It's me again. With another problem. I'm not going to give up.

Are Seiko stem differnet sizes to other watches?

I have a 6119A that has a broken crown. I removed the stem and uncoupled the crown. I have a set of crowns, but non fit. Can anyone advise me as to what size may fit the stem please. Stem measures 0.8mm.

CM230429-142927001.jpg

IMG_20230429_143517.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01

9 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

I have a set of crowns, but non fit.

normally when I think of Seiko crowns I think of a crown that looks different than what your assortment has. I think is Swiss crowns as having a gasket inside the crown that goes around the tube. Where crowns Seiko typically has it's a little tiny gasket that goes on the crown and goes inside the tube. To that may be an issue perhaps then of course there's the thread size issue.

as I was just on this website finding a jewel for somebody on this group let's see what they have for Seiko crowns. No pictures of but we have a problem notice they're not just the standard 10 there also 11 and 13 that will be a problem.

https://www.ofrei.com/shop-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi

then let's look at the parts list at this link and now we know what the problem is. Go down the list and see if the stem and there's two of them one of them is a tap 9 which may be what you have. So yes it appears to be that Seiko stems like Swiss stems can come in different diameter sizes and they will not fit a crown designed for a size that you don't have.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=SEK_6119A

• Sad 1

On 4/30/2023 at 12:22 AM, JohnR725 said:

normally when I think of Seiko crowns I think of a crown that looks different than what your assortment has. I think is Swiss crowns as having a gasket inside the crown that goes around the tube. Where crowns Seiko typically has it's a little tiny gasket that goes on the crown and goes inside the tube. To that may be an issue perhaps then of course there's the thread size issue.

as I was just on this website finding a jewel for somebody on this group let's see what they have for Seiko crowns. No pictures of but we have a problem notice they're not just the standard 10 there also 11 and 13 that will be a problem.

https://www.ofrei.com/shop-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi

Cant get access to that site.

I get the error message

We're sorry, but there was an error in your form data!

You must specify a valid value for: your storeid .

Please go back and try it again.

Anyone got an idea how I overcome that error please.

Would reply like to get this Seiko working

On 4/29/2023 at 2:45 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Can't locate a crown for a 6119a case 8080. 

Can anyone give me advice?

Are Seiko crowns specific to Seiko cases?

Anyone had the problem I have.

If I can't locate one, then I intend to take one of the crowns out of my XIAOJIA case, 5.0 +3, and drill out the interior, then glue?, the outer to the piece that I have . Seems the only option.. Advice on that method please?

CM230429-142927001.jpg

IMG_20230429_143517.jpg

Can't locate a crown for a 6119a case 8080. 

Can anyone give me advice?

Are Seiko crowns specific to Seiko cases?

Anyone had the problem I have.

If I can't locate one, then I intend to take one of the crowns out of my XIAOJIA case, 5.0 +3, and drill out the interior, then glue?, the outer to the piece that I have . Seems the only option.. Advice on that method please?

Edited by rossjackson01

so you looking for casing parts for a Seiko 6119-8080

then you might Bilbo finds something like this link case parts for that case number

https://www.boley.de/en/case-parts/seiko/1067.6119-8080?p=282&s=50

crown Seiko 35M10N

from somewhere else I get a slightly different part number 35M10NS1 which looks like it's available on cousins website.

or you might even get a link like this where the crowns and discontinued but you can use a generic one. But I would try cousins first

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=SEK_CS^6119-8080

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

so you looking for casing parts for a Seiko 6119-8080

then you might Bilbo finds something like this link case parts for that case number

https://www.boley.de/en/case-parts/seiko/1067.6119-8080?p=282&s=50

crown Seiko 35M10N

from somewhere else I get a slightly different part number 35M10NS1 which looks like it's available on cousins website.

or you might even get a link like this where the crowns and discontinued but you can use a generic one. But I would try cousins first

Thank you John.

Yes, it is 35M10N that I need. Confirmed from a seller on ebay that did not have it in stock.

35M10NA1 = yellow. 35M10NS1 = steel. However Cousins do not have either in stock. Bummer!

At least I now have the part number. Never realised how difficult a part would be. Now I know why the seller jumped at my offer. 

Anyone got any advice on the drilling project?

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

did you look at the link I had above? If you did you would find

CROWN, WHITE 35M10NS1  Discontinued - Use J-35M10W

oh dear is discontinued that's the problem that page you'll have to make one because oh wait are they suggesting a replacement. We probably don't want even waste our time on the replacement because we did it would take you to a link like this. It also confirms what I suspected it's a style of crown found on Seiko or other Japanese watches the part number is indication of what it is 3.5 mm for the diameter 10. Looks like it's available.

http://www.julesborel.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7208/.f

• Thanks 1

John. You are so good at searching. Thank you.

Borel do indeed have the equivalent 35M10NA1 which is the  j-35M10Y and is available at $3.95. That's good.

Postage from the USA is $20. That's bad.

Have to have a good think on this.

Going to give the drill operation a try first.

Again. Thank you

Ross

I would just keep an eye open on eBay it exists in a generic form it should exist sooner or later on eBay. Then I don't know if all the other US material houses charge the same shipping maybe somebody else. Then of course some of the other material houses in the UK perhaps may have it. Cousins isn't the only mature louse in the UK

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

John. You are so good at searching. Thank you.

Borel do indeed have the equivalent 35M10NA1 which is the  j-35M10Y and is available at $3.95. That's good.

Postage from the USA is $20. That's bad.

Have to have a good think on this.

Going to give the drill operation a try first.

Again. Thank you

Ross

What about trying  Cleaves & Co

https://gleave.london/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 2:45 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Stem measures 0.8mm.

CM230429-142927001.jpg

Yes it is me again. Still trying.

I have found that the crown for the 6119 8080 is not available. Nor is the alternative 35M10NA1 which is the  j-35M10Y. Not in the UK at least. And to pay £30 for a crown when I purchased the watch for £10, does feel excessive. I therefore need to purchase a crown which has the tube diameter of 0.8mm. The ones I have obtained only go up to 0.5mm as can be seen in the original post at the top. Just to clarify. The thread on the stem I measured at 0.8mm diameter.

Part number of the crown on the Seiko 6119a sheet is 998610, and for the stem 357611. I have looked on Cousins but the crown is not listed.  https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/japanese-style-for-seiko-citizen?code=AF5101

I cannot find any crown of that size. Are they so unusual? A Seiko watch is a Seiko watch.  I would really appreciate advice on which to purchase. 

I have the watch, cleaned and ready to assemble. But I will not start until I have the full list.

Hope someone can help.

Thank you

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar, more information

Not sure why the above did not re-post. Hoping that this has the desired effect for someone to read.

CM230429-142927001.jpg

Yes it is me again. Still trying.

I have found that the crown for the 6119 8080 is not available. Nor is the alternative 35M10NA1 which is the  j-35M10Y. Not in the UK at least. And to pay £30 for a crown when I purchased the watch for £10, does feel excessive. I therefore need to purchase a crown which has the tube diameter of 0.8mm. The ones I have obtained only go up to 0.5mm as can be seen in the original post at the top. Just to clarify. The thread on the stem I measured at 0.8mm diameter.

Part number of the crown on the Seiko 6119a sheet is 998610, and for the stem 357611. I have looked on Cousins but the crown is not listed.  https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/japanese-style-for-seiko-citizen?code=AF5101

I cannot find any crown of that size. Are they so unusual? A Seiko watch is a Seiko watch.  I would really appreciate advice on which to purchase. 

I have the watch, cleaned and ready to assemble. But I will not start until I have the full list.

Hope someone can help.

Thank you

Edited by rossjackson01

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Unfortunately I  can't help but I don't know why a generic crown won't suit.  Is there a reason ?

When you say generic, I'm also not sure what you mean. None of the crowns I have fit the 8m stem. I can't find any crowns that have an internal screw diameter of 8mm. As you can see from the box, the sizes go from 3mm to 5.0 +3 mm. Don't know what the +3 means.

The largest 5.0 +3mm does not come close to screwing onto the stem.

image.thumb.png.32593255f1e9ff0803155b0d36a4e6d9.png

I'm confused. You say that the tap size is 0.8mm, but above you say 8mm stem :

19 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

None of the crowns I have fit the 8m stem. I can't find any crowns that have an internal screw diameter of 8mm.

I guess you mean 0.8mm? 

Then you say 

20 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

As you can see from the box, the sizes go from 3mm to 5.0 +3 mm. Don't know what the +3 means.

The largest 5.0 +3mm does not come close to screwing onto the stem.

I think those sizes on the box are the crown diameter. In each selection there's probably a range of stem sizes, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0.  The other number +2, +3 could be the width of the stem tube?

Measure the stem tube and crown diameter and you can get them from Cousins.

the problem you're having one fitting a stem and crown it is the thread size of both of them has to be right or they will not screwed together at all or will be to loosen probably strip out.

Then there is the style of the crown oh wait that's a waterproof crown I see that on the box no problem that's the right style oh wait is it?

I swiped a picture off one of the websites notice there is actually about three types of waterproof crowns but we only care about two styles the Japanese-style and basically everything else. What is the difference the Japanese-style has a little tiny gaskets on the center part that goes inside the case to. Everything else is different it has a much larger gasket that's buried inside that actually goes around the outside of the case to. Or basically they're both waterproof but they're different styles of a crown

then the box of waterproof crowns almost all of them look like your standard crown except we really need the lid opened up looks like three of them in the lower right-hand side it may be a Japanese-style crown.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:40 AM, RichardHarris123 said:

Cousins has a search facility 

conveniently I'm not finding that but I found something else on cousins doesn't seem to be available but it does answer a lot of questions. First off look at the tap size they come in seven, eight and nine and typically the most common tap size of a crown not Japanese-style is 10. So probably your box is filled with 10 and I think yours is tap nine that might've been mentioned way up up above in the two stems types for your watch so if you cannot screwing your stem onto the crowns in the box it's because the tap size is wrong so that your first problem at the link below seeing as how the Japanese ones are different tap sizes you're seeing what you should be seeing long Size so your gut have to get a stem to correspond the tap 10 or were have to get the right generic crown if we can figure out where to find it on the cousins website

https://www.cousinsuk.com/sku/details/discjapanese-style-watch-crowns/c0399

4 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

That is a Chinese crown set. They are all 0.9mm tap. The +2, +3 refers to the length of crown pipe.

If you need 0 8mm tap, you have to get individual sizes from a supply house.

I was avoiding rereading the entire  discussion but I think it's all here.  so like this wrong Size C have to get the right Size or it isn't going to thread. Also the Chinese crown set as I pointed out is the wrong set except possibly the three crowns are three sizes in the bottom that we really can't see properly.

19 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

so if we take all the knowledge we've learned were looking for a 3.5 mm tap 8.  So we can either look at the generic ones on the label or does go down the page and see if they have anything. Any case I'm attaching another image there is only one other little concern is the reference to long pipe. I'm not going reread and go look for what the original was I can't read that's a long pipe or a short pipe but it looks promising on the website to me

so basically regarding your question you have to have the right crown style for the type of watch are seeking a crown for as there's lots of different styles is the one image shows. Then of course the right diameter and definitely the thread size has to be right as you've already found out.

crown waterproof Japanese versus normal.JPG

Japanese crowns generic off of cousins website.jpg

Japanese-style crown individual 3.5.JPG

Edited by JohnR725

Mikpilk, Hectorlooi, Richard & John

Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me. Yes, I do find it difficult when tying to assimilate information from the internet.  When I see numbers lists, I can't tell the difference between items next to each other. Dyslexia rules K.O. 

I now know definitely which one I need to order. Saved me trying to find a 6119a movement on ebay, as I now do believe that the case number defines the crown. 

I'm way for a week for my 75th, Woohoo! Will keep you updated on my return.

Thank you all.

Regards

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar

You know what's interesting, dyslexia is language specific. And I think it's genetic. 

I suspect I'm a Chinese dyslexic.  Even after 12 years of Chinese as a second language, I can't can't even make it through a preschool reader.

As far as I know, none of my relatives from my father's side of the family ever excelled in Chinese. One of my nephews even had it officially diagnosed and he's exempted from learning Chinese. 

But we all develop compensatory techniques to overcome our deficiencies. Maybe you should try taking up Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic.... Something that doesn't use English alphabet.