Edmund

Crown Needed For Illinois Pocket Watch Size 12

Question

Dear friends,

This small centenary pocket watch of my collection came to me without a crown as you can see. 

post-1450-0-37511600-1443886364_thumb.jp

This is a pity, since the mainspring and balance test as working and everything else seems to be in good condition.

post-1450-0-20018400-1443886365_thumb.jp

The stem sits correctly inside the sleeve and can be adjusted to two positions (winding/time setting).

post-1450-0-15734100-1443886366_thumb.jp

I have taken some measurements in case any one has a spare crown of the correct size:

Crown (base): 4.6 mm.

Sleeve (outer diameter): 3.36 mm.

Stem (length): 9.44 mm.

Thread (length): 1.72 mm.

Thread (width): 1.14 mm.

Square end: 0.99 mm.

This grandpa-watch really misses its old ticking days! 

Please have a look in your spares. Thank you in advance!

8 answers to this question

Alright, so here is my conclusion. At the moment I feel it will be is easier to buy a replacement case with a crown than a replacement crown on its own. So I am marking this case as 'solved'. Thanks to those who contributed their thoughts.

I am still stuck with this one, sorry. Any more advice/help anyone, please?

For your reference, the case was manufactured by the Elgin Giant Watch Case Co.

Edited by Edmund

I have a feeling that the stem may have been broken off with the crown.

When you fetched the movement out was the stem already in the hand setting position.

This is where it has to be to get the movement out of the case.

In that position there should be quite a long amount of  stem showing.

I think you will need to locate a stem and a crown so you have to identify the correct crown as well. 

Can you list the serial no. off the movement please. Not visible at the moment it needs to be a larger magnification or just give the no.

Edited by Alaskamick

Hey Alaskamick, welcome to this thread!

I have a feeling that the stem may have been broken off with the crown.

Oh, it could be, but I just checked again and I can guarantee the stem looks complete (unless someone has cut it very neatly).

Can you list the serial no. off the movement please. Not visible at the moment it needs to be a larger magnification or just give the no.

I think this is what you are going to need.

attachicon.gif$_35.JPG

Yes, that is exactly the crown! You can see it here too:

post-1450-0-08511100-1457293017.jpg

In this case the bow also matches my model. So where can I get this crown?

That's the hard part. It's now a matter of searching.

I don't know anywhere that sells this type of thing as a matter of course. You will have to search and ask if anyone has what you want.

Also look on eBay for a doner case. Won't be cheap I'm afraid.

This is your watch I think

Grade: 228

• Manufacturer:Illinoisquestion.png
  • Manufacturer Location:Springfield, Illinois question.png
  • Movement Serial Number:2425111question.png
  • Grade:228question.png
  • Model:2 question.png
  • Estimated Production Year:1912 question.png
  • Run Quantity:200 question.png
  • Total Production:34,520question.png
  • Size:12squestion.png
  • Jewels:15jquestion.png