Been working hard last few weeks so it was time to treat myself to some tools etc. Some would call it random shite, i call it keeping myself content, and its a healthy fix as long as you dont get carried away. So i just wanted to show off my Bestfit encyclopedias. Been waiting ages to pick them up at a good price.  Generally anywhere from 50-100 quid for both parts. These started at 20 and no one bid for them so well chuffed at that.. The Pdfs have been ok, quick to search through and take up no space at all but do have their drawbacks, a tenner to download them for starters for those that aren't in the know 😉. But there is no substitute for sitting on the sofa with a cuppa in one hand and a good old fashioned book in the other. Any beginners looking on this post,  these are a great reference guide and plenty of useful info besides.

Behold the watch material legends !!     

"The Bestfit Books"

20230505_165802.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

But there is no substitute for sitting on the sofa with a cuppa in one hand and a good old fashioned book in the other

Well, I'll pass on the cuppa (give me an espresso any day though) but I am 100% with you.  I love having digital books so you can quickly search, but having something to hold in your hands is priceless.  Plus, you get all that old book smell goodness too!  😆

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I poster both Bestfit books ages ago on here for members to down load free. 

Thanks OH thats how i originally got my pdfs. They've been very useful but there is just something about having them in book format. 

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I printed out the TZ illustrated glossary, I don't need it often as I know the parts but occasionally I forget and just have a quick look.  Prefer it to looking on my phone. 

Eyup Rich. I dont understand what the TZ illustrated glossary is ?

I am stuggling to understand the use of the staff #100 numbering system though. There are a dozen pages or so that detail approx 2000  staff dimensions but they are listed in size order and not  by the # 100 staff numbering system. So to find a staff's dimensions you have to sift though 2000 watch calibers listed by the out of order bestfit numbering system hoping that you dont bypass the number you are looking for. Crazy way of listing the staffs and stems it makes the use of those dozen pages very difficult. 

5 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

Most new members HERE (?) get a link to that?  I don't recall getting one.  How do I get one?

Is there a new members area ? The bestfit pdfs that OH posted is well worth having. 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Do the wind right. Place it in the washer. Turn the washer over and push the spring into the barrel as though it were a new spring.

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

Well of course, Mark has his courses (which cost) here: https://www.watchfix.com/

This web site has an amazing amount of animated information: https://ciechanow.ski/mechanical-watch/

Alex's tutorials are also pretty good if you follow them in sequence: https://www.youtube.com/@watchrepairtutorials

7 minutes ago, kd8tzc said:

Most new members HERE (?) get a link to that?  I don't recall getting one.  How do I get one?

Either Google it or search it on here.  I don't know the link but we need to start giving new members the link again, it's really useful.