I had to take an law exam for my work. The exam required a written content to display knowledge. I was employed as a trainer and used to step in to assist law teachers. Take the exam they said.  I prepared and usually had a finish result of 95%.  The exam board changed the style of the exam before I was due to take it. 60% written and 40% 'tick box' 40 questions.  Pass mark to be 70%. I took the exam. 58% in the 60% part. 2% in the 40% 'tick box'. All the answers to chose from, looked the same to me. I can't differentiate.

I still used to teach the classes. Was considered one of the best for verbal input and explanation.  I had the highest pass rate of students.

Ah well. 

2 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

I had to take an law exam for my work. The exam required a written content to display knowledge. I was employed as a trainer and used to step in to assist law teachers. Take the exam they said.  I prepared and usually had a finish result of 95%.  The exam board changed the style of the exam before I was due to take it. 60% written and 40% 'tick box' 40 questions.  Pass mark to be 70%. I took the exam. 58% in the 60% part. 2% in the 40% 'tick box'. All the answers to chose from, looked the same to me. I can't differentiate.

I still used to teach the classes. Was considered one of the best for verbal input and explanation.  I had the highest pass rate of students.

Ah well. 

I'm dyslexic too but I'm the opposite.  I would of done better in the multiple choice section as my hand runs away with me whilst writing.  These days of could request a computer of course, word processing is a god send for me. 

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I'm dyslexic too but I'm the opposite.  I would of done better in the multiple choice section as my hand runs away with me whilst writing.  These days of could request a computer of course, word processing is a god send for me. 

I learn from the videos and understand a great part of what is shown and explained. I now am able to follow Chronoglide and Alex Hamilton easily. I could give a verbal explanation of the systems in my own words. However I really struggle to remember the names of the parts of the watch and tools used. Even in the above post I had to look up the name of the thing that oscillates. Oh that's right, after looking it up I was able to say, 'the balance'. That's how bad it is for me. I spend time, when doing these posts. looking up the names of the watch parts in Mark Lovick's course 1.5.6 'Identifying watch parts'. Remembering the names of the tools is an absolute pain. I want to look on ebay for something and can't for the life of me begin to think of the name of the item. Infuriating. But I can use the items. 

Love the hobby though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

dyslexic

what you're going to find on this group is a sizable percentage of the people have some form of dyslexia. It may be mild enough that they don't grasp they have it but they probably doI had seen a book once that I wasn't happy with it was explaining where if you took dyslexia out of the equation having dyslexia is an advantage. Then gone through and analyzed and worked out categories and based on the category would say the likelihood of what people would do and a lot of mechanical skills engineering skills even doctors will have dyslexia haven't you ever wondered why doctors can't spell. My favorite was where almost everybody at MIT has dyslexia.

Oh the book why was I not happy with the book? The purpose of the book was really to show parents today that your child has a lot of potential look at all these people with dyslexia basically everyone it's a millionaire probably has dyslexia everybody at MIT has dyslexia doctors have dyslexia all kinds of famous people have dyslexia so my interpretation is if were not all millionaires we suck. Because the book assumes that it's today where kids hopefully will get help for dyslexia unlike when I was in school where once they figured out the problem it was too late.

Oh and then written tests? When I was school in Switzerland he said don't worry about the test and I didn't worry about it because I assumed I would fail the written which I basically did. Fortunately I was number two on the practical exam. Unfortunately one of the students that didn't do well on the practical was a mechanical engineer and he aced the written exam which meant the average overall score dropped me to fourth place. But who cares I did really good on the practical.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Oh and then written tests? When I was school in Switzerland he said don't worry about the test and I didn't worry about it because I assumed I would fail the written which I basically did. Fortunately I was number two on the practical exam. Unfortunately one of the students that didn't do well on the practical was a mechanical engineer and he aced the written exam which meant the average overall score dropped me to fourth place. But who cares I did really good on the practical.

Not passing the exam made it impossible for advancement, no matter my personal skill level. I became one of three in the country at my particular skill, however I could never be promoted to be in charge as I 'was not qualified'. My own fault. If I had taken the exam earlier in my career, before the change, I would have been able to move up the ladder. Never bothered me as I was happy where I was. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Took the plunge and obtained a crown from Cousins UK as suggested. Part of a purchase with a crystal for a Doxa. 

Wrong one . Stem thread is too large for the crown thread. No criticism against the member who gave me the information. I did the check and made the decision to purchase myself. It did look to be the correct one.

So, still looking for a crown for a 6119 8080. Seiko 35M1OA1. Generic J35M1OY.

Have a lovely watch, but am unable to wind hands. 

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar, more information

4 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Wrong one . Stem thread is too large for the crown thread

Can you give us the exact part number of the crown that's wrong so when were looking we know which one is wrong from which one is right. Then excluding the part of the thread size is wrong does the crown fit the watch? So there's only a thread size issue is everything else right because that is helpful when looking up these type of crowns if we know the size is right.

16 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Can you give us the exact part number of the crown that's wrong so when were looking we know which one is wrong from which one is right. Then excluding the part of the thread size is wrong does the crown fit the watch? So there's only a thread size issue is everything else right because that is helpful when looking up these type of crowns if we know the size is right.

Not sure how much more I can tell you

6119 8080. Seiko crown for this case is 35M1OA1. Generic J35M1OY.  Stem is 357611  (part no. from the Seiko pdf.).

Crown is thread is too small for the stem thread. 

Photograph attached

The crown is the new one. The piece next to the stem is the broken crown (head sheared off). As can bee seen the stem thresd is much greater than the new crown thread. Sorry its a poor photograph.

IMG_20230617_131015.jpg

5 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

How modify redefine my question? If you take the new crown does it fit in the case? In other words will it fit visually doesn't look right is it too small is it too big other than the thread size is at the right crown for your case?

41 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

@rossjackson01, maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but : as you know the stem thread diameter, and can measure the stem tube size, why can't you order a generic crown? - or is it a non-standard thread? 

That's what I wondered, cousins even have a selector tool. You can add the required dimensions. 

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

How modify redefine my question? If you take the new crown does it fit in the case? In other words will it fit visually doesn't look right is it too small is it too big other than the thread size is at the right crown for your case?

Oh! Understand what you mean. I think.

The new crown would not fit the case. It has , no shoulder? Sorry for my ignorance in terminology. I really struggle reading the documentation.

IMG_20230617_154416.jpg

4 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

The new crown would not fit the case. It has , no shoulder? Sorry for my ignorance in terminology. I really struggle reading the documentation.

The unfortunate problems that now means that we can't help you with a crown. The best thing to do would be to take the crown number go to eBay and make a search and save the search and if it ever comes in the stock they will email you and you can purchase your crown. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, broccolini said:

35M10NG

Yes it's amazing this stuff you accumulate a very large Ziploc bag with handwritten envelopes from various material houses with stems and crowns I thought there are largely Seiko but I was wrong turns out they were Seiko, pulsar and a variety of miscellaneous stuff. Now they're all separate into their categories and one of the Seiko envelopes had a handwritten case number on it 6119B – 8080. Normally wouldn't see a letter on a casing number the movement number yes because it did come in some variations. I have attached an image of the package the crown which is not exactly the same as yours similar but not exactly the same?

image.thumb.png.6bd1a0a4ac34d5f2352e5791316ff895.png

.Then because this is an older case I was looking in my catalog from Cas-Ker Dated 1993. I was checking the website the see if they had are available as a PDF but unfortunately it's not. They case it's a whole variety of watch companies including Seiko for looking up crystals crowns and stems. So for 6119 – 8080 The crown is listed as 35M10NS1 Which does not agree with the part number on the envelope. Then the stem number is this 354615 which doesn't agree with the stem number in this conversation But don't worry we'll get to that confusion.

Then let's go to our favorite website and look up the case number and see what we get.

image.thumb.png.050f21053da556831568c673c8ddc8c6.png

This does bring up the peculiar problem of the un-exact nature of case numbers. This actually seems a quite common for instance Omega give a case number and will the parts will interchange no because it could be a stainless case arose goal case a yellow ball case a stainless case with gold trim and sometimes the crystals are not identical to ask he sized double different and I wasn't sure why that was. So in the case of the Seiko case we see that it could be either yellow or white.

9 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

6119 8080. Seiko crown for this case is 35M1OA1. Generic J35M1OY.  Stem is 357611  (part no. from the Seiko pdf.).

Then of course there is the stem problem here number versus the number on the website doesn't seem to agree? Plus and I'm sure we've had this discussion before according to website there are two separate stems with different Sizes and that would be an issue also.

image.thumb.png.574c4b1478f6454dc980e08811e8267c.png

As try an entirely different website look up your movement number and see what stem is supposed to be in the watch. Notice were getting a theme here everything is indicating one number and you have another number but don't worry the confusion will continue.

image.png.d5d00b266056d15cc5bf36480554dbd3.png

When I'm on this website let's take your part number and see what a cross references to.

9 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

Stem is 357611  (part no. from the Seiko pdf.).

Your number doesn't agree with the other numbers but does that make it a wrong number?

image.png.421bbd0b7752fd535fcfffbdf326a312.png

Of course we get another problem it does cross reference but to the be version of the movement. And I go back to the website they gave us both some numbers and looked at all the variations the 6119 and I see the exact same thing I do not see your number at all and it comes in two separate stem thread sizes.

Continuing with my insanity of whatever I'm doing now I went looking for something but while I'm here I downloaded a PDF the service manual and I snipped out an image for you should make you happy you probably still don't have the right stem by the way. When you're looking at the 6119B parts list on the list itself for the one and only stem there is a symbol ego to the bottom of the page it says go to the next page and we see the image below.

image.png.95dde7c4def210648163a2db4ea45a25.png

Let's look at a different tech sheet 6119 a which is really only the parts list unfortunately

image.png.afec767b2e5cbcdef694c4c8b318d753.png

Now we finally get both numbers your number and everyone else's number for the same watch. They go to the bottom of the page you find out that the stem your stem with the star is only for watches with a rotating ring I'm guessing what the variation in all the numbers really means is it's probably the length of the stem. Conceivably I haven't ever replaced a Seiko stem that I'm aware of but it's possible that the stem has been cut to the exact length required for the particular case and if you have a case with a rotating ring you going to need a longer stem so unlike the Swiss were you get a generic stem and you cut to fit conceivably Seiko makes the stem of the right length. With the added bonus of into different thread sizes possibly.

I found another PDF going to snip out an image from it. The PDF has crystal codes that the very end has the crown coats kind of

image.png.2a0e0c159ddc4294a1cb359966df79d4.png

All if you want to have some fun take the case number and Google that can see what the images look like just to see if any of the crowns look like they should be the right crown on the watch

seiko_crystal_codes.pdf

• Thanks 1

John

Thank you so much for spending time doing the searches for me. I already had the same information from some documents that you posted. I have struggled to make all the facts make a good conclusion for me . Hence my further questions .

I think my only answer is to make a purchase of a another 6119a. I actually did this and the 'nice' person sent me a movement without a case or a stem. I did get a refund. Taken the bullet today and now made another ebay purchase of a 6119 6000. 896304. This is a complete watch.

Fingers crossed.

Broccolini

Thank you for finding the similar crown.  Shame I live in Scotland. Postage is prohibitive. £20. Ah well. My ebay purchase of 6119 6000 is less.

Keeping the faith. Still loving the hobby. Good innit?

Ross

Seiko 6119-l1600.jpg

seiko 6119-l1600a.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar, more information

On 6/17/2023 at 3:16 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Photograph attached

The crown is the new one. The piece next to the stem is the broken crown (head sheared off). As can bee seen the stem thresd is much greater than the new crown thread. Sorry its a poor photograph.

IMG_20230617_131015.jpg

The stem for this model  is 354615 .