Benrus Watch Movement

GaT34

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to repairing watches (so please don't bite!).

I have repaired a couple of cheap watches before and both have worked out fine so decided to try my hand on Benrus I have had for a couple of year and am quite fond of.

All was going well and then I had a pet related incident whilst opening up the mainspring barrel. By the time I had found the barrel (cap, arbour and mainspring conveniently ended up in my lap) it had been damaged and some of the teeth destroyed.

I have tried to identify the movement in order to figure out what part to try and find (picture attached, apologies for the poor quality) but really struggling as it doesn't look like any other Benrus movement I have seen anywhere online.

The watch has 1974 on the back (looks like a "length of service" gift awarded to someone by the inscription).

I bought it from ebay and the seller doesn't know anything more about it. If more picture of any more of the parts would be useful please let me know.

I'm just hoping that someone will be able to help.

Thank you in advance.

G

post-1430-0-16814900-1441907670_thumb.jp

Thanks Geo.

rogart63 I see what you are thinking, looking at the Seiko 5740c there are some similarities there. Are we guessing this is a fake Benrus then?

Regardless i'll still like to repair the thing. Interesting though.

I don't now if its a fake . I just recognize the diashock and the balance bridge . They are similar looking but the 5740C is not the right movement .looking more like the Seiko 66A

http://www.urdelar.se/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=976

Defenetly a seiko movement but which?

What is the size of it ?

Edited by rogart63

I posted some pics of an original Seiko 66 and a UTC on a Seiko specific FB group. Only difference is that Seiko stuck with their full plate style where the UT movt had a more traditional separate barrel bridge / train bridge set-up and additional jewels.

Anil

post-211-0-99747000-1441931155_thumb.jpg

post-211-0-79425100-1441931163_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Benrus was an assembler.  Not a manufacturer. Movements  were sold and rebadged under  several  names. Among them UT and master time. They  can be found in several  second tier watches  such as benrus, eltra, Clinton  and westclox.