I use a Sparkle Spa 1780 which has enough room for a 400 ml beaker and a 100 ml beaker at the same time. I have a bunch of mesh baskets to distribute the parts in such a way that flat surfaces can't stick together while in the cleaner. Then I have ready another 100 ml beaker outside the cleaner with the cleanest rinse. So, all baskets and other large parts go in the 400 ml with L&R Extra Fine Cleaning Solution. After letting the ultrasonic go 3 times (it is timed automatically), I take all the baskets and loose parts and put them in the 1st 100 ml with L&R Rinsing Solution (#3). I let the machine go another 3 times and transfer to external 100 ml which will go in the 1780 after I'm done with everything I have to clean. This system allows me to clean and rinse at the same time when I have more than one watch to clean (often). I hand dry all parts with a watchmaker hand pump, this way I can do a close examination (again) of the part in question while at it. The way I distribute parts: in a small mesh basket all the screws. The balance wheel goes alone in a basket or is the last to clean in the 400 ml beaker all by itself. Before cleaning, all jewels are pegged (Bergeon peg wood sticks sharpened to fit) to remove old oil. Jewel caps et al go in a 50 ml beaker an gently agitated with glass agitator in lighter fluid and observed with a 10x or greater lense. If anything is too small for blow dry, it goes on lint free paper.

My system permits to reuse fluids several times, and inspect the integrity and cleanliness of all parts. When first 100ml beaker is too dirty it is replaced with second 100 ml fluid and the second beaker gets new clean fluid. All parts get one cleaning and two rinsing cycles (or triple cycles if you will).

The cleaning machine is usually half full of water to transmit the vibration to the beakers. Beakers are in the water and contain the different solutions. Since there is only room for 2 beakers in the machine, the 3 beakers rotate according to the process.

This system may not be perfect jet ( I'm still fine tuning it) but the results are very rewarding. Needless to say that I retrofitted a couple of seikos that had rusty parts and after some rust brushing, pegging and the described process, they look factory new.

Robert

• Like 1

I use one like the above. I pour the liquid into containers for re use. when the wash becomes dirty I will use it on bracelets, jewellery etc, I use 2 rinses and when the first becomes contaminated I will pour that away use the second rinse as the first and replenish the second rinse with new,Thus keeping costs down to a minimum,

As it was explained to me when I fist started doing it, the beakers just contain the cleaning solution and the water filling the 1780 machine transmit the vibrations to the beakers containing solution. The water is the transmitting agent. 

I do the same as Maurice with the solutions as I lamely explained.

I suspect the issue is plastic. Ultrasonic doesn't work well when plastic baskets are in the way, but glass is ok. I've even used small cups (glasses) without noticing any difference. Still, I'm getting a batch of movements in really bad shape. I'll use the ultrasonic with and without beakers to compare. I'll post pictures of the difference if any. I wonder if there is any gadget out there to measure this effect...

• 3 months later...

I use small glass jars and rotate the fluid as already mentioned , I do use 3 washes only because the fluid manufacturer recommended it that way.

The wash i use is Horoloex available on Ebay ,seems to work ok and the nice thing about it is it air dries leaving no residue which helps things.

It is also safe on shellac.

I've not been using it long but i do like the air dry bit it dries really quickly to

• 1 month later...

Got one yesterday, seems like a fair size and mains operation. Unfortunately still tied up with decorating so I have only looked at it. Have not fiddled with a watch for two weeks now but made some purchases from India - Citizen, HMT and Roamer all of which are working but will need stripping and cleaning so it will get a workout hopefully before too long.

Cheers,

Vic

Hello Bob,

Have not had the backs off any of them yet so God knows what I will find but like I said they are all running. My other ultrasonics are plastic battery jobs for a fiver off the bay and have worked ok but I was tempted by the stainless steel and the extra couple of inches in size, it is a punt but we will see.

Cheers,

Vic