Stereo Microscope

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had problems adapting an ordinary Olympus stereo scope for watch work.

Rather than buying a genuine boom which would cost a fortune I manufactured one using an old retort stand from the science dept.

I was still left with the problem of tipping over, even though the base was cast iron. I ended up filling the base with lead which is easily melted into th base. Finally filled the odd holes with resin ( car bodywork filler ) and ground it flat.

It is now stable and works a treat.

I will post photos if anyone is interested. Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, this is my first post on this forum after reading almost everything for a couple of weeks and seen all Mark's video's (great input).

I am quiet new to service mechanical watches, done some purchases on tools.

Still waiting for a great part of my order from a Dutch company, one thing I didn't order yet are magnifying glasses.

French company deliver much faster as my Horotec screwdrivers delivered right on time.

As I have some problems with sight, I wear glasses (-6) and one eye has a scar right in the middle of my sight (sorry I don't know how to explain for I am Dutch) I have no focus on my right eye. Just no focus, everything around is okay, just the middle is blurry. Normally day use no problems as the eye and mind compensate for it.

Positive thing, I have great closeup look without magnification needed, left eye only that is.

But for magnification I have a question, I have great comfort reading computer monitor, has someone combined magnification with computer monitor like digital microscope?

It is not very expensive i think, like the http://www.carson.com/microscopes/digital-microscopes/1476-mm-840 but U have to work from computer screen instead of  the real time movement.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum Forester. I think you might be better getting an Optivisor with 2.5x to 3.5x magnification. You could always cover one lens if required. A 10x loupe would also be required for lubricating the escapement.

The electronic unit that you mention is listed as having magnification of 75x/300x which is far too powerful for watch repairing.

Hi forester & welcome. I to suffer with terrible eyesight, however as Geo suggests the digital microscope you mentioned would be far from suitable for the job in hand. I currently use an optivisor for normal work & a conventional zoom microscope for inspection. The 0.5 Barlow lense on my microscope gives 3.5 to 45x zoom. At 45x zoom I'm literally looking at specs of dust etc.. Also, I've tried looking at a monitor whilst working on a movement & for the life of me my hand eye coordination would not function that way.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks all, 

The 75x zoom in my example is somehow overrated I think.

I think the actual zoom level is much smaller.

There are models, much more expensive, with larger (longer) working area.

One of my expectations was the hand eye coordination would be difficult as you are not looking direct at the object, so I'm glad DJT2 has some experience with this and confirm it is hard to work with.

So I think I go with the Optivisor to start with.

I like to have something i can look at the jewels with? If there properly oiled or worn in some way or the other. Looking at pivots for example . 

Have a Bergeon x12 . But i think it's to difficult to see anything in . Had a nice old  tv lens for the camera that i turned upside down . It worked okey but was difficult to take pictures and then put them in the computer to look at them . In normal i use a Bergeon 2 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been patiently waiting for this baby to show up .  I took Vics suggestion to get a stereo microscope to work on Accutrons . It's from Amscope , 7X x 45X , mounted on a boom , LED light ring , and has a 1.3 MP camera that comes with it . 

I've never used one so I hope this one works good .

post-808-0-02189100-1440455727_thumb.png

post-808-0-78171000-1440455747_thumb.png

post-808-0-62346500-1440455766_thumb.png

post-808-0-77895200-1440455786_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still fiddling with adjustments , software downloads for the camera , and the space for it...it's kinda big with the trinocular head , double boom , and camera . I think I might get the reduction Barlow lens that will give me a bit more room under the lens .....but as I said , I still learning how to use it . 

BTW , the microscope I ended up receiving is an upgrade from the pics I posted with the double boom . And I don't believe the software allows video capture , only snapshots , although the live camera shots are active video .

Amscope has a lot of videos on YouTube , and so far their customer service has been great with questions .

Edited by ricardopalamino

Hi Ricardo, it's definitely worth getting the 0.5x reduction lense which should give you 3.5 to 45x magnification. I got a similar microscope of Aliexpress, probably similar to the amscope model you received. 2302f9a1c185e63a7d176b46137ca837.jpg it's a trinocular like yours and has simul-focal. I purchased a 5mp hdmi camera to go with it. The problem I found was the camera was always out of focus to the subject I was viewing. I had to constantly adjust the zoom to take images/video. After purchasing 3 different cmount reduction adapters 1/3, 1/2, 1/5 ce2c85648bf6a172122e5cd92a88ae69.jpgI realised if I used the 0.5x cmount adapter, then placed a 3mm spacer between the camera & adapter it worked a charm.

• Like 1

This is the camera I purchased 1c7ca2b8eea6bbda3d3c2cd6385aac24.jpg

5MP TV HDMI USB Industry Digital C-mount Microscope Camera TF Video Recoder DVR,lens for microscope camera

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5MP-TV-HDMI-USB-Industry-Digital-C-mount-Microscope-Camera-TF-Video-Recoder-DVR-lens-for/1836066761.html

Really is fantastic, I particularly like the fact I can just put a memory card in & it doesn't have to be connected to the computer. I do have it connected to a monitor via hdmi to review images etc. But I'd definitely recommend it.

• Like 1

All this gear looks terrific. I am looking forward to some photo's of little bits of accutrons etc.

The Brunel scope I have is the same as the one Lee has, in fact he helped me with info for the purchase that meant I got a good deal. The only extra I bought was two 20x wide field eye pieces that bring my magnification up to 75x which is ok for me.

I think I will leave the photography side to those who know what they are doing and stick to snaps with my camera and devices, it looks like too much brainwork for a lazy git like me.

Cheers,

Vic

All this gear looks terrific. I am looking forward to some photo's of little bits of accutrons etc.

The Brunel scope I have is the same as the one Lee has, in fact he helped me with info for the purchase that meant I got a good deal. The only extra I bought was two 20x wide field eye pieces that bring my magnification up to 75x which is ok for me.

I think I will leave the photography side to those who know what they are doing and stick to snaps with my camera and devices, it looks like too much brainwork for a lazy git like me.

Cheers,

Vic

Howzit Vic , I'm on a vacation right now , but when I get home I'll post some Accutron pics . I was amazed at a pic of the index mechanism with the teeth on the index wheel visible , the small misalignment of the pawl jewel , and the pile of debris at the end of the index jewels .

The best bargain around 

I have a similar unit  I was able after some trial and error to find a LED bulb that worked.  I found that rather than a single bulb I found a bayonet bulb that has 5 led's in it that work very well and stays cool.   I use my loupe up to 10 x then for 20 x and more I use the scope.  I have a video but its too big to upload   I paid $175.00 USD for mine a few years back from the listing attached group.    One on my best investments 

Thanks all

Jim

post-345-0-91906100-1441733463_thumb.jpg

A friend just helped me   remember this is me trying to hold my phone camera over one lens   20x    The unit goes up to 40x    came with two sets of lenses  10x and 20 x   with two view ports 1x and 2 x  

I thought it was a great deal for 175.00  USD    

Sincerely,

jim

• Like 1