I have a cheap gold-plated pocket watch (which was a gift from family). I just about broke the knife edge on my threaded bezel/case back opener getting it apart for service. Now I want to put the back on again, and I can't get it to snap together, even with a lever-based watch press. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Depending on the construction of the case it is important that the nylon die of your press is chamfered and touches the case back near the outer edge. By putting pressure on the middle of the back you increase the outer diameter by flatening it and makeing it impossible to snap in.

Could you provide a photo?

Edited by Kalanag

10 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Could you provide a photo?

yes definitely pictures would help because there's so many different types of cases that we can't give you advice. Because if we give you advice still probably be for the wrong case in your risk damaging or destroying this one.

• Like 1

I've unfortunately sain something like this before. Notice the wording unfortunately this was really not to be a watch to be serviced. That's why when you went to remove the case back it really didn't want to come off because it wasn't supposed to ever come off again. I'm not seeing the outside of the case back but if you're trying to push in the wrong place it will never go on. I'm going to assume you're pushing in the middle of the case back? You might try pushing only on the outer edges. Often times if you push in the middle of the case back that supposed you pushed on the edges the case back will bend the edges will actually go out and it will never work at all.

• Like 1

I tend to agree with your assessment (this fine French watch with the almost-no-jewel movement was not intended to be opened or serviced.) 😛

I'm using a watch press tool and the die is sized just smaller than the case, definitely pushing only the edges. Don't have a machine shop so I can't turn down the inner lip or anything.

Edited by mhuss
typo