My Little Collection

The half-hunter is Hebdomus, the black strap is Seiko, the fancy one a Ricoh and, lastly my old Pinnacle diving watch. The Pinnacle got a lot of use too and only got retired when I gave up diving - shortly after which the lume fell out of one hand and wedged the movement and I couldn't find anyone to repair it...

11 hours ago, Timorbloke said:

I still have every watch I've bought but it's not many. I have one from each grandfather, one of which I wore throughout my military career, the Timor. I'm only just learning about them now, so any information would be great.

11 hours ago, Timorbloke said:

I still have every watch I've bought but it's not many. I have one from each grandfather, one of which I wore throughout my military career, the Timor. I'm only just learning about them now, so any information would be great.

IMG_20230509_234915.jpg

hiIMG_20230509_234915.jpg

Hi . How you doin matey. The Timor is lovely,  how did you come by this please ? Was it your own purchase. 

It was my grandfather's, he was in N Africa and when he came home after the war he served another year or so and was issued with it in 45 or 46. He passed it on to me when I joined up, and I wore it through the Falklands, Gulf War 1 and Bosnia. It's more than earned it's keep!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Timorbloke said:

It was my grandfather's, he was in N Africa and when he came home after the war he served another year or so and was issued with it in 45 or 46. He passed it on to me when I joined up, and I wore it through the Falklands, Gulf War 1 and Bosnia. It's more than earned it's keep!

Sentimental and valuable it needs looking after. The Dirty Dozens are my favourite watches,  i own a Record and hopefully will collect more in time.

Richard Harris 123, here's a photo of the back. Do you know what the numbers mean?

I've been looking up Dirty Dozen since the comments above. Not sure I should have dragged it through the dirt with so little thought for 25yrs!

I have sent an email to the Nekkid Watchmaker though, I think it deserves his level of attention to put it back in use and I can't think of anyone better to do it - he's the reason I became interested in learning more....

IMG_20230511_104241.jpg

On 5/11/2023 at 9:50 AM, Timorbloke said:

Richard Harris 123, here's a photo of the back. Do you know what the numbers mean?

I've been looking up Dirty Dozen since the comments above. Not sure I should have dragged it through the dirt with so little thought for 25yrs!

I have sent an email to the Nekkid Watchmaker though, I think it deserves his level of attention to put it back in use and I can't think of anyone better to do it - he's the reason I became interested in learning more....

IMG_20230511_104241.jpg

The numbers are just serial numbers specific to that watch to identify it. The first is the mod serial number that was issued to it the second as far as i know relates to its decommissioning.  The wearer can buy them after decom , sometimes they were sold privately to the public. The K is the letter code for the Timor. Each DD has its own letter code. The Timor was a mid production number watch, only 13000 were made, i wouldnt be surprised if only half still exist. There were more rare ones the Grana is the most sought after. 

2 hours ago, Timorbloke said:

I was shocked to find another of my grandfather's watches today going through old boxes. I'll put the pictures up and see if the group knowledge base can illuminate....

IMG_20230515_221404.jpg

IMG_20230515_221434.jpg

IMG_20230515_221500.jpg

If you post clearer pictures of the symbols inside the case it can be dated. There should be an assay letter code to date it, the standard lion an assay office stamp possibly a crown with Sheffield being on the dial, and a maker's stamp.