Nice looking Sessions I serviced

Gotta the clock enthusiasts their due, no?

Here is a clock of a friend.  She was a cheerleader in my HS.  She was cute then and holding up well!

Back to clocks.

Here are a few pictures of the tear down and running on the stand.  It had several broken "return" springs (brass spring wire).  I had to steal some off one of the clock movements that a fell in San Antonio gave me several years ago.  I have since ordered an assortment of brass spring wire.

Pretty sure this clock had gotten the old "WD-40" treatment because it was oily and nasty.

This was fiddly to assemble.  Most clocks are, but this one seemed more so.  Had it all together and had left off the verge!!  Argh.  It is all together and after a day on the stand, I put it back in the case this morning.

I date this circa 1920.

2023-05-30 08_42_47-20230529_075429.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2023-05-30 08_42_29-20230529_130826.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2023-05-30 08_48_36-20230529_081530.jpg ‎- Photos.png

1 minute ago, transporter said:

As a verge and anchor are different escapements, I thought it best to use the correct name

I appreciate the fact that "verge" describes a particular escapement in ancient clocks.  However, language has a way.  It is not uncommon (in fact very common) over here to refer to the component engaging the escape wheel as a "verge."  If you purchase clock material from Timesavers you will find that they do not sell "anchors."  The do sell "verges."

I serviced my first 50 clocks over 50 years ago under the tutelage of my watchmaker father.  It was he who taught me the language of clocks.  This was the term I learned.

In the future, I will try not to add confusion to my posts on this topic (though, I kinda doubt you were confused).

image.png.a49476d76fd9751b2e2c74641fb2ca7c.png

I have yet to have the guts to do a clock maintenance.  I'm sure I could do it (wouldn't need my microscope thankfully), but the mainspring scares me and I don't have a letdown or winder for one.  I do have two older clocks that were my great grandparents that I would love to repair.  One runs, but the spring for the chime is broken.  The other is quite old and doesn't run.  I'm not sure what is wrong with it yet (and have not really studied it).  Someday!

5 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

In the future, I will try not to add confusion to my posts on this topic (though, I kinda doubt you were confused).

Call it a "do-hicky".  🙂

3 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

mainspring scares me

Indeed.  I have an "Ollie Baker" style winder.  It is nearly foolproof.  As I was letting down and then winding the springs on this clock yesterday, I was wondering how I did it as  kid.  I do recall, at least once, winding by hand, but it seems crazy to me today.

As far as just working on clocks in general, I find them to be straightforward though fiddly.  Many (or most) clocks are configured between two plates.  That makes aligning the strike train and the time train a bit of a challenge.  In the strike train, you must make sure the warning wheel pin is in the right position w/r to the drop cam (oh shit, I am probably in trouble again).  With a chime and strike, this is 4x the effort.  The good news relative to watches, it is much harder to break things (like hairsprings, pivots, etc.).

As with watches...I take LOTS of pictures.

The one that does not work, I'm not even sure how old it is.  It says "The Sessions Clock Company" on it, and I really want to get it running as it has one of those really cool coil gongs on it that just sounds old when it chimes.

I know one thing, I would need to find an inexpensive mainspring winder as I don't see myself (famous last words) repairing a lot of clocks... I only have... oh heck, I have over a dozen old clocks in the house... still... I don't think the Mrs would want me spending over $100 on a winder.  I keep reminding her that watch repair and it's tools is far cheaper than hanging out at the bar.

Edit: Sorry, added the movement from my old clock...

44665993-649A-4841-AF39-994F1C57665C_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by kd8tzc

3 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

I know one thing, I would need to find an inexpensive mainspring winder as I don't see myself (famous last words) repairing a lot of clocks... I only have... oh heck, I have over a dozen old clocks in the house... still... I don't think the Mrs would want me spending over $100 on a winder. 

Ollie Bakers run close to $300.  I started with this one from Timesavers.  It is workable.  Always wear eye protection and leather gloves!

image.png.3074d2443126f547d1c0ca0c98c48244.png

This clock of yours is easy to get running as long as there are no worn bushings and no broken teeth.

10 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

I wouldn't even know what to do with that winder?  Doesn't that go to the Ollie Baker one to accept the mainspring once wound?

Well, if you want it fixed but do not care for the experience, send me the movement. I will fix it and send it back at no charge (except shipping).