Seiko 6923a not running after coil replacement

Hi everyone,

At the moment, I am stuck with this Seiko 6923-8080 (movement is a 6923a) and I would like to ask for your help.

I found it at a flea market some time ago. It didn't run and upon first inspection, I found that the wires of the coil have been ripped off of the soldering pads on the upper part. It took me a while to source a new coil, but I ended up finding a non-running donor watch on eBay. So the new coil is in now, the battery is fresh, all the contacting surfaces are cleaned, but it still doesn't run. I have a cheap device to test the electronic parts of a quartz watch (i.e. detecting the pulse that should drive the motor). This shows me a pulse, but compared to other quartz watches, it seems to be very weak. I also swapped the circuit board from the donor into this one with the same result. This testing device also has a "mechanical line-free" function. Using this, the hands seem to move freely.

I'm rather new to the hobby, so I wonder how to move forward. Is there any sense in trying to service the mechanical parts? Could it be, that the pulse of the driving electronics is, in fact, too weak? What other hints do you have for me? Basically, any advice is very much appreciated 🙂

Thanks a lot in advance and have a nice day!

PXL_20230501_095708235.jpg

PXL_20230501_095800266.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

it would be helpful to see picture of your testing device just so I can see what you're working with.

I don't suppose you have any other test equipment like a DVM for instance?

the problem with a quartz watch is it has a electronic component and a mechanical components. The electronic really needs better test equipment even without seeing the picture of what you have. This is were even having a digital volt meter would be nice but additional test equipment that you don't have would be even better but that's going to cost some money.

Then the mechanical component by the way in case you didn't have it I've attached the service guide there seems to be two of them I don't know why the second one looks more like a parts list but there's two of them. You'll notice this is also a mechanical watch mechanical components. Quartz watches like any other watch need to be serviced especially if there at all dirty or bad lubrication or the battery leaks and get some things quartz watches require almost 0 power to run and things that wouldn't even affect the mechanical watch could stop it. Then yes the thing the spin the train doesn't necessarily mean the watches going to run.

Probably all the watch needs is to be taken apart cleaned and there is a special oil for quartz watches I believe it's 9000 which I found works really well on quartz watches but if you're only going to do one well that's a problem because sometimes the wrong oils can be an issue on a quartz watch.

So without proper testing  equipment it's hard to go much further other then it probably just needs to be cleaned. You could try a taking of the plate off that's holding the wheels in place and take the gears out except the rotor and put that back in and see if that will turn when the watches running and that if that works in you can put the next gear in but it's probably just a cleaning issue.

Seiko 6923A.pdf Seiko 6922A&6923A.pdf

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the comprehensive response and thanks a lot for the service guide!

I attached a picture of the testing device I used. This gives a visible and audible signal, every time it detects a pulse from the electronics. And for the watch in question, it picks up a pulse every second. But as I said, it seems somewhat weak (i.e. the light is more dim and the sound not as loud) compared to other quartz watches I have. But I don't know whether this sais anything about the movement. But anyway, a pulse is deteceted.

I do have a digital volt meter, but a rather simple one. But I think I can do the measurements that are described in the service guide.

I've been reluctant to take apart the mechanical components. I had a different quartz watch, of which I've serviced the mechanics, and I could barely make everything fit again. But I guess I just have to do it, right? So yeah, if the tests in the service guide don't reveal another issue, I will try my hand at servicing the mechanics of this watch.

As for oiling, the service guide mentions "Moebius A". I do not find oil by Moebius that goes by that name. I do have Moebius D-5 and 9010 oils. Do you think one of those might work? What's the main feature of oils for quartz watches? Do they have an extra low viscosity?

I hope I can get to the bench this weekend. I'll post an update in this thread if there's anything new to share!

Again, thanks a lot for the adive and the hints, I really appreciate it.

Tester.jpg

54 minutes ago, HighDolphinition said:

a pulse is deteceted

protecting a pulse is a good thing your tester isn't really designed to do a detailed analysis of the strength of the pulse it just tells you if you have a pulse or not basically. So if you have a pulse that's good

55 minutes ago, HighDolphinition said:

I've been reluctant to take apart the mechanical components. I had a different quartz watch, of which I've serviced the mechanics, and I could barely make everything fit again. But I guess I just have to do it, right? So yeah, if the tests in the service guide don't reveal another issue, I will try my hand at servicing the mechanics of this watch.

I see by the number of posts on the message board can I assume you're new to watch repair? If you knew your showing considerable intelligence using the word reluctant. So many people want to jump in because watch repair is easy expressly with all the videos they see on YouTube the reality is it's not that easy.

It would be best to find some things to practice with.  basically need something that you don't care about don't care for runs or not she can practice taken apart and putting it together. Usually I like to recommend the Chinese clone of the 6497 mechanical watch so you get a feel for watch taken apart put it back together. Ideally it have a timing machines each time you verify that it still running correctly after it's been taken apart and putting back together.

the problem with quartz watches are they run a much less energy than a mechanical watch and they have some interesting challenges to go back together like there's a rotor that's a really strong magnets it sticks to everything gears that don't necessarily want to stand upright and definitely do not want to go back to where they go it's a smaller size than some mechanical watches just requires more skill C yes need something to practice with or several things to practice with an as is said something a don't care about if a pivot mysteriously falls off your care.

59 minutes ago, HighDolphinition said:

As for oiling, the service guide mentions "Moebius A". I do not find oil by Moebius that goes by that name. I do have Moebius D-5 and 9010 oils. Do you think one of those might work? What's the main feature of oils for quartz watches? Do they have an extra low viscosity?

I have a link below where you find out about their lubrication if you click on the tab for oil. Then look at your 9010 it used to have a name a lot of their oils had names if not all of them before they had numbers now there's just numbers. so 9010 used to be called Synt-A-Lube which is the light oils are talking about. If you use D5 the watch will definitely not run at all as it's way way too heavy.

the basically end up with a quartz oil having a viscosity of 100 you'll find that on the specialty section of their website. 9010 viscosity 150 and D5 is over 1000 not suitable for pivots at all. At least not in a quartz watch.

I'm attaching some more technical documentation. One of them is a Swiss watch you can look at how they go together their lubrication requirements notice they have a different light oil. I only looked up one of the two that they recommend it is viscosity of 100 it's really meant for our chick temperature used for mechanical watches. No idea whether it's cheaper than the quartz watch oil well then then another recommendation but I didn't look it up.  then as you have D5 they're using it on the keyless I would really prefer grease but since you have it. The rules and lubrication are really rigidly written because they changed with time the Seiko tech sheet is much older the Swiss one is much newer.

Also attached a thing on quartz watches lot a general information and then they even have a troubleshooting chart towards the back.

1 hour ago, HighDolphinition said:

I've been reluctant to take apart the mechanical components. I had a different quartz watch, of which I've serviced the mechanics, and I could barely make everything fit again. But I guess I just have to do it, right?

I actually like the word reluctant that's outstanding. there's a lot of lessons to learn and watch repair one of them is when not to take something apart yet. People see the YouTube videos of how easy watch repair is and then jump into a variety of things watches that are valuable to them, or valuable to other people or parts are basically impossible to get ads or simplistically things they shouldn't be doing yet but no worries they saw video it's easy.

So the service a quartz watch you require a good hand eye coordination the same as in watch repair but it's a tiny watch. A watch that requires way less power than a mechanical watch mechanical watches can put up with all kinds of things not being quite right but quartz watches have to be perfect if they want to run. Which is why years probably just needs to be serviced in other words cleaned and properly oiled.

What she should do is find something to practice with something that you don't care about if the pivots mysteriously falls off which they do for unknown reasons don't worry about it does get better at making sure the pivots don't fall off. Then quartz watches have those added complications true they don't have a hairspring but there's a rotor that likes to stick to everything and everything likes to stick to it.

https://www.moebius-lubricants.ch/en

CT_955102_FDE_491123_08.pdf witschi Knowledge Quartz Watch.pdf