Gold Leaf

Nige

Finally got round to putting gold leaf on my long case clock dial which I restored a while ago,the pictures had been over painted by Mrs Mop and looked terrible,I managed to remove it and there was enough of the original left for me to redo it,all the numerals and minute rings etc were gone but usering UV light was able to see them all very clear as old inks were charcoal based and they Flores, the case is good and now just waiting on the movement which my brother is going to do,but as you can guess family comes after paying customers.The clock is about 1785/90 and is a nice example of a Cornish long case.

post-849-0-14608500-1440710412_thumb.jpg

post-849-0-58812600-1440710433_thumb.jpg

post-849-0-45124600-1440710454_thumb.jpg

post-849-0-08109000-1440710473_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks oldhippy,the movement is at my brother's workshop at the moment awaiting repair,it did run when i bought the clock but it had been very badly bushed in the past and to repair this he is going to remove the brass around the bushes and insert 19th century brass and then rebush it.I've not been able to find out who the dial maker is although it does have Wilson look but gesso style is not the same,possibly Osborne,but I would think it was one of the Birmingham dial makers.

Thanks oldhippy,the movement is at my brother's workshop at the moment awaiting repair,it did run when i bought the clock but it had been very badly bushed in the past and to repair this he is going to remove the brass around the bushes and insert 19th century brass and then rebush it.I've not been able to find out who the dial maker is although it does have Wilson look but gesso style is not the same,possibly Osborne,but I would think it was one of the Birmingham dial makers.

That is the correct way of re-bushing antique clocks matching the brass to its colour, also the brass is so much harder. However many years ago there might not have been a clock maker/repairer about and people went to the local blacksmith and he would do the repairs, that's why on many old clocks you see punch marks in order to close the holes. Clock makers would buy in dials and you are right to expect it to come from around Birmingham, the same with the false plates, that is the plate between the dial and the movement. That sometimes has a name on it, but it is not the dials maker. One other thing with the gold leaf, I expect the arch for the calendar would also have gold leaf. 

I thought the same about the date arch but now I'm not so sure,it is done in a dark blue paint or ink but to a very fine standard and I have seen a couple of other cornish clocks the same, I think if someone just repainted it it wouldn't be done so well,

I have taken the date wheel off before and there is no sign of gold,only the white paint over spill,see other pic at bottom. I have included some pictures,also of the case,post-849-0-44292700-1440931675_thumb.jpgAs you can see no sign of gold.post-849-0-65917500-1440931784_thumb.jpg the case is in lovely condition and still has its original ebony finish,which is really nice as so many have been stripped.i am also doing an interesting dial for my brother,he only has the dial and got it with some clock parts,post-849-0-03837900-1440932146_thumb.jpg the moon dial is small at only 4.5 inches and the aperture at the top is large for dial of 10.5inches which sadly is missing,so we have no idea what it was.the moon dial was very black and hard to see but after cleaning was found to be very beautifully done, I had to repaint some of the ship,the house and both moons where they were chipped off to the brass,post-849-0-73156600-1440932900_thumb.jpgHere's the back of the dial where you can see the size of the top dial.post-849-0-15163700-1440933013_thumb.jpg I've not done much on the main clock dial yet only pencilled in the numerals and name.post-849-0-38289100-1440931640_thumb.jpg close up with date removed.