Jump to content

Citizen Auto Date Uni 19 Jewels Para Water date spring


Recommended Posts

Hello All,

Since my last post about an Omega and a Seiko, I have fallen deeper and deeper into the buying vintage watches and cleaning the putting-back-together hole.

So I picked up this guy from one of the auction sites for about $10

20230823_123654.jpg.f3300952f60e7d0daa4057faf6cf27af.jpg

 

20230823_124352.jpg.52cf646745dffad815a5bdb4c1106d5b.jpg

I stripped everything down, cleaned everything, and tried to put it all back together. Seems everything went well I am however stuck at the calendar wheel and spring.

20230823_125139.jpg.c9e2aa0f14e412e50f4ceef34550cbe1.jpg

Seems the last guy that came in here lost the spring and made one of those guitar string type spring. I know that it works as I tested it before I took things apart. Only thing is it does not sit flush and its a juggling affair to get the spring to sit pushing on the calendar lever sitting just so the date wheel without flying into space. Then only I can put this plate on.

20230823_124947.jpg.594f10caf530d01e6fcaebbbc13a415e.jpg

As far as I can tell, the plate is what is holding this precarious spring lever date wheel sandwich all in its place.

I can take it apart, I am amazed at the previous guy to get it all in just so. 

Can I get any advice on how I can get this done? 

The options I looked at are

 

01. Place the spring and lever, have the lever away from the spring, put the plate on, and try to slide the date wheel in.

*** Nope does not work that way

02. Try to have the date wheel a little away, place the lever away from the spring and try to adjust after one of the screws are placed.

*** Nope The spring does not like to stay in place

03. Have not tried this but I am thinking of super gluing or somehow fixing the spring down. Screw the plate on and then shove the lever into place *** What do you think?

04. Track down the actual spring and get either a donor movement or part.

*** seems like an expensive way to repair something that was about $10

05. Black out all the dates and call it a design and also call it a day

*** translation Giving up.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to learn how the last guy actually did it. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you know the calibre of the movement. You can do a search on YouTube to check for any assembly videos of the same calibre or calibre from the same family.

Your date detent spring looks distorted. You can try making your own by bending guitar wire. It's not difficult but you'll need a pair of good round nosed pliers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

Do you know the calibre of the movement. You can do a search on YouTube to check for any assembly videos of the same calibre or calibre from the same family.

Your date detent spring looks distorted. You can try making your own by bending guitar wire. It's not difficult but you'll need a pair of good round nosed pliers.

The spring is definitely distorted. I think the last guy in this movement replaced it with a guitar wire. I recognize it as I have done it multiple times. I only have no idea how to secure this in the right position before putting on the plate.

 

Good idea about looking up the movement. The movement seems to be called the 2400. 

So even with a correct date jumper spring, I have no idea this could stay in place before the plate goes on.Screenshot2023-09-09at2_58_35PM.thumb.png.bc130f273ec3b8d44c5c342949476635.png

Edited by suomaf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Citizens and springs 😟

I have a Citizen 5204 (day+date) which has a similar date jumper spring.  But another spring sits against it, see pic. 

In total there are 6 springs on the dial side! I've never seen a movement with so many springs. It put me off Citizens.

image.png.e28189e6c1cda69f42adf2609d359c90.png

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, suomaf said:

Hello All,

Since my last post about an Omega and a Seiko, I have fallen deeper and deeper into the buying vintage watches and cleaning the putting-back-together hole.

So I picked up this guy from one of the auction sites for about $10

20230823_123654.jpg.f3300952f60e7d0daa4057faf6cf27af.jpg

 

20230823_124352.jpg.52cf646745dffad815a5bdb4c1106d5b.jpg

I stripped everything down, cleaned everything, and tried to put it all back together. Seems everything went well I am however stuck at the calendar wheel and spring.

20230823_125139.jpg.c9e2aa0f14e412e50f4ceef34550cbe1.jpg

Seems the last guy that came in here lost the spring and made one of those guitar string type spring. I know that it works as I tested it before I took things apart. Only thing is it does not sit flush and its a juggling affair to get the spring to sit pushing on the calendar lever sitting just so the date wheel without flying into space. Then only I can put this plate on.

20230823_124947.jpg.594f10caf530d01e6fcaebbbc13a415e.jpg

As far as I can tell, the plate is what is holding this precarious spring lever date wheel sandwich all in its place.

I can take it apart, I am amazed at the previous guy to get it all in just so. 

Can I get any advice on how I can get this done? 

The options I looked at are

 

01. Place the spring and lever, have the lever away from the spring, put the plate on, and try to slide the date wheel in.

*** Nope does not work that way

02. Try to have the date wheel a little away, place the lever away from the spring and try to adjust after one of the screws are placed.

*** Nope The spring does not like to stay in place

03. Have not tried this but I am thinking of super gluing or somehow fixing the spring down. Screw the plate on and then shove the lever into place *** What do you think?

04. Track down the actual spring and get either a donor movement or part.

*** seems like an expensive way to repair something that was about $10

05. Black out all the dates and call it a design and also call it a day

*** translation Giving up.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to learn how the last guy actually did it. 

 

 

 

 

 

You have options ? Lovely to see you back Suomaf matey.  hows the family ? that missus of yours still giving you a hard time ? 🙂

45 minutes ago, suomaf said:

yes I think you are right. I found this 

I think I do not have enough hands the dexterity to do it. I cannot imagine the spring behaving itself and not flying into space.

If you are worried about losing the spring, a popular trick to try is to place the watch a clear plastic bag and work from inside that.  Its fiddly until you develop a technique but greatly reduces the chances of  spring loss.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

You have options ? Lovely to see you back Suomaf matey.  hows the family ? that missus of yours still giving you a hard time ? 🙂

If you are worried about losing the spring, a popular trick to try is to place the watch a clear plastic bag and work from inside that.  Its fiddly until you develop a technique but greatly reduces the chances of  spring loss.

Hey Buddy,

 

Been having fun with Buyee, with regards to the lovely wife, I know now buy a watch, buy her a bag, buy another watch, buy a wallet for her, buy an old grandfather clock, buy her some shiny rocks. All good.

 

Yeah I think I am going to try the plastic bag thing again to see if I can get it in.

 

5 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Citizens and springs 😟

I have a Citizen 5204 (day+date) which has a similar date jumper spring.  But another spring sits against it, see pic. 

In total there are 6 springs on the dial side! I've never seen a movement with so many springs. It put me off Citizens.

image.png.e28189e6c1cda69f42adf2609d359c90.png

 

Pity, Citizens are pretty but they seem to love their springs. On the plus side, I like their parashocks, easier to work with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, suomaf said:

yes I think you are right. I found this 

I think I do not have enough hands the dexterity to do it. I cannot imagine the spring behaving itself and not flying into space.

This is a very common configuration for a date jumper spring. And it is one of the better ones. The worst I've worked on has to be the Russian Slava 2414. The date jumper and spring have to be mounted on the underside of the calendar cover plate, then turned over and put into position and screwed down. The slightest knock would launch the date jumper across the room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Sunday is try to play with springs day. Suffice to say I ended on my knees for a few hours try to find said spring and its neighbouring parts. Magic wipe did help me to find it. I will try it again next weekend. How did everyone elses weekend go? Better I hope.

 

I have however popped everything back in excluding the spring and put it on my wrist because instant gratification. I will work on the spring again next week.

 

citizenautodateruni-4268.thumb.jpg.33447011b08737ce14e558a03c8dcb5d.jpg

 

Edited by suomaf
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...