What To Buy As An Automatic Watch,

Hi everyone,

My younger brother is looking to buy a watch around five to seven hundred dollars. He was asking me what watch he should go for?

I wanna ask specially Mark from watch repairs channel and others on this forum as well that what watch should he go for?

He likes Tag heuer or Rado but I had a great experience from Steinhart as well which is cheaper than both of them too.

What do you guys prefer as a mechanic or watch lovers what he should invest for?

Thanks for everyone in advance.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Always a difficult question to answer, as everyone has different tastes regarding size, dial, casing, hands, movement, style, etc.!

He should go for what takes his eye - and, IMHO, worry less about a watch as an investment.

My 2-c worth...

Will

• Like 2

I agree with Will - at that end of the market a new watch is not going to be an investment in anything other than your own happiness...

A used Omega or such like might hold its value rather than depreciate, but this wont be guaranteed.

There are those who tell their other halves that their recent watch acquisition is an investment, but that is quite another story!

S

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with these posts too and I've probably been asked it a few hundred times in the retail environment over 10 yrs. one question I always ask is how is it going to be worn? In other words what do u need in the watch, size, legibility, water resistance, light weight? And make sure one of those needs isn't accuracy because then u should just buy a Quartz watch. All that being said I really like tissot and Hamilton powermatic 80s right now [emoji3]!

Through watchmaking I restore connections in people's lives!