Watch tips and tricks.

Eyup watch peeps. Thought a thread about random ideas and tips we have might be of interest. If i can kick one off with something i thought of last night while wrestling with a hairspring.  At 1 oclock in the morning trying to figure out a ridiculously low amplitude on a cheap swiss movement was testing my patience. Power was good with a nice escape wheel back spin, pivots on the lever looked good and the lever flicked nicely over once installed. A well shaped hairspring was put back on the marked up balance fitted to the cock and installed back into the movement.  Looking inside it looked pretty naff, all bent up at one side and rubbing on the bal cock, so a slight twist at stud should pull it into place. Needing to be right up to the stud was proving  arkward to get to even with the smallest tweezers i have as i wanted to be directly above the spring to twist. Checking out the dial side i noticed a very conveniently largish hole directly below where i wanted to be. Largish hole but not quite large enough to get the tweezers in and be able to twist. Being a rough arsed joiner i love my days of tearing stuff apart on houses and first fixing, its all big hammers and crowbars and makes me very happy 🙂. I have a few specific bars and one in particular that is fork shaped is great for twisting joists over to straighten them out when nailing in noggins.  💡moment, some kind of thin fork shaped metal twisty thingy.  Looking around the watchroom at all the random shite i have I'm not seeing what i need, " i need to make something " . Then i clap eyes on a pack of needles, golden idea me thinks. Taking the smallest needle and honing off the eye gave me the smallest forked prybar known to man. Who said joiners are thick ? Nah we just pretend to be then we get the easy jobs 😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup watch peeps. Thought a thread about random ideas and tips we have might be of interest. If i can kick one off with something i thought of last night while wrestling with a hairspring.  At 1 oclock in the morning trying to figure out a ridiculously low amplitude on a cheap swiss movement was testing my patience. Power was good with a nice escape wheel back spin, pivots on the lever looked good and the lever flicked nicely over once installed. A well shaped hairspring was put back on the marked up balance fitted to the cock and installed back into the movement.  Looking inside it looked pretty naff, all bent up at one side and rubbing on the bal cock, so a slight twist at stud should pull it into place. Needing to be right up to the stud was proving  arkward to get to even with the smallest tweezers i have as i wanted to be directly above the spring to twist. Checking out the dial side i noticed a very conveniently largish hole directly below where i wanted to be. Largish hole but not quite large enough to get the tweezers in and be able to twist. Being a rough arsed joiner i love my days of tearing stuff apart on houses and first fixing, its all big hammers and crowbars and makes me very happy 🙂. I have a few specific bars and one in particular that is fork shaped is great for twisting joists over to straighten them out when nailing in noggins.  💡moment, some kind of thin fork shaped metal twisty thingy.  Looking around the watchroom at all the random shite i have I'm not seeing what i need, " i need to make something " . Then i clap eyes on a pack of needles, golden idea me thinks. Taking the smallest needle and honing off the eye gave me the smallest forked prybar known to man. Who said joiners are thick ? Nah we just pretend to be then we get the easy jobs 😄

As thick as two short planks? Hehe 

I have two of rubbing Breguets that need help. Searching here and everywhere else the technique to correct the overcoil in the flat is..elusive. Hovering tweezers midair whilst twisting is not in my physical repertoire. I may have to give this a try. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rehajm said:

I have two of rubbing Breguets that need help. Searching here and everywhere else the technique to correct the overcoil in the flat is..elusive. Hovering tweezers midair whilst twisting is not in my physical repertoire. I may have to give this a try. 

Absolutely, i didn't say but it worked a treat, 2 twists and it was fixed the second was to correct the first overtwist. Tbf i did have a very good vantage point from underneath, and I'm sure thats why the hole was there.  After honing the eye you may need to bring the fork together. Twists with tweezers can be tricky, when using 2 pair, one is to hold and the other doesn't grip and twist but is open moved to a position and then closed to twist the hairspring.  Less hand action 😄

• Like 1

This is brilliant!  I do tailoring and alterations, and because I find that needle shaft can always be used for other things, I've saved any that broke.  I think I will look through my small stock of broken needles and make myself a tool.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

As thick as two short planks? Hehe 

Rude 🤣

47 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

This is brilliant!  I do tailoring and alterations, and because I find that needle shaft can always be used for other things, I've saved any that broke.  I think I will look through my small stock of broken needles and make myself a tool.

As my well fitting t-shirt rightly states   #Thats what i do - I fix stuff and I know things # 🙂  ( sometimes 😆

• Like 1

• 9 months later...