Widening My Chronograph Collection

GeorgeClarkson

So today I received the set of spare Landeron movements I had bought last week. I received some spares, and 4 incomplete movements, various models, and a dial.

Movements are completely dirty, will definitively need a good clean on my Elma, and the dial has also some patina, which actually I like.

Here the pics:

chronograph_13.jpg

chronograph_12.jpg

chronograph_11.jpg

chronograph_9.jpg

chronograph_8.jpg

chronograph_7.jpg

chronograph_5.jpg

chronograph_4.jpg

A very fast clean (by no means to make it working perfectly) and I put some parts together with  the best looking movement, to have a working watch.

I do not have proper cases for the chronographs as of yet, but I am still looking. Here my 3 chronos:

chronograph_2.jpg

The Walker and the Bovet are Landeron based, while the Gigandet is a Valjoux 7733

Sorry for the low quality pics, my mobile phone is just too bad...

• Like 2

Today I dedicated a couple of hours to the lot of landeron movements. I managed to build one complete working movement up to now, but to do this I had to use pieces from the other movements. I believe I can still build another complete one with some over spares I have, but need to check.

Today I dedicated a couple of hours to the lot of landeron movements. I managed to build one complete working movement up to now, but to do this I had to use pieces from the other movements. I believe I can still build another complete one with some over spares I have, but need to check.

Atta Boy , You're on a roll ~~~~~~~

I took some pics of the movement once assembled. Please note the movement was not duly serviceed but only roughly cleaned just to remove the old oil and grease and put together to see if I could make a complete movement, so it is stained, full of scratches and not really in the best condition, but oiled as it should be. If only I could figure out to upload from my cell phone...

And here's finally a couple of pics of the movement assembled (sorry for the extreme bad quality, my mobile phone is not the best one to make such detailed pictures...):

1.jpg

2.jpg

Accuracy and timing are not tested yet, I am sparing some money to buy a proper timegrapher... but at least it works... 1 of four... Now on to the  next one!

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

Actually I would talk about a "sibling" movement: there are a lot of similarities, like with other chrohographs.... but the differences are not only aesthic, but both movements are not so far apart either...

Should I chose one, I'd opt for the Landeron, since it is more decorated and decorative. Else I like them both, really.

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

Luck has been looking the other way lately... on of the pivots of the coupling clutch gear broke inside the lower jewel while I was testing the movement, apparently it was already damaged and my testing gave the final blow.

Now I need a complete coupling clutch (part 8080) or just a new gear. Problem is, I cannot correctly identify the Landeron model no. this clutch belongs to, since the design is somewhat different from the models I can find reference of (and Ranfft is of no help, since he is using the same picture for several Landeron movements...)

Since of the spares I bought only 2 had the clutch, and one is already mounted and the one that broke is the second one, I am out on the search for a new part... wish me luck!

And finally the Walker Landeron 248 movement has found a new home... I found a NOW Landeron 248 case on eBay, and jumped on the occasion. This is the still not final status, since some things need still to be done, but it is finally a complete watch!

post-806-0-55056300-1445169090_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, as usual.... Here the watch in all its glory with a leather band that was sent as gift from the seller of the case (that was nice indeed)

post-806-0-95106300-1445169189_thumb.jpg

Things still to do: replace the glass since it is badly scratched (and it did not come with the case but with another movement) and the crown/stem, that apart from being well used, the stem is a bit too short and does not lock inside, falling off the watch, and I am also not able still to set the hour properly.

post-806-0-53221000-1445169268_thumb.jpg

While I wait to find the parts for those Landerons, I presented myself with a nice Seiko 7a38-726a which was declared as non working, but I managed to easily fix it. The watch was covered in soil and dirt, so it went through several baths... The picture is of the watch on my lap, so sorry if it is blurry or too dark.

post-806-0-88843700-1445793157_thumb.jpg

To tell you the truth, it all started with quartz... A Seiko 7a34-7010 I inherited from my father when he passed away, some 4 years ago. It sat in a drawer for a couple of years until I decided to take a look at it, before the battery could eat out the most of the movement inside. Fortunately I found a forum dedicated to this family of quartz chronographs, and the rest is history...

Edited by GeorgeClarkson