Moving Crown On Winder Stem

The winder on my automatic watch will not wind properly. It feels jammed. However, when I remove the back and release the mechanism so that the winder can be fully pushed in, it winds OK. Evidently the crown is jamming against the case, preventing the winder from being pushed fully home. The obvious solution is to unscrew the crown on the stem a tad but it doesn't want to move and I don't want to break the stem. Can anyone tell me if there is a neater solution than filing the seat of the crown away? 

Don't start filing the crown ;)

Is this a screw down watch back or a snap on back?

Is there a movement spacer ring in the watch (between the movement and the case). If there is - is it lined up correctly?

Feel free to post pictures with the back off so I can take a look for you.

Thanks for replying so quickly! Regarding your questions: the watch has a screw down back. There  is a plastic spacer which seems to be lined up OK but since it could obviously be the problem maybe I can shave it slightly to allow the movement to sit nearer the winder side of the case? I'll try to send a photo. Ah now, what's the easiest way of doing that?

Thanks for replying so quickly! Regarding your questions: the watch has a screw down back. There  is a plastic spacer which seems to be lined up OK but since it could obviously be the problem maybe I can shave it slightly to allow the movement to sit nearer the winder side of the case? I'll try to send a photo. Ah now, what's the easiest way of doing that?

Screw backs can sometimes move the movement ring when you tighten it and this can result in the ring jamming the stem. Try moving the ring anti-clockwise so the gap for the stem jams up agains the stem - then tighten the back, perhaps it will move the ring to the correct position.

I'm sorry. Must be getting old. I can't see any 'Attach image' button or similar below the Post button or anywhere else!

I have fixed this. It was a permissions problem with the forum software. Feel free to post your picture.

Does the watch back have a rubber gasket around the rim? If not then the back could be screwing down too far. Same if the gasket is too thin.

Also - as it is the movement ring (plastic part) looks a little out of place - the gap over the winding stem should be even either side of the stem.

Many thanks for all your help! There's no gasket, but when I unscrew the back a tad it doesn't help. I've adjusted the movement ring, but no change. Still winds perfectly when the movement is out of the case! Very odd. Even thought maybe packing the movement with wafer of plastic on the far side to push it nearer the winder but that would need a bit shaved off the ring on the winder side - getting into deep water there!! Basically I feel I need a longer winder stem. That's why originally I wondered if the crown could be unscrewed from the stem, and Loctited a mm or so further out. However the crown seems immovable and I don't want to force it.

OK - I have re-read your first post and coupled with your last post I am now understanding you better. Yes I feel you are on the correct path - the stem is most likely too short.

There are two options. The first (and will give you the best results) will be to remove the crown (try heating it up slightly if it is very tight - not too much as you do not want to discolour it). Then use a stem extension - I will guess you will need a tap 9/ tap 9. Shorten the stem extension so it has just enough thread to tighten the crown onto and no more. Then effectively you have a longer pipe crown to deal with. Now you can adjust the stem accordingly. Use a little loctite on all the threads.

The second option is what you have mentioned, but I would recommend you pack the button with small shavings of solder so that you can still tighten the crown on the stem and loctite is still recommended.

If you are stuck - I will try to make a video showing how to do this. Let me know.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Yes it's a Chinese movement in a cheap Breitling copy so I can't complain! I decided to file the crown so that the stem goes fully home. It seems to have done the trick. I slid a short length of 1.5mm mains cable insulation over the stem whilst filing so that the small file didn't damage the stem. (Used the 'plain' edge of the file against the stem)

Thanks for all your advice. Great site!