Identical springs?

Bod

8 Day striking mantle clock, probably post war 1950's, but might be earlier. (1920-30)

In general would you expect the main going spring to be the same as the  strike spring?

i have the clock open at present, the main spring has had rust, the strike spring has had a new end hole punched, both springs are the same width, thickness, and length, (as best I can measure with string.) The main spring relaxes much more than the strike spring, at present I'm going to replace both.

Bod

I shan't go against oldhippy but in my experience so far I have not come across a strike with the same spring, mainly due to the extra work that train has to do it requires a stronger spring. These are my findings so far in the world of paid work in horology:)

1331753051_IMG_2928clockspring118523(2).jpg.362d1c52996ec422ad61c6baf8b43178.jpg

Right hand spring is the main time spring.

Left hand is the strike spring.

Running a length of string around the coils, both are the same length.

L/h spring has had a new hole punched in the softened end.

Both are the same width and thickness, and as best I can judge the same strenght.

Thanks Bod.

I would replace both they both look tired / worn out. You need to measure the height from the inside up to to mark for the lid and the inside  diameter I expect both barrels to be the same but do both just in case.