you an extra 50% or so of working distance. It's probably a good idea to get to 10x eyepieces as well to get a zoom range suitable for horological work.

With my setup (10x eyepieces + 0.5 Barlow lens) I get 168mm (6.6") working distance on the StereoZoom 5, with a zoom range of 4x to 20x.

On the StereoZoom 7 the working distance is 127mm (5") and the zoom range is 5x to 35x.

$_12.JPG

• Like 1

I have a similar scope I use it above my lathe and for really close work to see what is actually happening.

I see how this setup will be convenient for lathe work since it has a great travel range. I don't own a lathe (don't even know how to use one) but would love to learn.

• 5 months later...

I have been looking for a while for a desktop microscope. I have stereo microscope above my lathe but now need a desktop microscope but not sure what magnification I will need. I guess a stereo microscope is the way to go but any advise will be much appreciated.

i am in the same boat. a stereo 'scope is the way to go. i am a bit in the dark when it comes to magnification. what to buy. some of the 'scopes on fleabay are cheaper to buy new, i have noticed. a trinocular is nice for being able to take pictures of your work.

The desktop microscope I use is this

Free Shipping !! 3.5X-90X! 50/50 SPLIT SIMUL-FOCAL MICROSCOPE DOUBLE BOOM STAND TRINOCULAR STEREO ZOOM MICROSCOPE

http://s.aliexpress.com/qQ3mInia

Arrived within 7 days of ordering & it's fantastic. I've enclosed some images using the 0.5x lense. TBH I've never needed the 1x lense that was also supplied with the microscope as I really don't need to work that closely. 74020f3f19bfa2affe559fd1d8f299fe.jpg2a323a6d41595a4e0c8aa3f0332e5527.jpgcf1854ab0e18a202bc0d7408fcb8861e.jpg

Normal 150mm working distance 350ca05b46842c7e0810fbe1d108aeba.jpg

Zoomed in to cap jewel 1916af0c3a6c18bf36ddc0bcb38a3bd1.jpg

It's TRINOCULAR so you don't have to switch between eyepiece & camera.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is what I use, though mine is 10x - 15x  so far I have only used the 10x magnification, has good working distance below lens, and price is not too bad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AmScope-10X-20X-LED-Binocular-Stereo-Microscope-Boom-Arm-with-Gooseneck-Light-/400429192095?hash=item5d3b70939f:g:Pw4AAOSwbdpWYnDh

After a lot of searches I picked up last night this well used Olympus microscope. The clarity of image is incredible aided by a ring light so no shadows. The eyepiece is 10x but what the total mag is I am not sure but it is big. The other feature is you can adjust the aperture so in effect you can look at the whole movement in detail & the light source is via a "Intralux" unit.   It needs a clean but the absolute quality was the selling point for me. Price £200.

post-234-0-87512000-1458378794_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-22973300-1458378805_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-06697600-1458378814_thumb.jpg

That's a nice m/scope CB.

Is that an aperture adjustment or a zoom adjustment? i.e. when you turn it does the image in the eyepiece get bigger and smaller, or does it get lighter and darker?

If that control affects the brightness of the image without changing the magnification then it is indeed an aperture control and what it does allow you to do is to increase the depth of focus at the cost of a darker image, but the numbers on the control ring don't look right for that.

If turning the ring changes the magnification then it is a zoom control and the level of magnification is worked out by multiplying the eyepiece mag (10X in this case) by the number on the ring.

The numbers that I can see on the ring are 0.7 and 1.0, giving 7X mag and 10X mag, but I suspect that it goes up to 3.0 or 4.0 or higher, to give 30X, 40X etc.

The nice thing about this is that if you want a less powerful range you can get 5X mag eyepieces, or for more magnification 15X or 20X eyepieces. And eyepieces can be had for very reasonable money compared to the m/scope as a whole.

The light source is a nice touch too. 

My set up (Wild Heerbrugg M5) in standard trim has fixed settings for 6X, 12X, 25X, and 50X and to honest I rarely use it beyond 25X, and most of the time it is either 6X or 12X.

I do have a variable aperture module that I can add in which also ups the magnification by 1.25X, so that then gives me 7.5X, 15X, 31.25X, and 62.5X. This doesn't often get used because of the light loss, but again, 15X mag is more than enough.

If I were to add new eyepieces I would go for wide field 5X. This would give me a wider field of view, and a brighter image, without sacrificing the magnification range that I use.

I have seen these available for as little as £15 a pair but I have no idea of the quality.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2015 at 8:18 PM, Rob said:

I'm using the similar Bausch & Lomb StereoZoom 5 & 7 scopes and you should get the 0.5x lens. It'll give you an extra 50% or so of working distance. It's probably a good idea to get to 10x eyepieces as well to get a zoom range suitable for horological work.

With my setup (10x eyepieces + 0.5 Barlow lens) I get 168mm (6.6") working distance on the StereoZoom 5, with a zoom range of 4x to 20x.

On the StereoZoom 7 the working distance is 127mm (5") and the zoom range is 5x to 35x.

Hello Rob. I was wondering if you could help me being you have a Bausch & Lomb Stereo Zoom 7 microscope. I have one too and I want to buy the .5x barlow lens but I can not find any reference to it on the net other than a general barlow lens with a 48mm thread size. Is this the right size threads? Does it matter if I purchase one made for any scope as long as it has 48mm threads? I also saw a reference to a .25x barlow lens that gives you 10 1/2" working distance in the manual but can not find it anywhere. Do you know where I might be able to find this lens? Many thanks in advance, friend.

1 hour ago, taran2ula said:

I want to buy the .5x barlow lens but I can not find any reference to it on the net other than a general barlow lens with a 48mm thread size. Is this the right size threads? Does it matter if I purchase one made for any scope as long as it has 48mm threads? I also saw a reference to a .25x barlow lens that gives you 10 1/2" working distance in the manual but can not find it anywhere. Do you know where I might be able to find this lens?

The lenses have a special construction with metal pins on the sides, so you need lenses specifically made for the StereoZoom 7. (The ones for the StereoZoom 5 are different for example.)

The catalogue numbers for the lenses are:

• 31-27-08 = 0.25x
  • 31-27-04 = 0.5x
  • 31-27-05 = 1.5x
  • 31-27-06 = 2x

I have all except the 1.5x one, and I got them all from eBay. They usually show up there from time to time.

Note that the 0.25x one has a working distance of 266mm which makes it unsuitable for horology work unless you have very long arms.

Here are some images with dimensions:

Lenses2.jpg

Lenses1.jpg

• Like 1

Well thank you kindly for your reply. It is seemingly impossible to find any lenses for this model scope so I guess I bought the wrong scope for what I intend to do with it. I am going to be setting small gem stones and I need some working distance in order to get the graver tool under thew scope. I will return this scope and buy something else. Many thanks for your help.

Hello friend. I found an .05x lens but my stereo zoom 7 did not come with a stock objective lens. Do I need a stock objective lens in order to use this .05x lens? Or can I only use the .05x lens by itself without a factory objective lens? Do you know if there instructions to set the alignment and all that jazz? Many thanks friend.

Just now, taran2ula said:

Do I need a stock lens in order to use this .05x lens? Or can I only use the .05x lens alone? 

The lenses are used on their own and are plug 'n play. No need for aligning etc.