The Atlas Watch Co. Goliath

Blacklab

Fixing up a friends silver Goliath pocket (big pockets) watch movement signed The Atlas Watch Co. The case & dial were in a bit of a state but have cleaned up nicely (note to self take a before pic in future), the movement is in fine fettle & will be serviced in due course. These are not an uncommon item on fleabay but there's very little info on the net, so I am unable to date it etc. So far I have discovered that the Atlas Watch Co. was registered by Stauffer, Son & Co. in 1892, they were generally used as travel watches & sat inside a silver or wooden case.

post-80-0-27680300-1443129312_thumb.jpg

The main stumbling points are as follows:

Enamelled dial has a chip at 6 what filler is best for this?

Hairline crack running from 6 to centre. I have been informed that denture cleaner can take care of this, but I am concerned that it may take care of the dial markings as well.

Crystal opening 61.35. Nothing in the pocket watches range, so we are into clocks. The problem being the clock crystals supplied by Cousins are stated as not being particularly accurate on size. Any recommendations.

Sub second hand reqd. size is 0.35 x 9mm. Biggest I can find is 0.25 x 8mm.

And finally missing bow 15mm+ internal diameter with a 9mm opening in solid silver, circular & plain. I cant seem to find any bows other than the oval chrome multipacks.

Any advice & info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Blacklab

Fixing up a friends silver Goliath pocket (big pockets) watch movement signed The Atlas Watch Co. The case & dial were in a bit of a state but have cleaned up nicely (note to self take a before pic in future), the movement is in fine fettle & will be serviced in due course. These are not an uncommon item on fleabay but there's very little info on the net, so I am unable to date it etc. So far I have discovered that the Atlas Watch Co. was registered by Stauffer, Son & Co. in 1892, they were generally used as travel watches & sat inside a silver or wooden case.

attachicon.gifatlas.jpg

Hairline crack running from 6 to centre. I have been informed that denture cleaner can take care of this, but I am concerned that it may take care of the dial markings as well.

Crystal opening 61.35. Nothing in the pocket watches range, so we are into clocks. The problem being the clock crystals supplied by Cousins are stated as not being particularly accurate on size. Any recommendations.

And finally missing bow 15mm+ internal diameter with a 9mm opening in solid silver, circular & plain. I cant seem to find any bows other than the oval chrome multipacks.

I will look in my stash tomorrow for the sub second. I purchased a few of the bay some time ago & I may have a spare one. I will also look through my stock of pocket watch crystals.

• Like 1

Hi BL.

Regarding cleaning dirt from the hairline crack, I use neat household bleach on a cotton bud to clean enamel dials and found it works very well. Make sure that you give it a good wash with water to remove all traces of bleach afterwards.

I haven't tried this, but how about touching up the chipped area with Tipp-ex then applying a little lacquer with a very fine paintbrush.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifatlas.jpg

No luck with the crystal also all my spare pocket watch hands are 8mm long but appear to have the correct post size 0.35 (see pic) If this is OK send me a PM with a forwarding address & I will send.

post-234-0-49436000-1443169030_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the hand CB, arrived in the post yesterday. You are a true gent & scholar.

The crystal turned up Edmund, the 61.5 is a drop in fit (just) so I will probably order a 61.6 to get a heat-shrink fit, as I always find gluing problematic.

@clockboy: what is that tool you are using to measure the inside diameter of the hands? Where could I buy one?

Thank you!

Bogdan

Bergeon 30464

I have found it very useful when adjusting hands to fit. It is also supposed to be Ok for measuring jewels & bushes but I have never tried.

• 1 month later...

Its been on the back burner for a while but now finished:

post-80-0-08382400-1447707739_thumb.jpg

..oops, that was the before pic I forgot about (Nurse get my pills). Here's how we're looking now:

post-80-0-71463500-1447707399_thumb.jpg 

I managed to fashion a bow from 3mm sterling silver wire supplied by Cooksongold.com, very good suppliers of findings, bullion, gemstones etc.

Big thanks to:

Clockboy - for the hand, although I used a fettled chrono one in the end. Please PM your address & I will return it.

Edmund - for the lead on the crystal- perfect.

Geo - for the bleach tip. Its worked really well. The hole was filled with Bergeon 1590 white wax.

.............couldn't have done it without your help. Cheers!

• Like 4

Stunning work. There you have another ticking fellow who is going to survive us all.

Did you use any special tools to create the bow? I precisely need to restore my great grandfather-in-law's silver watch, that has a missing bow, so your comments could come very handy.

Edited by Edmund

Its been on the back burner for a while but now finished:

attachicon.gifP1020983 r.jpg

..oops, that was the before pic I forgot about (Nurse get my pills). Here's how we're looking now:

attachicon.gif20151116_203706 r.jpg

I managed to fashion a bow from 3mm sterling silver wire supplied by Cooksongold.com, very good suppliers of findings, bullion, gemstones etc.

Big thanks to:

Clockboy - for the hand, although I used a fettled chrono one in the end. Please PM your address & I will return it.

Edmund - for the lead on the crystal- perfect.

Geo - for the bleach tip. Its worked really well. The hole was filled with Bergeon 1590 white wax.

.............couldn't have done it without your help. Cheers!

Great result Blacklab really nice looking watch. PS keep the hand in your stock you never know!!!

Stunning work. There you have another ticking fellow who is going to survive us all.

Did you use any special tools to create the bow? I precisely need to restore my great grandfather-in-law's silver watch, that has a missing bow, so your comments could come very handy.

Very basic work - just bent it around a suitable piece of round steel (a socket set extension in this case) gently tapped with a nylon face hammer, ends cut with wire cutters rotating while gently applying pressure which rounds off the cut & helps in fitting into the stem tube. Silver hardens quite quickly when worked so no further hardening was carried out. The bow is more of a decorative item on this watch, I wouldn't suggest putting a chain on it as it may not hold in place.