My first from start to finish

Well, I've done it. 

Purchased a very dead Seiko 6309. Obtained two, also dead, donors.  All looked horrendous on purchase. dirty, screws missing, only one very dirty case.

Disassembles all. Checked every item for condition. Picked best. Assembled, oiled.

Everything checked on install before moving on to the next part. Biggest problem was balance. All had motion after a while, but none kept motion. 3rd one worked.

Demagnetised, Timegraphed, took an hour (+3s, Amplitude 168 - can't get it better,  beat error 0.3).

Used case from original purchase. Strap from 7009.

It works, been wearing it for 3 days now. 

I know it's not much, a low end watch. But I did it. I've done other automatics, but none have actually maintained their beat without having to be wound manually. 

So, I'm here...ish.

Going away in a few days for my 75th birthday.  Back to the enjoyable hobby on return.

Regards and thank you to you all.

IMG_20230519_105821.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2023 at 11:24 AM, rossjackson01 said:

Demagnetised, Timegraphed, took an hour (+3s, Amplitude 168 - can't get it better,  beat error 0.3).

Well done Ross.

I couldn't get high amplitude out of my 6309 either (typical Seiko). But in a couple of years, you will have so much more knowledge and experience. So when you next service it, you will notice all sorts of things you missed, and you will find the lost amplitude.  

I've been re-servicing some of the watches I started on, and have been noticing mistakes I made (e.g. too much oil 😟) and things I missed before I had more experience. It's just practice. Move on to the next one.

What's next?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Well done Ross.

I couldn't get high amplitude out of my 6309 either (typical Seiko). But in a couple of years, you will have so much more knowledge and experience. So when you next service it, you will notice all sorts of things you missed, and you will find the lost amplitude.  

I've been re-servicing some of the watches I started on, and have been noticing mistakes I made (e.g. too much oil 😟) and things I missed before I had more experience. It's just practice. Move on to the next one.

What's next?

Not often you are wrong, but you are right again. I am servicing a 6119. Amplitude is 200+ (only just). Cleaning better, oiling lighter. More tools. Ability and knowledge to look for, and understand problem solving. Better working practice.

Unfortunately I don't have the crown for the specific case. Project still on going.  

IMG_20230618_120042 (2).jpg

IMG_20230618_120111 (2).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Unfortunately I don't have the crown for the specific case. Project still on going.  

Ross, I don't understand why you can't find a generic crown? You can measure the stem and stem tubes, what's the problem?

22 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Ross, I don't understand why you can't find a generic crown? You can measure the stem and stem tubes, what's the problem?

I've only found one place that has the crown. £30 including postage (from America to UK).

This is the thread

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/26342-seiko-stem/page/2/#comment-222615

59 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

I've only found one place that has the crown. £30 including postage (from America to UK).

This is the thread

But why not just buy a generic crown ? (I think I've asked this about 3 times, this is the last 🤣 )

Edited by mikepilk

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

But why not just buy a generic crown ? (I think I've asked this about 3 times, this is the last 🤣 )

As I said. I ordered what I thought was the generic crown A*F1549 (the one in the other thread, page 1 refers). It was the wrong size. When you say generic. Is that a crown that can be sized to any thread? Pardon my ignorance. I'm not trying to offend. 

Edited by rossjackson01

9 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

As I said. I ordered what I thought was the generic crown (the one in the other thread). It was the wrong size. When you say generic. Is that a crown that can be sized to any thread? Pardon my ignorance. I'm not trying to offend. 

Hi Ross. I'm kinda with mike on this one, i understand keeping things original but if its preventing you from finishing and wearing the watch i would try again with a crown that looks right and has the same tap size. I think you said the stem size is 0.9 mm but remind us again. Can you measure the stem thread diameter. Ignoring pitch size for now, i might have that stem and i have loads of crowns, I'm going to find you a crown if i have one and send it to you.

Thank you, hope you can help. The thread diameter is 0.9mm. Just measured again.  The full crown shown is the one that I purchased for CousinsUK. Thread hole is to small.  Page 1 of the thread is the cousinsUIK purchase. 

IMG_20230617_131015 (2).jpg

IMG_20230617_131029 (2).jpg

Edited by rossjackson01

7 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Thank you, hope you can help. The thread diameter is 0.9mm. Just measured again.  The full crown shown is the one that I purchased for CousinsUK. Thread hole is to small.  Page 1 of the thread is the cousinsUIK purchase. 

Give me as much information as in the attached and I'll look on up for you. 

Screenshot_20230624_154506_Chrome.jpg

20 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Ok.we have a start, i have some 0.9mm seiko stems to work to, i will go through all the buttons i have and see what i can come up with. I will have more questions but maybe not today as going out shortly.

23 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Did you order a crown with a Tap 9 (i.e. a 0.9mm) thread size? Can you re-measure the thread diameter, and the pendant tube outer diameter ?

We'll fix this 😀

8 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok.we have a start, i have some 0.9mm seiko stems to work to, i will go through all the buttons i have and see what i can come up with. I will have more questions but maybe not today as going out shortly.

Never - Thank you However it gets worse for me. I am away from home for 5 days (75th celebration with my twin) returning July 1. Can we take it up from then.  Don't want to waste your time. Regards

Ross

6 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Did you order a crown with a Tap 9 (i.e. a 0.9mm) thread size? Can you re-measure the thread diameter, and the pendant tube outer diameter ?

We'll fix this 😀

Milke - I really appreciate your help.  Thank you . However, I am away from home for 5 days (75th celebration with my twin) returning July 1. Can we take it up from then.  Don't want to waste your time. Regards

Leaving on Sunday 0700

Edited by rossjackson01

1 minute ago, rossjackson01 said:

Thank you However it gets worse for me. I am away from home for 5 days (75th celebration with my twin) returning July 1. Can we take it up from then.  Don't ant top waste your time. Regards

Ross

No problem Ross and behave matey you're not wasting my time, if i can help you out and it makes you happy then I'm happy that I've achieved that. Have lovely Birthday celebration let us know when you are back at it, i will inform you if i find anything useful.

15 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Ok have a good break.

I just found this on ebay - seems like the thread is Tap 10 (1.00mm) not 9, which explains why it didn't fit.

Screenshot2023-06-24161248.png.cc04e0f6494ceba8c6eef1de270717ed.png

Winding stems.com are also stating a 1.0mm stem thread diameter 

11 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Thank you Mike. Don't know ow you found it. But, good man you are. However. every time I measure, I get 0.9 in the micrometer. New one?

Do they have a crown to fit?

How sure are you of the micrometer's accuracy,  sources are showing that the stem should be 1.0mm

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 4:17 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Thank you Mike. Don't know ow you found it. But, good man you are. However. every time I measure, I get 0.9 in the micrometer. New one?

Do they have a crown to fit?

Hi Ross, did you get to the bottom of the crown thread size. I looked though my assortment, i have a few chrome buttons that may fit but nothing gold coloured. 

20230711_213604.jpg

Not figured it out yet. Getting despondent.

Amend that. Just about this watch. I'm doing well with other watches. Even getting amplitude sorted. I've sent for another 6119 to replace that one that did not arrive. Guess what? It also has not arrived. Happy days. 

Edited by rossjackson01