Install Balance Wheel

danizzz

Hi everybody. I'm trying to learn this fascinating art. It's my first time and this is my first project.

I'm tryng to service myself my 2836 -2, but now i find big troubles to install again the balance wheel. After i put in properly it doesn't engage the fork pallet and the escape doesnt move.

I there a method to apply to insert the jewel on the balance right in the arm of the fork pallet? Any suggestion?

Did you check to see that the roller table jewel (impulse jewel) is still in place? It's possible it was damaged as you were removing the balance when you first took it out? Was the gear train running OK before you put in the pallet?

Welcome to troubleshooting!

From a previous post I made on the subject:-

"This is the bit that gave me the most heartache when I started.

Wind the watch 1-2 turns and check that the escapement levers flicks sharply from side to side by gently pushing it with a dry oiler or tooth pick.

If all is well, fit the balance wheel. Make sure that you position the balance jewel correctly regarding the end of the lever. Looking down on the lever, if it lying to the right, ensure that the balance jewel is even further to the right when you drop the balance into position. Vice versa if the lever is lying to the left. As you turn the balance cock into the correct position the balance jewel will automatically engage the lever and watch should start running.

As a wee aside, when oiling a watch, do not oil the pivot jewels on the escapement lever."

• Like 1

Danizzz, your description of much up/down movement of the pallet fork is an ominous symptom. The pivots of the pallet should be within their respective tiny holes. Those two points (holes) define a vertical line which should be the location of the pallet arbor at all times. If your pallet is moving up and down (not simply translocation vertically, but rocking like a see-saw) then (as Geo speculated) one or both of your pallet pivots is not securely placed in its hole. If you're lucky, you've just not implanted the pallet properly, or inadequately tightened the pallet cock screw.. More likely, I'm afraid, one of the pivots is broken. Another, less likely, possibility is that your pivots are meant to be placed in jewel holes (rather than into holes in the plates) and the jewel is cracked.

With a magnifier, you should be able to see the pallet pivot in its hole. If you don't see it there, that's a problem.

I think Geo is referring to the pallet pivot not the escapement wheel pivot which may be broken, it shouldn't move a lot , maybe the bottom one is broken, so you can't see from the top, might be worth letting down the mainspring and removing the pallet fork to check

• Like 1

My comment is a bit too late now, but its best to start with some cheap pocket watch. The parts are bigger and you get used to handle them. Then its easier to get working with wrist watch movements. And if possible, a dollar watch first as its possible to break something.

Sent from Samsung A3 with Tapatalk

I try to post a photo of my pallet fork:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1442485913.799149.jpg

It seems a broken top pinion....

Bad luck. I suspect that you tried to tighten the screw down before the fork was aligned and it just broke off the pinion. We've all made mistakes. The good news is that Cousins have these at about £20.

Hope you get it sorted.

Chris

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

It could be a lot worse. Something like an Omega would be three or four times that price. Yes, it's item 710 and is used on many ETA calibres so it is a 2801 part.

You can download complete parts lists and service sheets for ETA calibres from ETA or Cousins.

When refitting the fork, use plenty of magnification to see that the pinion is engaged before tightening the screws. You can also lift the fork up and down to be sure it's always engaged. Really, I do this with any wheels, forks, etc.

Best to get the base movement running and be happy with it before moving onto any complications such as date, auto or chronograph so don't be tempted to fit the date mechanism while waiting for your new part.

Cheers, Chris

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Been there done that as they say :) . Good to now that it.s easy to find .According to Ofrei .All of this pallet fork should work . Unfortuanly not 2789 @Andyclient 

BUL 1373 30, BUL 1373.11, BUL 1373.50, BUL 1412.11, BUL 1413.10, BUL 1413.11, BUL 1413.30, ETA 2801, ETA 2801-1, ETA 2801-2, ETA 2804, ETA 2804-1, ETA 2804-2, ETA 2805, ETA 2806, ETA 2807, ETA 2810, ETA 2811, ETA 2812, ETA 2813, ETA 2816, ETA 2816-1, ETA 2817, ETA 2819, ETA 2821, ETA 2821-1, ETA 2821-2, ETA 2821R, ETA 2824, ETA 2824-1, ETA 2824-2, ETA 2824R, ETA 2825, ETA 2825R, ETA 2826, ETA 2827, ETA 2827R, ETA 2830, ETA 2830R, ETA 2831, ETA 2831R, ETA 2832, ETA 2832R, ETA 2834, ETA 2834-1 CD1, ETA 2834-2, ETA 2834R, ETA 2836, ETA 2836-2, ETA 2836R, ETA 2837, ETA 2837R, ETA 2838, ETA 2838R, ETA 2839, ETA 2839R, LON 631.1, LON 632.1, LON 632.2, LON 633.1, LON 633.2, LON 634.1, LON 634.2, LON 636.1, LON 636.2, MOV 341, TIS 3103, TIS 3104, TIS 3108, ETA 2836-1, SEL SW200, SEL SW220

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the new pallet fork.

Now i have another problem.

If i Wind up very little power is trasmitted to the escape wheel.

I tried to run the gear train and every gear is engaged but if i try to wind up without the pallet fork the escape remain in his position but i think it has to spin freely....[emoji79]

Help please!

I installed the new pallet fork.

Now i have another problem.

If i Wind up very little power is trasmitted to the escape wheel.

I tried to run the gear train and every gear is engaged but if i try to wind up without the pallet fork the escape remain in his position but i think it has to spin freely....[emoji79]

Help please!

The top gear of the escape wheel is not seated in the top bridge jewel and is not engaging with the second wheel ???

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk