Table-Top Workbench

hokavan

I see some very high shipping costs if it has to travel from Vietnam... Would you just share the plans instead? If you make a digital construction plan it would be easier to sell to more people and no shipping involved... Just my two cents. I for one, living in Germany, would expect the German customs to charge me a hefty tax bill for importing a completely assembled bench weighing 10kg...

• 2 weeks later...

Thats right. Its not cost effective to ship such a heavy item internationally. I've asked my friend about the drawing but he doesn't make it. All the thing he need is the general dimension of the bench (HxDxW), he estimated the rest using photos from website.

Sorry for late reply

• Like 1

Or, in my case, instead of raising the table top I lowered the chair. I sit on a footstool with a pillow on top, which puts the work right at shoulder height. Not the most comfortable position in the world, sitting with legs stretched out in front of me, but I just pretend I'm in a formula 1 car.

David S - who's occasionally furious but not very fast.

• Like 1

I wonder if the desk in the original post can be sold as a kit, (and even without some non essential parts like drawer knobs, screws, etc) It could be disassembled but ready to assemble with instructions about screws and knobs to use. That way I believe the customs charge may not be that high (?) and lighter weight. Just an idea...It is very well made...Ofrei version is mostly cardboard so to speak.

Cheers,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Probably if correctly marketed, it could be that you'd get enough people interested in it. As far as this forum, you can already see that it could be a small success. How many people would be so interested to actually buy it, that is hard to say. But before tossing the idea in the trash can, I would honestly do some research in some watch forums posting the pics you posted here and simply asking people's opinion. As per the shipping costs, that can be sorted out. Actually the buyer pays for the shipping, so you should really not worry too much about that: let the buyer decide if it is too much or not...

My opinion is: having the possibility to buy it, I would. I have been. Searching for something similar for some time, and like me, many hobby watchmakers and collectors are.

Edited by GeorgeClarkson
  • Like 1