Click spring on a Smiths mantel clock

Rixy

I have taken apart a Smiths clock for cleaning and discovered a homemade click spring has been put in to replace a broken one on the strike side. The original had been riveted in place and the homemade one uses a different hole lower down and the bump of the old rivet as a stop for this makeshift one.  On the time side it looks like the riveted click spring has been successfully replaced with a screw-in one, using the old rivet hole. What are people's views on what I should do? Keep the makeshift spring? Try to remove the riveted remains of the original and screw a new spring in or have a go at riveting a new spring in place?20230507_220133.thumb.jpg.efadf1300363db27f212699cdf75d69d.jpg

20230507_220153.jpg

20230507_220138.jpg

Cousins do all types of click spring and i am sure they do that type, the only thing is you have postage and packaging on top if you live in the UK someone might have a spare one they can send you, i will have a look later today to see if i have one and get back to you if i do.

• Thanks 1

Replace it that is a horrid repair. You need to make sure the two holes are as near to the original to have a good fit you can always enlarge if needed. here are some that can help the first link is best. You cold look on ebay. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/v-shape-by-size

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/click-springs-assorted

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It may well be a distorted cotter pin, or perhaps some twisted spring wire. When I saw it, I thought someone had taken a bit of coat hanger!

I have found a Smiths movement that I bought for parts a while back and didn't use. It fits the case perfectly and it all works, so I think the easiest thing to do is a 'transplant' and salvage what I can for spares.