Greetings!

dadistic

I thought I'd introduce myself by posting a photo of a watch I just finished messing about with, a Timex Marlin from 1966, 20102466. And no, the seconds hand is not missing, it never had one :-)

It's part of a much larger school of fish. 

Cheers!

David S

post-1200-0-06621500-1438607956_thumb.jp

I've struggled with posting as well so you're not alone. I'm new here as well. Welcome.

So what era is the Timex? Is it a Pin pallet?

Glad to know I'm not alone  :)

The watch is from 1966, the era of Go-Go Girls and Swingers. Yeah, no jewels, so I guess that means it's a pin pallet movement. Amazing that I have so many that work and keep reasonably good time after all these years.

David S - off to the Whiskey-A-Go-Go to watch the girls dance in cages

Hi David

I might have been a bit confusing. A pin pallet escapement is one of the two usual forms of escapement. The other is the lever. I think most of the sixties Timex were probably pin pallet and more expensive watches were lever. Of course, I can't remember as I was there... :)

I don't believe anyone uses pin pallet these days so my wife's childhood Ingersoll is the only one I've done.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_lever_escapement

Hi David

I might have been a bit confusing. A pin pallet escapement is one of the two usual forms of escapement. The other is the lever. I think most of the sixties Timex were probably pin pallet and more expensive watches were lever. Of course, I can't remember as I was there... :)

I don't believe anyone uses pin pallet these days so my wife's childhood Ingersoll is the only one I've done.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_lever_escapement

The pallet lever on the M24 movement has pins instead of jewels, so I believe it would qualify. You wife's Ingersoll is it's ancestor. If I've done this right, there is an exploded diagram of the movement attached to this post. Hopefully.

Cheers!

post-1200-0-86894700-1438860901_thumb.pn

Any successful work on an old Timex is an accomplishment. They are not easy to service. Congrats and welcome!

Thanks! Actually, they're not too bad if you follow the Timex recommendations and don't separate the plates. That way lies madness :-)

I even cheat a little, and don't remove the balance anymore. Too many lost wedge pins and bent hairsprings. I've found that just loosening the balance screw is enough to get the v-conic bearings clean, and I can get oil in them after cleaning no problem. 

Cheers!

Thanks! Actually, they're not too bad if you follow the Timex recommendations and don't separate the plates. That way lies madness :-)

I even cheat a little, and don't remove the balance anymore. Too many lost wedge pins and bent hairsprings. I've found that just loosening the balance screw is enough to get the v-conic bearings clean, and I can get oil in them after cleaning no problem. 

Cheers!

Exactly! That was the mistake I made on a Timex. It was the dickens to reassemble. Never again. :)