Rusted mainspring winder

7 hours ago, LEIGH356 said:

but the arbor's are completely stuck solid with rust

I don't quite understand. The arbors are attached to the handles with no moving parts. What are they stuck too?

Some photos would help us understand the situation better.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LEIGH356 said:

arbor's are completely stuck solid with rust . I've had them in the US cleaner but without any luck

the problem is you have steel on steel and rust. You'll need to get a penetrating oil specifically for penetrating rusty screws bowls etc. and let it soak for why health possibly quite a long while the ultrasonic cleaning isn't going to do any good here unless maybe are using the penetrating oil.

Then yes they can rust the older set we have they weren't stuck together but all the arbors were slaves rusty which did require some minor cleaning so yes they will rust so penetrating oil will be your friend here preferably one designed for loosening screws etc.

• Thanks 1

Hi

Sorry for late reply , work commitments . 

My terminology may be wrong , this is a new hobby and I'm still leaning .

It's the arbor's that are stuck solid within the the main body of the winder .  Of the set of 17 only a few can be separated from the winder body . In the photo of the larger winder "11" the arbor will not budge and turns the entire innerworkings of the main body . The  smaller mainspring winder works as it should . 

I'll try leaving them submerged in oil as suggested  

IMG_20230511_134920.jpg