New Hands Needed For Clock

Davey57

Hello

My friend has given me another clock to look at. It's rather larger than the last one and weighs a ton!

His wife has broken off the minute hand adjusting the time :(

What are the chances of obtaining a matching hand, or will a pair be the only way. Don't think they have the broken piece either.

I have the dimensions of the hands.

post-923-0-85176600-1442344043_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-98177000-1442344056_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-08207000-1442344082_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-09955700-1442344102_thumb.jpg

post-923-0-37761200-1442344112_thumb.jpg

Hello

My friend has given me another clock to look at. It's rather larger than the last one and weighs a ton!

His wife has broken off the minute hand adjusting the time :(

What are the chances of obtaining a matching hand, or will a pair be the only way. Don't think they have the broken piece either.

I have the dimensions of the hands.

attachicon.gif1509_untitled_002.JPG

attachicon.gif1509_untitled_004.JPG

attachicon.gif1509_untitled_010.JPG

attachicon.gif1509_untitled_015.JPG

attachicon.gif1509_untitled_016.JPG

Try Cousins item No. H0807. You will have to purchase a pair of hands. Another source for the hands is Meadows & Passmore

The clock is a French timepiece and the hands have the design of Fleur De Lys you should be able to obtain these with no problem you have the pendulum hooked the wrong way round. If you want to know what the numbers are all about on the back plate of your clock have a look on my topic I've just bought this clock part 2.

I seem to have run into a bit of a problem with the new hands that I got from Cousins (H0807). The square in the minute hand seems to be slightly smaller than the square it is supposed to fit onto. I have measured the square post on the clock and it looks to be about 2.3mm.  Also the hour hand does not grip its mating surface, are you meant to taper it in a little using the slots that are cut into it? The hand itself could do with being a tad longer (5mm or so) too as it does not quite reach the dial. The next size up, 50mm, would be too long.

You could open the minute hand using a square needle file. With the hour hand try pinching it so it's a snug fit on the hour wheel, if this fails you might need to swap the brass pipes over. If your not happy with the length of the hand, try a different suppler. 

Thanks.

Is 2mm the standard size then or is it possible to obtain something else? I am not up to the task of swapping the tubes I'm afraid. If it turns out that these hands are the closest I am able to get I will have to have a try at opening out the hand as you suggest.

I'm not sure remember I've been retired from this for many years. Have you looked on ebay there's always loads of hands on there. Cousins seems to be the supplier mentioned on here, I'd have a look on the internet.

Just an update. I decided to keep the hands and file them out to size. Was a bit fiddly but I got there in the end and it looked ok, even the slightly shorter hand didn't look out of place.

Just one thing though. What is the correct way to adjust the time on this clock? I can't see any way to do it without turning the hands which is how they were broken in the first place. There is a small square pin at the top of the dial (you can just see it in the picture) not sure what this does.

Just an update. I decided to keep the hands and file them out to size. Was a bit fiddly but I got there in the end and it looked ok, even the slightly shorter hand didn't look out of place.

Just one thing though. What is the correct way to adjust the time on this clock? I can't see any way to do it without turning the hands which is how they were broken in the first place. There is a small square pin at the top of the dial (you can just see it in the picture) not sure what this does.

Always turn the minute hand from the center that apples to any clock that doesn't have a hand set knob. That way you can be sure you won't bend the hand or snap it off. Did you know to fine regulate the clock you turn the little arbor above the 12 with a key, if the key you have is single a pocket watch key of the correct size is just as good.