Introduction

Davy911

Hello all just want to make a quick introduction. My name is David and I am an avid watch collector mainly divers and chronographs from the late 50's to mid 80's being my preferred vintage. I have always tinkered with all things mechanical and after rebuilding a 1982 Porsche 911 engine with nothing more than a book and some online help I figured I can tackle most any job. I recently put together a watch from off the shelf parts using a cheapie ETA 2824-2 clone movement which worked fine until one day the stem came loose when changing the date. I decided that as it was a cobbled together project there was no way I was taking it to my watchmaker but rather would tackle the repair myself. I disassembled the watch and found some information which pointed toward the keyless works bring the problem. Sure enough after taking off the dial and date wheel parts it was indeed the keyless works. I stripped this out and on examine the parts could see how poorly made they were so I ordered NOS parts. I got the new parts fitted them back and voila problem solved. I have since repaired another old Fortis five watch I have had for years which had a similar problem although this just requires resetting the works. I have now taken a huge leap and have stripped down a valjoux 7730 movement out of an old wakmann I have had for years which has never really worked properly. Only thing I have found broken at this stage is the mainspring and the flyback lever which I have ordered. I am however struggling to find much information or service advise on this movement. I know it is similar to the Venus 188 but is it that similar? Anyway if anyone can help I would appreciate it.