Slava 2428 Problems.

Hi Everyone,

I've been busy tinkering with a Slava 2428 movement in a Sekonda day date watch and I have encountered a couple of problems.

Firstly it seems impossible to remove ( I assume the original) sweep second hand on this model without breaking the centre wheel pinion. I anticipated the problem and took extreme care with the normal levers, but still I broke the pinion.

Secondly when replacing the minute hand it again seems impossible to get it on tightly, the slightest movement causes it to come loose.

Has any body else experienced these difficulties?

Also the twin mainsprings have a Tee or a cross at the end (DB). I'm having great difficulty winding these back into the barrel because the 'tag' on the cross piece at the end of the spring has to correspond to a slot in the barrel. I think there must be a special technique for doing this, which I will have yet to learn. Please could someone help. 

Thank you,

Regards Richard.

About the mainspring, try starting the wind by putting that 'cross' earlier then the hole in the barrel. As you wind the ms if the cross doesn't get to the hole by itself, try turning the entire ms a couple of mm. All of these if you put the ms back by hand and you don't have a ms winder. In that case it's much simpler, you just align that cross with the hole in the barrel.

About the seconds hand, it might have been some sort of rust problem.

After watching that video, I liked that movement so much I found one on ebay and ordered it to tinker with. Got it for a song but it's in Bulgaria so it won't be here for a good while. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their contribution. I'm most grateful to rogart63 for the video which he posted. Great pictures and some really useful information. The tiny jewel in the central second post really impressed me. This may be normal but as a beginner I was amazed to find the tiny 'speck', not only that but with a hole through the middle.

I enjoyed working on this watch and have managed to re-wind the mainspring using a m/s winder.

Thanks again everyone,

Regards Richard.