My nemesis Sekonda 26 jewels/Slava 2428

This is my third attempt at one of these. I love the twin main spring barrel affair going on.

The first I feel resembling a small gold nugget was a fluke and I got lucky. The second one defeated me (taught me a lot) and has sat in box taunting me. In the intervening time I acquired some more wrecks. All the Sekonda's I seem to come across, seem to have been well loved and filthy.

This particular attempt didn't disappoint. Issues to deal with: 

Worn out winding bridge,  two nice ovals where circles should be.

Both mainsprings barrels were rusty/scored inside and one of the mainsprings was far from flat. My salvaged ones from the scrap weren't much better, revealing another broken spring. Luckily I had two serviceable barrels and springs in the scrap box. 

On the movement holder one of the dial screws was jammed in with the tip of the previous individuals screwdriver lodged in the top. No worries I had a spare.

The centre wheel where the second hand attaches had snapped off. The first replacement although intact was rusty, thankfully the last other one was fine.

Then just as I thought I was home free after oiling the dial side shock jewel and fiddling with the three pronged spring successfully reinstalled. I then go and lose the complete balance side shock assembly. Much mumbling/cursing followed by a long break and another dip into the scrap bin for the parts.

I feel it's an achievement as it's taken me on and off over a week to get it to this stage running, but there's still the last bit to go with the calendar works and a choice to make as to which case to choose.

The purple dial intrigues me as I've never seen one in this colour, and did wonder if it was blue originally.

It's been a battle and we seem to be getting along a bit better. I'll post pictures once I've got it fully completed.

20230427_174330.jpg

20230427_174349.jpg

20230427_174428.jpg

20230427_174450.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Evening,

By way of an update, I finally finished it and it's been running for a good month or two now. A couple of seconds fast over a week. Been busy round the house and outdoor stuff, would've posted sooner. Had some difficulty with the quickset date which had me crossed eyed for a bit. It wasn't snapping round as smartly as it should, cracked it in the end though. Been a huge learning experience in troubleshooting and confidence. Not sure I'd dive into another again right away.

Obligatory wrist shot and timegrapher pictures attached. Timegrapher (face down) shot taken about a week after I had it running. Didn't think it was too bad for what was a bag of spanners to start with. 

20230503_162706.jpg

20230502_181528.jpg

• Like 1