• 3 weeks later...

Hi, from what I am realizing in cleaning clocks and watches, there simply is a total lack of watch cleaning machines in the U.S.A.  What seems to be available is using an ultrasonic machine with the heater turned off.  A vendor recommends filling the ultrasonic tank with water and placing parts in baskets in the jars filled with cleaner and rinses and run the machines.  I know there are used L& M machines on eBay, but if that is being by ultrasonics so be it.  Any thoughts? Stephen in Thousand Oaks, California

In my opinion it depends on how many watches/clocks you are going to clean. For the occasional clean then a good ultrasonic cleaner/s is perfectly good & will give really good results. I now have a re-furbed L&R which also gives great results but requires little attention during the cleaning process & it dries the parts as well.
I still have my ultrasonic machines & I use them for the larger clock parts & for cleaning watch cases & strapes etc.
In the Ultrasonics I have one with Elma cleaning solution & and in the other a Elma rinsing solution & I then dry with a hair drier. It takes longer using an ultrasonic but gives very good results.

To be honest modern state of the art Ultrasonic Watch cleaning machines is a professional level tool, those of us who have picked up L&R machines are buying machines from the 40's-70's which makes them more affordable for hobbyist. If you can find a L&R Varimatic, and ultrasonic unit, then there is a place in San Rafael,California that will refurbish them for a moderate price, the ultrasonic unit is converted over to solid state, the companies name is Electronic Instrument Service, also there is Time Machine Repair, where they sell both used and new machines which appears to be in New Jersey.

Now if your question is more aimed at is it worth getting an ultrasonic watch cleaner, then yes, but like everything in Horology, it depends on your level of need versus you level of funding. While it is perfectly acceptable to have a single ultrasonic to service both watches and clocks (simply use a glass jar to place your watch cleaner and parts into, then float it in the clock cleaner in your ultrasonic), if you can afford getting a new or refurbished ultrasonic watch cleaner, it is much easier and nicer, then you have the automated Varimatic makes it even better and you are able to break down a watch and set it up for cleaning, then start the cleaning process while your working on different watch.

The only time I ever used any type of machine with clocks was on the better travel alarms and swiza movements, I used an old national cleaner for them.  All other clock movements were cleaned in the old traditional ways. With watches I had a L&R Varimatic machine with the ultrasonic attachment, cleaning fluid L&R cleaner and rinse, this I found to be the best cleaning machine that I had ever used giving excellent results.

6 hours ago, Oaksclocks said:

there simply is a total lack of watch cleaning machines in the U.S.A

Actually that statement is incorrect there are watch ultrasonic cleaning machines available in the US. Unfortunately as the number of people repairing watches decreases the price of the tools increase. In this case increased dramatically but they are available.

So I have a couple of links first one conveniently has a price the rest don't have a price but the last time I saw price for the second link 17,500 versus $13,500 for the first one. Then yes there are other ones out there but unless you've won a lottery a really big lottery isn't much point in discussing. Third link for those of you that are curious what a $17,500 cleaning machine looks like YouTube video. Then the shop I work at has one of these it does a phenomenal job of cleaning things. It also makes a really interesting sell when it's running for the most part it's pretty cleaning except that the end where it sounds like Darth Vader. I assume it's purging the chambers of vacuum just makes a really interesting sound when it does that.

Then the last link when I was googling this came up. PDF magazine the particular issue is on cleaning even though the the machines once again are astronomically expensive there is still a lot Of interesting things.

Then clock repair is easier because the tank ultrasonic machines are available in a variety of sizes and prices because they used for so many other applications than cleaning watches or clocks. So if you have a tank type cleaning machine placing cleaning fluids in beakers or jars suspending them in the machine works really well for home cleaning. I have a really tiny little machine I use it with a beaker works really nice.

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product3738.html

http://www.julesborel.com/s.nl/it.A/id.39816/.f?sc=31&category=991505

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F67g_F_L14

http://www.awci.com/wp-content/uploads/ht/December2012.pdf

38 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

watch  cleaning machines?  who needs them.?  if it is a hobby,  one should enjoy cleaning.!  also;  cleaning is part of a proper inspection.

Proper inspection is done before cleaning and again after cleaning that includes all parts even the screws.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Oaksclocks said:

Hi, from what I am realizing in cleaning clocks and watches, there simply is a total lack of watch cleaning machines in the U.S.A.  

Oaksclocks,

I think that it depends on what you are willing to invest and your level of skill. Even as a casual hobbiest, I simply can't put out big $$$$ for cleaning equipment. (unless I can get it on the cheap). I agree with oldhippy and vinn3, inspection is one of the keys to proper diagnosis and repair, 90% of what I have experienced in the process of repair, is due to being able to observe what isn't operationally correct, even with that said, cleaning is only part of the process. The better the tools you have, the better the results. If you have the coins to spend, then by all means do it! Hope this doesn't cloud the waters on the subject.

So as the subject has come up before in the past multiple of times here's a link to cheap ultrasonic cleaning. So I went to eBay did a search for partial description of the one referenced in the link below basically $30-$50. The only thing is there cheap they look similar are they the same? Then while you're on eBay do a search for ultrasonic cleaner all sorts of machines come up much bigger tanks for just a little more money.

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/4619-ultrasonic-cleaner/

Then images attached the little ultrasonic machine was purchased from the local drugstore extremely long time ago I think it lasted about 20 years before it finally died. Normally in the descriptions you don't want to put glass anything solid on the bottom of the ultrasonic it's supposed to do bad things but this machine came with the beaker that's in the machine and Instruction specifically said put the bakery and fill with water worked fine. It probably would've been better though if I had separate jars for the fluids as opposed to having to pour the fluid back into the plastic containers I'm storing the fluid in.

Then when little machine died somebody gave me the ultrasonic tank you'll notice there is a plastic piece on the bottom the beaker is not on the bottom. Then my sophisticated dryer the white nozzle on the left is a hairdryer. So as you can see your cleaning set up with ultrasonic doesn't have to be expensive.

clean-1.JPG

clean-2.JPG

clean-3.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi! thank you for all what yo'u share with us! I am new on watch repairing, just as a hobby. I had never known there were things such as ultra sonic cleaners, thus, I would really appreciate that any of you helped me with these questions...

1) Should an ultrasonic cleaner be enogh to clean watches when you just do it as a hobby?

2) Do all ultra sonic cleaners come with a "basket" so that the pieces you place in don´t touch the bottom?

3) Although it would work with water and detergent, is there any special solution to clean watch parts with an ultra sonic cleaner?

4) Should there be any specific cleaning solution, you just put that solution into the tank?

From what I´ve been reading I understand that most of you pours just water into the tank and once the basket is placed you put the watch parts inside small jars with the cleaning solution. These jars don´t touch the bottom of the tank due to the basket and the ultra sonic effect still does it job although the pieces are inside a basket, is that right?

I apologize for my ignorance :unsure: and will really love that you answered me.

1 - Yes, for a hobbyist a small ultrasonic cleaner should be fine.

2 - I think most consumer ultrasonic cleaners will come with a basket. Larger more professional models might require that you buy baskets as accessories.

3 - Water, a small amount of dish washing detergent, and just a few drops of ammonia make a great solution for cleaning bracelets and cases.  For cleaning the movements, I use Naptha, and then 99% pure (anhydrous) alcohol as a rinse. These I don't put directly in the ultrasonic tank, but in jars. Then the jars are put in the ultrasonic cleaner with water in the tank around the jars.

4 - The above water,detergent, and ammonia solution can go directly in the ultrasonic tank. Just as you would if you were cleaning jewelry.

The Naptha that I use is VM&P (varnish makers and painters) naptha. You can also use  Ronsonol type lighter fluid, it is almost the same. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi All

I'm just learning this as a hobby.  

I see that Esslinger here in the US sells cleaning machines that range in price from $35 here https://www.esslinger.com/gemoro-sparkle-spa-ultrasonic-jewelry-cleaner-new-and-improved-model/

up to $700 here https://www.esslinger.com/cleaning-supplies-1/?sort=bestselling&page=3

There are also a number of demagnitizers here https://www.esslinger.com/demagnetizers-1/.  My tweezers are already magnitized!

What is recommended for someone who's just learning and plans (hopes) to fiddle with cheap vintages pieces from time to time?

Thank you

Charlie 

• Like 1

That blue 39$ demag can be bought from china for 7-8$. I have it and it has worked fine for me. I'd strongly suggest you don't pay 40$ for something that costs less than 10$. It's the same thing just branded differently and sold for a lot more money.

• Like 1

Note: I used to recommend Esslinger here but no more after I had a bad experience with them and will use them in the future only if there is no other way! 

I've bought the demagnetizer for about $7 from eBay and the cheapest ultrasonic on Aliexpress (around $22) 5 months ago. since as an amateur, I don't have so many watches to clean yet and must say that so far even though it's a small one (about 6.5" X 3.25") it is working very good for me with no problems, and sometimes in the future when I'll have the need for a bigger one I'll spend the money and space for it.

BTW: Old Hippy is right. one magnetizer I've bought on eBay stopped working after a day and after I've gotten my refund bought another one which is working fine now. So if you can buy it for £15 go for it and be safe.

Ultrasonic search on Aliexpress

Demagnetizer on eBay

• 1 month later...

You usally get what you pay for  :thumbsd:. I bought a machine called ulsonix.  Not sure that you can buy that where you live? But for the money it's a very good machine. I bought a cheap machine first and had to change it 4 times within the garantie period of 2 years. Before i bought the Ulsonix . This ulsonix cleans the watch parts much better then the cheap one does. 

i use the smallest 0,7 liter machine. Check the web on ulsonix. You can buy it from Germany. 

Edited by rogart63