Is that the guy that has a seemingly bottomless pile of crudded-up Seiko's that ship out of the Philippines? At least those are from a tropical environment, which Russia very much does not have.

Thanks for the feedback, all...thanks, Mark....I had little doubt that you would not sign off on cutting a corner like that...I knew it would not be the right way to do it, so that, I won't do...

Again, thanks.

-Tom

• Like 1

They make me think of lab rats...after they are used up in the lab they are disposed of...only being movements they are sold on ebay!  :)

I buy some of those once in a while and feed them and care for them properly...they are sometimes good for spares or to make one full movement out of the bunch...just sometimes! :)

Yeah, that last sentence was about the watches not the rats! :D

• Like 1

Where DOES Ramon get them from? !?

Bottom of the sea? [emoji1]

Well, think about it - Dive watches? Don't they sometimes fall off? 

Typical beach / dive site  recovered with a metal detector stuff. Could have been sitting for years in a salt water environment, thus the verdigris :-)

Had some good ones from Ramon over the years, a little slow posting but well worth the wait. He obviously knows some good Philippine fishermen who have given up catching fish & just go out & trawl for lost divers watches - a very lucrative trade. 

When I buy individual watches from Ramon I have about a 50 percent recovery rate, even those like I posted most of the crud is on the alloy of the rotors, get quite a lot of good spare parts from them, last batch I bought 27, of those 7 were 6119c's and I reckon I could build at least 4 good movements from them - all pot luck!

ro63rto, I have 3 nice Seiko 5 Sports 100 like that out of 4 I purchased, sometimes you can successfully restore the crystals by a bit of grinding and polishing, they stand proud of the bezel enough to do in situ, though I can see yours has some chips and needs replacing, nice one!

Max

Chinese product on steroids.......... :nurse:

I got my "Ultra"-sonic today. Indeed it takes 2xAA, parallel ! So, this means that the little electro-motor, with a small eccentric, runs on only 1.5V.........how boring !

Lets crank it up 3x.......or perhaps 4x? Yes, it takes 6V, draws over 0.5 Amps and for sure: something is happening !!  :D

4x more oomph out £2.99.......... 20.000 waves / minute !!?? Now we are talking !!  :thumbsu:

I found a 5.5 V DC adapter and it seems to be quite happy. Obviously there is more strain on the shaft and winding's, but at 1.5V it was a "pensioners" speed.

Now it's in the fast-lane.........how long it will last.......... I think if you don't let it run for hours........ still a long time .

Bursting in flame? It's just 5.5V and it has its own water on top :D

Of course, you can let it run on the 1.5V.............perhaps forever! So is the cleaning time.................

• Like 1

Myself I think he pays the kids that scour the rubbish dumps in the Philippines for them, probably a Peso per hundred. :D

bingo! i thought that as well. i can see a bunch of those urchins combing the beaches, scuttling between tourists.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I am out shopping for loads of equipment, tools and so and I almost forgot about how I will clean all the parts :)

On eBay there is a vast variety of different cleaners, I came across this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600ML-Digital-Jewelry-Glasses-Watch-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Cleaning-Machine-35W-/152015232796?hash=item2364d05f1c:g:BSUAAOSwv9hW5nTz

Anybody using these?

Or any other cleaner for budget of 30£?

These ultrasonic cleaners use only usual tap water?

Thanks for your help.

I have a very similar one that I got on the bay used for 15$ US. I use tap water in the cleaner, and then put movement parts in a beaker with cleaning solution and then set the beaker in the water. I usually run two cycles, for a total of six minutes or so, seems to do the job. 

Cheers!

Edited by dadistic
  • Like 1

Thank you,

what kind of cleaning solution you put into the beaker? And the beaker is glass one?

I guess you can't just put anything into the cleaner because you could damage it in the long term right?