What's your favourite YouTube watch repair channel?

1 hour ago, Klassiker said:

Better still, you could ask him to explain for himself, either publicly in the YouTube comments, or PM him on this forum. I believe his member i.d. is Stian.

No, I'm good and Stian doesn't have anything he needs to explain for himself...and I'm happy with my statements. What Stian wants to do or not want to do is his prerogative...

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I think you have to realize

2 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Well, no I don't. That's your opinion, isn't it? Not a fact. Not something I have to realise, or even agree with.

I guess I should have written "I came to realize that the channel does not exist as a result of a passion for repairing watches". So, you're absolutely right, not an opinion that you have to agree with or is expected by me to agree with. I guess bad choice of words on my part.

Sorry if that comes across as dogmatic.

No worries! 🙂

Puzzling to see, despite the "less is more" mantra, how much oil he puts on the cap jewels here (at 12:55)

I believe there's consensus about covering about 50 to 70 (or 80?) per cent of the cap jewel surface with thin oil like is shown in the video. As I remember it this is also what Mark recommends in his courses. Anyway, I'm not a professional and I'm always interested in differing opinions (the best way to learn!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Puzzling to see, despite the "less is more" mantra, how much oil he puts on the cap jewels here (at 12:55)

But I guess you get his drift ......?

Indeed, I agree; well trained, well equipped, good techniques and excellent recording, editing and video quality.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rehajm said:

No, I'm good

Yes, probably best to stop digging, and I'll disregard your "data point".

34 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

But I guess you get his drift ......?

Of course, it's worth emphasising, and he may also be spot-on with the 80% recommendation, too. I suppose I was hoping that someone with knowledge of the current training at WOSTEP or wherever would chip in and clarify. Just being lazy! I will have to find out for myself. I was also trying to say that it's not reasonable to expect perfection  every time from any YouTuber, and it's right to be sceptical and gather information from different sources. Even if Dimitri were dead wrong on this one specific point,  I'd still find his videos very useful and I'll continue to watch them. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

Well, this thread was meant to promote the YT channels that we learn the most from, but I still can't help but complain some more about a certain channel.

This time I'm going to complain about Nekkid Watchmaker (you're going to hate me now). He is definitely a very skilled (perhaps the most skilled) and very entertaining restorer of watch cases, but his way of oiling jewel bearings is, in my opinion, a pure disaster. Watch the following examples:

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

In some other video, he mentions that he is aware that he is careless but that he oils properly off-camera. For me, it is incomprehensible that he chooses to show how he slobbers around with the oil. Why not do the job right, then show what it looks like, and then explain that videotaping the actual work is not technically possible? A picture (video) is worth a thousand words and I worry that beginners look more at what he does than what he says.

3 hours ago, Klassiker said:

I was also trying to say that it's not reasonable to expect perfection  every time from any YouTuber, and it's right to be sceptical and gather information from different sources.

Glad you've sensed the drift 😉

46 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I'm going to complain about Nekkid Watchmaker (you're going to hate me now)

Oh my... now you are playing with fire 🤣, I never noticed his oiling technique, but I guess I won't be able to not notice it now I am aware of it. Maybe the best strategy is to take the best bits from each youtuber to develop your own style/skills.

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Well, this thread was meant to promote the YT channels that we learn the most from, but I still can't help but complain some more about a certain channel.

There is the whole spectrum of YT channels, some are very good down to what I think are complete idiots. If you don't like what you see, move on to an other channel. From nearly every channel you may pick up some interesting information or techniques which do work good for you.

There are many ways to skin a cat. There are currently methods and techniques which are touted as "the only holy way", only to find them obsolete in a few years time. The past is littered with those.

Also there is no point in worrying about beginners, they have to learn to differentiate between what's good and what's less good, just as we had too. Beginners have to, just like we had to, take their own responsibilities.

I'm pretty sure that my all techniques are total crap. The way I skin the cat is a combination of techniques I've learned through the years, picked up from many different sources and guess what; all my watches I've done are still working fine.

Who on this planet has the total wisdom anyway ?

If I see an interesting channel, I watch, learn, thank them for their efforts and move on once I'm done. To me there is no point in winding myself up about those whom I perceive as well meaning "idiots". Besides, if these people weren't there, how can you compare?

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VWatchie said:

This time I'm going to complain about Nekkid Watchmaker (you're going to hate me now). He is definitely a very skilled (perhaps the most skilled) and very entertaining restorer of watch cases, but his way of oiling jewel bearings is, in my opinion, a pure disaster. Watch the following examples:

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3

In some other video, he mentions that he is aware that he is careless but that he oils properly off-camera. For me, it is incomprehensible that he chooses to show how he slobbers around with the oil. Why not do the job right, then show what it looks like, and then explain that videotaping the actual work is not technically possible? A picture (video) is worth a thousand words and I worry that beginners look more at what he does than what he says.

Very bad he floods the oil sinks and oil is even out of the sinks when he has finished. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Endeavor said:

There is the whole spectrum of YT channels, some are very good down to what I think are complete idiots. If you don't like what you see, move on to an other channel. From nearly every channel you may pick up some interesting information or techniques which do work good for you.

Well said, and that's my experience and opinion as well. It would seem you can pick up something good or interesting from all channels, even from the "idiots", although it's seldom worth the time to wait for those few and far between good or interesting things to show up.

Also there is no point in worrying about beginners, they have to learn to differentiate between what's good and what's less good, just as we had too. Beginners have to, just like we had to, take their own responsibilities.

I guess you're right about that, but I get red rashes all over my body when I see someone slobber around with oil like that. After all, oiling is one of the most critical aspects of servicing a watch if we want it to work reliably for more than a few months.

I'm pretty sure that my all techniques are total crap.

Well, I'd be more than shocked if that would turn out to be true, especially as all your watches are still working fine and since I know how serious and skilled you are. I wish I too could say that "all my watches I've done are still working fine". They're not 😢

The way I skin the cat is a combination of techniques I've learned through the years, picked up from many different sources

I could have written that exact same sentence myself, and I'm 100 per cent sure none of us is servicing and repairing watches doing it in exactly the same way.

If I see an interesting channel, I watch, learn, thank them for their efforts and move on once I'm done. To me there is no point in winding myself up about those whom I perceive as well meaning "idiots".

Well, that's the commendable and rational approach, but sometimes I just can't help myself. If something is really bad, clearly wrong, or risks damaging the watch (like the oiling, or hammering out a balance staff in a staking set) I feel it's my privilege to be able to write a helping or suggesting comment about it, and I don't get too wound about it (except perhaps momentarily).

Thanks for your input! Very readable, and I hope I didn't wind you up too much! 😉

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Here's another channel I'd like to promote:

Leo Vidal Watches

This guy reminds me of my own approach to servicing/repairing. Not to say I'm as good or skilled as him, but I really like his approach and his pedagogic skills are fantastic (video and narrative).

Watched one of Leo's videos late last night while fixing. I enjoy listening to his accent , the way he talks to himself and dry sense of humor it all ties in quite nicely with his repairing. I cant comment on his skill as not seen enough yet, I'm also rather critical 😅

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Watched one of Leo's videos late last night while fixing. I enjoy listening to his accent , the way he talks to himself and dry sense of humor it all ties in quite nicely with his repairing. I cant comment on his skill as not seen enough yet, I'm also rather critical 😅

And, he has some really nice tools in great condition, and I'm a sucker for nice tools! Also, clean, orderly and structured. I like that a lot!

56 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I cant comment on his skill as not seen enough yet, I'm also rather critical 😅

Well, not skilled like an experienced pro, but his way of learning is skilful! 😉

I especially enjoyed the following video:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking for information on how to use a screw-head polishing-tool and a Jacot-tool, this Grumpy (but with fine humor) guy takes his time to explain & record it very well.

I haven't seen any of his watch repair video's jet, but if they are of the same quality, it may be worth to check him out;

https://www.youtube.com/@grumpyswatchrestorations/videos

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:38 PM, VWatchie said:

Well, not skilled like an experienced pro, but his way of learning is skilful! 😉

I especially enjoyed the following video

Not skilled like an experienced pro !?? He seems to me 🙂

There is a huge difference in knowing your stuff and teaching. For teaching you really need to know your stuff.

Even though I've the equipment, I've never done jeweling of worn holes. I've seen a few video's how its done, but he has given me another incentive to give it a try.

Great video, great commentary (I like his accent a lot) and for sure educative 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Looking for information on how to use a screw-head polishing-tool and a Jacot-tool, this Grumpy (but with fine humor) guy takes his time to explain & record it very well.

I haven't seen any of his watch repair video's jet, but if they are of the same quality, it may be worth to check him out;

https://www.youtube.com/@grumpyswatchrestorations/videos

This one is new to me, better than some out there. Just watched his  video on using the jacot tool. As you say he takes his time to explain things. His order of polishing and then rounding a pivot did seem backward though.  Rounding last the side of the pivot can pick up score marks from the lantern that you would want to polish out afterwards. Thats just my experience and thought worth mentioning. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Rounding last the side of the pivot can pick up score marks from the lantern that you would want to polish out afterwards. Thats just my experience and thought worth mentioning. 

Seems a valid point to me 👍 Better be save than sorry 😉

As said in this thread (and others) many times, we learn from each other and there are many ways to skin a cat. We pick the ways which suites each of us the best.

I like the jeweling of worn friction bearings. The only slight problem I have, and that's why I haven't done it jet, is that my main candidate for this is a 1975 Omega 861 with worn arbor holes in the barrel-bridge and main-plate; not something you like to screw up. Perhaps first some good running movements have to be appointed volunteers to gain experience 😉

4 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

Seems a valid point to me 👍 Better be save than sorry 😉

As said in this thread (and others) many times, we learn from each other and there are many ways to skin a cat. We pick the ways which suites each of us the best.

I like the jeweling of worn friction bearings. The only slight problem I have, and that's why I haven't done it jet, is that my main candidate for this is a 1975 Omega 861 with worn arbor holes in the barrel-bridge and main-plate; not something you like to screw up. Perhaps first some good running movements have to be appointed volunteers to gain experience 😉

I only know because i made that same mistake of doing it that way round when i started using the jacot. Round first if the pivot requires it then polish out the sides. There is always the argument that badly scuffed sides of a pivot could damage the insides of the lantern hole.  Maybe that going a bit far and I'm not sure if the runners are a any more harder material  than the lanerns. I've subscribed to his channel,  definitely worth watching more of his videos.  I agree always pracice on something much less important.  I'm holding back on swapping out a balance staff on my Record DD.  I want a lot more staff replacements under my belt first as the balance complete for it is over £250. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Not skilled like an experienced pro !?? He seems to me 🙂

The stuff he knows and is experienced with looks immaculate, but there's a video where he slaughters and then pings a clip for the day wheel with a pair of hand levers. That's more than perfectly fine with me. I appreciate that he includes it so that I don't have to make the same sorry mistake.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I appreciate that he includes it

To me that shows how honest he is and not afraid showing the reality of the job/hobby. We all screw up, some more than others 🙂

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 11:41 AM, Endeavor said:

Having seen the video I have a few suggestions.

Add a bit of thin oil (like 9010) to the pivot and pivot bed before burnishing.

Do not place the burnisher on its edge (as seen in the video) as it will increase the risk of sliding up on and damaging the arbor of the wheel (I believe that happens in the video).

JacotToolFail.jpg.805e65060011a469d655da55be58e0b4.jpg

Use long and not overly fast strokes with the burnisher rather than short and fast (as seen in the video).

Inspect the pivot shoulder before and after burnishing. It should be perfectly flat and be polished black. That is, all light from the pivot shoulder should reflect in the same direction making it look black under a stereo microscope. When looked at from above a slight vortex pattern can be seen on the pivot shoulder but that, I've learned, is natural. It is extremely important to clean the pivot and shoulder before inspecting it. If you forget you can't draw any conclusions.

I also found out that it helps to look at the Jacot tool from above while burnishing rather than look at it from the side.

A few years ago I did summarize my conclusions about using a Jacot tool and asked @nickelsilver what he thought of it. Hopefully, it will add to the subject!

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I have a few suggestions

Please post an instructional video of your own! I haven't found a good one  online about the Jacot, and you seem to have some really clear insight into the best tools, techniques, desired results, and just as important, what can go wrong and why.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:56 AM, Klassiker said:

Please post an instructional video of your own!

I wish I had the time and resources for that. I'm not an expert at using the Jacot tool, but I get results satisfactory enough that I may try to make a video about it someday, maybe...

For now, I would suggest:

• Watch as many YT videos about it as possible. A few are good, others are decent, and many others are not that impressive.
  • Read as much as possible about it here on WRT (Google "site:watchrepairtalk.com jacot tool"). For example, read the (long) thread "Jacot tool and pivot file burnisher question". Some posts are very informative (and some are less so).
  • Get a Jacot tool in as good a condition as possible. Don't try to mix and match badly worn and cheap parts. It's my impression that the Steiner brand is some of "the best".
  • If the Jacot tool doesn't come with a bow to drive it, get an extendable key ring with yoyo function and cord (avoid the types where the cord is coated with plastic as they tend to slip in my experience).

JacotToolExtentableKeyring.jpg.47e6d9ed860a6460ad7d33c1f430cabf.jpg
This is what my extendable key ring with the yoyo function looks like

• Get a vice to hold the Jacot tool.
  • Get a good burnisher. I use the Bergeon 2933G Burnisher (Left Hand). If you are right-handed as I am that is what you need (it sounds contradictory, I know!). The cheaper Vallorbe is better suited for pocket watches.
  • Get a Seitz jewel gauge, or some other method to determine the pivot size. Be careful not to measure small pivots (< 0.12mm) in a micrometre as it risks denting the pivot.
  • Get a good quality eye loupe to see what you are doing while burnishing. I use a Bergeon ARY, Right Eye Clip On, I believe with x5 magnification.
  • Don't forget to oil the pivot (thin oil) when in the pivot bed before burnishing, and remember to thoroughly clean the pivot (Rodico works well) before inspecting it under strong magnification (preferably a 40X stereo microscope). When done, the wheel should of course be properly recleaned.
  • Finally. Practice, practice, practice!

For what it's worth, I made this short video where I operate my Jacot tool:

Edited by VWatchie
Added a short video
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I wish I had the time and resources for that.

Me too.

5 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Watch as many YT videos about it as possible. A few are good

Recommendations? I have found one, maybe two where I actually learned something by watching very closely for something very specific. Sure there are videos of people using Jacot tools who are clearly experts, but there is little explanation of the process in those. I've seen nothing which attempts to cover the ground in your posts above.

Thanks for the tips, but there's nothing like seeing it with your own eyes.

6 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Practice, practice, practice!

I learn poor technique that way just as fast as good technique. Only problem is, there are a hundred wrong ways for every right one!

On 4/30/2023 at 4:46 AM, VWatchie said:

but a couple of appreciated new additions are Chronoglide Watchmakers 

I've been watching these a little and I find them interesting.  I have two questions about Kalle's videos though.  Are his screwdrivers magnetized for when he takes the movements apart?  It seem that every screw he removes sticks to the blade like it is magnetized.  Second, does he ever show how he actually fixed the watch?  He does some excellent commentary on what is wrong with it and such, but the videos that I have watched, I have not seen him put one back together (granted, I have only watched a few, so maybe I just have not seen them yet... would love to see one though to learn).