Waltham Model 1910 37s 8 day Car Clock Movement Mainspring Installation

Hello everyone, 

I am working on the above movement and I need to replace one of the mainsprings that are broken. Problem I am running into is that none of my mainspring winders come close to the size of the mainspring barrel (22mm inside dia), all my mainspring winders are too small. I don't want to wind these by hand, so I am looking for some advice or recommendation on if there is a mainspring winding barrel that will work with this movement.

Thanks

12 hours ago, fuse63 said:

I am looking for some advice or recommendation on if there is a mainspring winding barrel that will work with this movement.

oh and those mainsprings did you get originals? If their aftermarket springs you typically have to shape the end because they have a habit of not catching on the barrel wall hook.

I don't suppose you have access to a lathe? I'm attaching a picture as you can see that your standard mainspring winding set. except there seems to be an extra winder there is no place to put it in the box? Notice the two that are out the lower one is the number 15 that would be in the box the one above it is much bigger. This is what happens if you have several Waltham 37 size watches and access to a lathe. so I basically just copied what's in the box but just much much bigger. But don't make the mistake I did the wall from Springs are left-handed my handle is right-handed.

so rather than make a really nice left-handed handle I just hacked out something. Which is not in the picture because it doesn't look very pretty. But the mainspring winder hasn't gone to waste with its handle as it's almost exactly the perfect size and the correct direction for a Hamilton deck watch. So I've use that quite a bit for the Hamiltons although it would've been nice to be just a tiny bit bigger but still it works fine.

then there's this one if you have access to a 3-D printer

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/19340-3d-printed-rs-mainspring-winder-project-for-hobbyists/#comment-164722