Aligning The Date In The Dial Window

Hi everyone,

I would like to adjust and align the date wheel with the dial window. The movement is a 2824.

Is it possible / acceptable to adjust the dial over the movement by nudging (and I guess bending the dial feet slightly) is this feasible? Is there a recommended method to this??

Do not try to bend the dial feet, they will more than likely snap off. Even if they don't, the dial will not seat properly.

How far out is the window relative to the numbers? Can you take a picture to show the problem? When was the watch last serviced?

As far as I know there is no adjustment to sort this. Possibly the jumper spring has been bent in the past and is needing a wee tweak.

It is usually possible to effect some very slight adjustment by carefully re-profiling the nose of the date jumper..... BUT, only if there is enough material to do it, and only with potentially a lot of trial and error, tweaking and refitting until it's right. Probably more bother than it's worth. If it has gone out of alignment then it's likely to be as a result of wear either to the date ring or the jumper (usually the softer alloy of the ring rather than the steel of the jumper) and by far the quickest and easiest solution is to replace the ring.

I have recently seen somewhere online (but can't remember where [it may have even been this forum somewhere]) a movement where the date jumper did have an eccentric on its nose specifically for adjusting the date position in the dial window. If I can find it again I will post a link.

I have had look at the ETA drawing and can not see anything obvious that could be put back incorrectly. However if it was OK before the service then something has not been assembled incorrectly. I have attached a pic with an arrow to show the area to look at as this might not be seated correctly.

post-234-0-49622400-1440228414_thumb.png

Thanks for the interest guys, to be honest, if it's not such a simple fix I don't think it's a good idea to try adjusting it myself. I too am baffled as to why there is a change after the service and it makes me doubt the competency of the watchmaker.

The 2824 has an integrated date jumper/spring. It could be that this was bent during reassembly?

You need to uncase the movement, remove the hands/dial and wind the watch thru the date-change, watching the interaction of the date wheel, calender driving wheel and the jumper spring.

One more thing you can try before you do that, try to bring the date into alignment using pegwood thru the date window..gentle pressure as the date-wheel is quite fragile. If this gets the date wheel in alignment, then check the daywheel track opposite the jumper... if it is worn you need to dress it and maybe get a new date wheel.

2824 parts are quite common... do you have a spare movement? Off the top of my head.. 2834/2836 will work... I believe many others as well... you could swap out the date wheel and maybe the jumper and see if that fixes things but as others have mentioned, its probably the jumper spring thats the problem if it was fine before.

Finally, eyeball the dial feet when you remove it.. if it was not removed 'squarely' off the dial, the feet may get bent.. dont think this would affect the alignment much though.

Anil

• Like 2