35 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

HectorLooi is correct. They are for removing the plugs (ends) fro cylinders. A cylinder is made up of three pieces a plug at each end and the center piece 

cylinderescapement.jpg

Thanks OH. So does the pin on the face of the stake slide into the slot at the side of the cylinder and push the plug out from the inside. I think i would never use these.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

So does the pin on the face of the stake slide into the slot at the side of the cylinder and push the plug out from the inside

Yes that is right The set I had the stakes were very thin. I don't know about the ones you posted photos can be very deceiving. 

28 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thanks OH. So does the pin on the face of the stake slide into the slot at the side of the cylinder and push the plug out from the inside. I think i would never use these.

Your assumption about operation is correct.  The tampons which have the pivots are pressure fitted.  These stakes are the  safest way to remove and replace them without doing damage.  My set of Bergeon stakes look a little different.  I have repaired several cylinder escapement watches and I possess three of them.

As to never knowing if you will use them: in my experience, time will tell.  Prepare to be surprised. 

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The set I had the stakes were very thin. I don't know about the ones you posted photos can be very deceiving. 

yes the picture makes them look really really big I wonder if they made tower clocks with cylinders?

then they do come in a variety of sizes to correspond to the size the cylinder you have. so yes the cylinder watches could be from pocket-size all the way down to possibly a ladies wristwatch and I'm not sure that people made cylinder staking punches understood that. We had one punch in the staking set it was too big we managed to find a vintage set of bergeon ones and they were all too big and this is a pocket watch. So maybe they were designed for carriage clocks or something much bigger.

• Like 1