Anyone Worked On A Seiko 7T34 Quartz Movement?

ro63rto

Couldn't resist this for mere lunch money.

tapatalk_144140398204_edit_1441442036662

Was sold as a non runner but was hopeful it just needed a reset but as soon as I opened it I saw this.

2015-09-07%2015.13.26.png

See the brown/burn mark on the plate?

On top if that there's the simple issue of 2 sticking buttons.

Is it worth delving into the movement to start testing and replacing coils/circuits or is there a cheapish source of NOS movements?

Edited by ro63rto

Looks like it will be very similar to the 7t32 I worked on a couple of years ago. The gears look like plastic sequins and are a pain in the a##se to work with. It is worth having a go just for the experience if nothing else. I did get the one I had working, but would not want to do one again. The hands are also very fiddly to fit, and there are plenty of them.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks Geo. Yes, that's a daunting amount of hands to refit [emoji20]

Hopefully just a quick contact clean on the circuit or a duff coil.

The good thing about refitting the hands is that you don't need to be that accurate as you can just zero them after with the buttons which makes life a lot easier
  • Like 1

Did someone call me? :D I have a similar Seiko 7T34-6A90 which I repaired and now works flawlessly. Problems with these movements (as the whole 7Txx series) is that they are very hard to put back together, being 90% of the parts in plastic and very easily broken.. 

Check a post I made about the 7T32 movement (structurally similar to the 7T34) on another forum, with links to my videos where I tear it down:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13166499-deep-inside-a-7t32-or-shiojiri-y182b-movement

Hope you manage to find an donor 7T34 movement, since I believe your PCB is long dead... and probably the coils too. The coils are the same as the one on 7T32 movements, so you can find them easily.

• Like 1

Did someone call me? :D I have a similar Seiko 7T34-6A90 which I repaired and now works flawlessly. Problems with these movements (as the whole 7Txx series) is that they are very hard to put back together, being 90% of the parts in plastic and very easily broken..

Check a post I made about the 7T32 movement (structurally similar to the 7T34) on another forum, with links to my videos where I tear it down:

http://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/13166499-deep-inside-a-7t32-or-shiojiri-y182b-movement

Hope you manage to find an donor 7T34 movement, since I believe your PCB is long dead... and probably the coils too. The coils are the same as the one on 7T32 movements, so you can find them easily.

Morning and thanks for the link.

Yeah, been reading as much as I can find about these movements.

Saw a pic of one half apart and was surprised at the amount of plastic used.

Were they in cahoots with Swatch in those times???

Thanks for the link George. I'm on my way to check it out! I've always wondering about those movements, not being a fan of extra buttons on the watch but very much interested on these Seikos particular beauty. Somehow they have found a way not to make the extra buttons deter from the watch looks...for people with my taste, of course.

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

If your circuit is burnt then getting a replacement will be a challenge.  Seiko designated the same  circuits with a letter after the number A and B. The difference was the position of the holes on the circuit matching up with the plastic posts on the movement.  This watch is a challenge to work on but not overly so. It's amazing how all the gears fall into place when the cover is put back on. Look for bent staffs on the rotors.  Down the rabbit hole.

• Like 1

BTW I also found another foult in this movement: the spring that acts on the clutch (in the image at the center, bottom) so that one can adjust the time or the date should force against a plastic post on the base plate, which is broken. This causes that the quick date setting is not possible, but it is still possible to set the hour correctly. The plastic post should be at the end of the "U" formed by the metal spring.

I do not have another base plate for the 7T34 movement among my spares, which apparently almost 50% suffered this fate. I do not have the means to rebuild this plate (I would have to glue or solder a similarly shaped post on the plastic base plate) so I guess this this movement will be used only just for spares, and not to rebuild a complete watch, as I hoped.

• 9 months later...

Picking up from a while ago, I had put this one away until such time that I could have a permanent work area.

This still hasn't happened BUT I did keep my eye out for cheap spares etc.

Got another 6a00 in well used condition hoping for something usable.

Soon as I opened it......

20160630_112133.jpg

Can you see it [emoji35]

Oh well, hopefully other parts are usable. Might just have to get down on my knees and beg Mr G Clarkson to make one good one from these two if possible as my eyes seem to be getting worse [emoji20]

Have a lot of parts. I am not hundred % with you on the plastic parts . But can have a check how my plates look. Have many coils and gears from an old watchmakers estate lying around so that i can fix? 

Have a lot stuff. But i am not sure exactly which part u are looking for. On my parts it's says Y157A  or Y152A but they work in my 7T34 . 

Or is it the part that is on top? 

Base plate i have a few of those? 

But i don't think i want to tinker with it? 

Send me a picture and i can at least see if any of my plates is good. Say Y157A at the box . 

DSC06640.JPGDSC06639.JPG

Edited by rogart63