Seiko Perpetual Calendar - How To Reset And Fit A New Battery. Watch Repair Tutorials. 8F32

Mark

In this video I am showing how to correctly fit a new battery and reset the calendar on a Seiko Perpetual calendar watch. Applies to Cal. 4F32A, 8F32A, 8F33A, 8F35A the battery is a lithium 2412. In this video I am showing how to correctly fit a new battery and reset the calendar on a Seiko Perpetual calendar watch. Applies to Cal. 4F32A, 8F32A, 8F33A, 8F35A the battery is a lithium 2412.

This video illustrates the correct way to remove the old battery without damaging the watch circuit board which is paper thin and easily damaged.

Also, it illustrates that you can easily break the coil and points out where the coil is on this watch movement.

It then goes on to illustrate how to reset the calendar information so that it retains it's memory. This involves shorting certain contacts with the positive side of the battery in order to set the Leap Year, The month and the day.

Care must be taken when changing the battery on a seiko perpetual calendar as it is very easy to damage the paper thin circuit board - and the circuit is very costly to replace.

Click here to view the article

• 3 months later...

Hello Mark,

I never realised there were so many pitfalls in just changing a battery,  with the Seiko the potential for disaster is great.  Is the setting information in the instruction book that comes with the watch or do you have to join a secret Japanese society to find out?

Next question,  are you self taught or have you had  training under a master watchmaker?

The video is as usual 1st. class and crystal clear,  should you ever give up watch's you would undoubtedly be able to gain employment in the film industry.

RogerC

I never realised there were so many pitfalls in just changing a battery,  with the Seiko the potential for disaster is great.  Is the setting information in the instruction book that comes with the watch or do you have to join a secret Japanese society to find out?

Seiko produces service data sheets.

Next question,  are you self taught or have you had  training under a master watchmaker?

I did an old fashioned apprenticeship, although I am always learning new stuff even now after all these years.

The video is as usual 1st. class and crystal clear,  should you ever give up watch's you would undoubtedly be able to gain employment in the film industry.

Thank you. The Coen brothers better watch out :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...