L-G Master Case Opener

chadders1966

Hi,

Thought you might be interested to see the attached photos of my £60 L-G Master Case Opener after its first use. Watch was clamped in the related Openall, no excessive force/torque was applied, one hand only used on the wrench, no great exertion. Either I'm a lot stronger than I realised (I didn't know I could snap steel one-handed) or it was actually a poorly made tool. I know the tool is highly regarded, and perhaps this is a one off bad one, but I am not impressed, not impressed at all. Looks like I'll have to be spending the big bucks on a proper tool.

Stephen

post-373-0-38654700-1439024872_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-61294900-1439024884_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-88193900-1439024894_thumb.jpg

I'd send a copy of these photos to the company and see what they say. They are not cheap tools, and should be tested to forces greater than you could apply with one hand without breaking.

Looking at the slightly fuzzy picture of the break in the last photo, the grain structure looks a bit odd. It looks like it has been case hardened. Is there any evidence of a pre-fracture stress crack in the grain structure? This is usually evident by an area that is slightly darker in colour.

• Like 1

Hi,

First thing I did was get in touch with Cousins with the photos - they're waiting for the manufacturer to get back to them. It was very peculiar, I had hold of the handle and was pushing against it with one hand and had my other hand on the Openall (which is secured to the bench). I wasn't even pushing particularly hard, I was trying out how firmly closed the watch was, when it just went loose in my hand. There was no audible snap or break.

I'm no metallurgist and know nothing of tool construction sorry, I just assumed such well regarded tools would be better made. Looking at the break area on the handle under magnification there is a thin lighter coloured outer layer and a darker core. Can't see much evidence of a grain structure. One part has a clean break on the outer layer with a less clean but still quite smooth break on the core, the other side is slightly jagged. Hard to explain sorry!

Stephen

Unless they particularly exclude your statutory rights, which their terms appear to say they don't, they are pretty much the same as under SOGA anyway when it comes to faulty/not fit for purpose goods - as far as I know, I'm certainly no expert :). I'll just wait and see what happens.

Stephen

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure right now that I feel like getting another hand operated one - this one was supposed to be one of the best ;)! As Geo said could well be a rogue, but it's enough to put me off. I'm going to try looking for a good second hand bench mounted version I think.

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update this post. I had to send the wrench back to Cousins, who then sent it back to the manufacturer in the USA. They just received the report back from them which basically says too much pressure used by me and incorrect useage. Interestingly Cousins promptly refunded me and asked the manufacturer to explain how a steel tool intended for exerting pressure fractured under the force of a human hand.

All credit to Cousins for not taking the easy option to reject and choosing to back the customer instead. I'm still looking for a decent quality bench top opener though .

• Like 1

Maybe they had termites in the warehouse where the tool was stored! :pulling-hair-out:

OK! On a serious note, that tool looks defective (in material and maybe workmanship) so it should be replaced by the manufacturer. In any case, I'd like to know how the whole matter is resolved...You see, I own one of those and I admit I had to replace the bits...they were not strong enough. Maybe the quality is not there anymore?

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

What I posted above was how it was resolved (at least as far as I'm concerned anyway) as Cousins refunded me in full. I don't know if they will be taking it further with the manufacturer but I won't be buying from them again. Initially I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and that it was just one of those things, but the fact that they took over a month to respond and then just tried to blame me without any explanation is too much for me. I'm just pleased that Cousins agreed with me that there was a problem with the item.

Stephen