Stereo Microscope

One thing about optics: if you are very close to something it is very likely that your depth of field will be very thin. Macro lenses on cameras often offer great close-up capabilities but the depth of field can often be measured in millimeters.

I'm planning to add a 100mm macro lens (I already have a 50mm macro). The main difference between the two will be that I will be able to position the 100mm farther away from the work (to allow room for better lighting). More light mean you can use a smaller aperture which will give you better depth of field.

As I recall the cheapies that plug into your computer don't really allow for adjusting aperture so you're left with whatever the manufacturer decided.

And while not a concern while "live viewing" be aware that published photographs showing some item in a "macro" view likely use a technique called "focus stacking" where many images are taken from the same view point with different focal depths and then all of those are "assembled" into a completely sharp image by using just the "in focus" part of each image stacked into a single image.

Edited by grsnovi
added comment re: focus stacking
  • Like 1

Looks like decent working distance. Given that working distance, it's likely stereo. One eyepiece is adjustable, the other isn't. Bottom lit doesn't do you a ton of good save when inspecting for cracked jewels, and given the supposed age, probably gets a little warm. Another user recently bought a somewhat similar looking scope, and had issues getting barlow lenses to fit; ended up 3d printing an adpater. You guys have a lot more to choose from in the UK than we do here. For my money, I'd ask the seller for more information/photos. If you find out it does what needs doing, go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend a ton of time on it.

If you're fine with non-trinocular and a non-boom arm setup, you may find the AmScope-type scopes can be had for barely more money without having to deal with any damage and the critical ability to get the parts required to make it usable for your aims.

3 hours ago, Tiny said:

So I have found this scope but I can't find any Information on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133955503459?hash=item1f305ec563%3Ag%3AOcwAAOSwsUphrWzm&LH_ItemCondition=3000

can anyone help

Hi Tiny. The boom arm will give you a lot more space to work with. My swift which is very similar to the amscopes has 300mm underneath the optical lens. This is useful went you want to pick up the movement and check around it. My only grievance is the choice of eyelens is limited.  10x 20x 30x. I only ever use the 10x. I did manage to get a 5x but the field of view is the same as the 10x, which made it pointless. It'd ok, but I do want something better. Let me know if you want a picture up of it, might give you an idea what look for. 

38 minutes ago, Tiny said:

So you don't need a barlow lens with this one ?

thank you for you advice Rich.

Barlow lenses are fitted between the scope and the eye piece to increase their magnification. Well they are on a mirror reflecting telescope. The black cover that has x1 wrote on it has the objective lens inside. Amscope do a x2 and x3 if you can get one. This does a similar job to the barlow and increases the mag. of the eyepieces by that value. The Amscopes come as standard with a x10 eyepiece (ocular lens) pay a bit for additional ones. The x 10 has been just fine for me, occasionally using the x20 if I want to get right inside to see what's going on

Not watchmaking related, but microscopy related and a good explainer behind why some kinds of lighting for microscopy may be preferred. 

Short version: Polarizing filter over the lens helps -- if you have a polarized light source. The flexible goosenecks look silly, but provide useful adjustment. 

Edited by TimpanogosSlim

27 minutes ago, Tiny said:

So I've found a stereo Microscope and knowing nothing about the but can the eye end be rotated 180 deg as the one I'm looking at is the wrong way round as in image278542378_3963266217131931_3452983303050980101_n.thumb.png.79c808cc4ad9d611a474ffb06f472976.png

Virtually certain you can.  Normally, there is a hole in the stand and the microscope head drops into that hole and is fastened with a threaded ring from the bottom.

36 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Yes cool I found this one for £25.00 I can't see the make also I was just wondering would I be able to buy extra eye magnification for the scope

@LittleWatchShop

For £30.00 delivered I think I going to pull the trigger and buy it

Eye pieces are pretty standard.  The objective lens arrangement is harder to tell with no name and the image you have.  I think it is worth a chance.

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Virtually certain you can.  Normally, there is a hole in the stand and the microscope head drops into that hole and is fastened with a threaded ring from the bottom.

Hiya Tiny. It just looks like the eyepiece  mount is on the wrong way round

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Yes cool I found this one for £25.00 I can't see the make also I was just wondering would I be able to buy extra eye magnification for the scope

@LittleWatchShop

For £30.00 delivered I think I going to pull the trigger and buy it

A good starter T. Yes you can get other eyepieces. I have for mine. But the x 10 is the most used

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

@LittleWatchShop

well it's better than the one I have lol 

I don't have a stereo scope I do have a usb that I've got a stand coming for by the way that was £20.00 so really I'm made up

You might be quids in there mate, I hope it's OK for you. Ask the seller a few questions regarding it's usage and that it works OK. That way then if you get it and it's no good , ebay can step in and help you get you a refund based on the sellers replies to your questions. 

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

It was from a little old lady on facebook if it's no good I think I could double my money on the bay if no good but it's a start 

Easily T. Grab it mate, it will definitely come in useful . Post it up when you get it as well. How you getting on with the seikos. Did you see the info watchweasol put up for you regarding part supplier

1 minute ago, Tiny said:

@Neverenoughwatches

Thanks mate yes I'm doing much better now I've got some med's in me.😜 Yes I've seen ww reply and links top man I love it on this forum everyone is so very helpful.

That's what it's all about buddy. Being happy, staying positive and enjoying everyday of life. I can't wait till you get your scope, that will make a difference for you. Working through the seikos will keep you busy for a while, you can teach me something  about them as I've never worked on one. And yes Watchweasol is really nice kind bloke, I love him .

This is slightly off topic, but YT just recommended this video to me.

The microscope in question is slightly out of most of our price ranges, but the results are absolutely amazing, and the watches being examined are pretty stunning too.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1